Why do I feel like ****aki after every MS2 test?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Robotman

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Seriously, Pathophys/Pharm I feel like absolute garbage. I thought I would stop feeling this way after MS 1 or at least after Path since Pathophys is practically the same as path and physio review. What is going on.

I got my pathophys grade back after the midterm and got 91% but I still feel like drained and have no idea how I got the answers right like it was pure luck.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You have classmates that may have barely passed, but they're not complaining, they try to see what went wrong and look ahead...because one exam grade in pre-clinical years doesn't matter.

And if it's about feeling like you don't know anything, welcome to the club. I think most med students feel that way, but you know more than you think. Be thankful you did well, and go out, it's Friday night.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The thing is I know this by now, I'm a few months from step studying, I just hate this feel.

Subtle I got a 91% on an exam thread.

Reactions: 17 users
Subtle I got a 91% on an exam thread.

I know how most these threads work; but I'm in carib. So its not like I'm at harvard. The true problem is by MS2 I'd think I'd stop feeling like this, but I always feel impending doom.

At least you aren't below average #FM here I come,

Seriously, Pathophys/Pharm I feel like absolute garbage. I thought I would stop feeling this way after MS 1 or at least after Path since Pathophys is practically the same as path and physio review. What is going on.

I got my pathophys grade back after the midterm and got 91% but I still feel like drained and have no idea how I got the answers right like it was pure luck.

Wut? If I got 91% on a test I'd be ****ing ecstatic.

I know how most these threads work; but I'm in carib. So its not like I'm at harvard. The true problem is by MS2 I'd think I'd stop feeling like this, but I always feel impending doom.

Why would you think you would stop feeling tired? The information doesn't become less, it's just more interesting --- Pharmacology, Pathology, etc. that are much more clinically applicable.

Reactions: 1 users
I hate this anxiety before tests like I've never done this before.

I hate this anxiety before tests like I've never done this before.

I understand where you're coming from. You haven't done this before; the stakes are much higher. Every medical student (at least those on SDN) understand how low yield our current efforts may be even if we match well into something we want to do (see anesthesiology forums..). And you, coming from the Caribbean, feel this pressure 10 fold.

But we shouldn't be fatalistic, especially now that were strapped into this ride. I really wouldn't want to do anything else and every time I join my preceptor I really do feel energized. Just remember the adjustment you made in first year and realize it's happening again. It took longer than 7 weeks to feel totally comfortable in MS1 and it will too in MS2.

Members don't see this ad :)
You could have left out your exam score and still made the point of the post. Or just said you did better than expected but feel like you didn't really learn it.

I understand where you're coming from. You haven't done this before; the stakes are much higher. Every medical student (at least those on SDN) understand how low yield our current efforts may be even if we match well into something we want to do (see anesthesiology forums..). And you, coming from the Caribbean, feel this pressure 10 fold.

But we shouldn't be fatalistic, especially now that were strapped into this ride. I really wouldn't want to do anything else and every time I join my preceptor I really do feel energized. Just remember the adjustment you made in first year and realize it's happening again. It took longer than 7 weeks to feel totally comfortable in MS1 and it will too in MS2.
THIS. Once you're strapped in, a fatalistic attitude, no matter how much it might feel true, is the worst thing you can have. It makes the job harder.

got > 1 SD above mean on exam today, damn it feels good to be a gangster

Reactions: 7 users
Well 87 on pharm class average was 75. Yet I felt like I was going to fail the test; i don't feel like this is real and i dont ever feel confident in my performance. I just want to feel stable. Why is that so hard to have?

idk how you don't feel stable if you're in the 90+ percentile. sounds like you're a drama queen TBH. if you do that well, you should be able to rationalize that it's not about passing or failing the exam, it's how good you can do. it's like someone getting a 250 on step 1 saying they thought they failed. sorry don't buy it.

Well 87 on pharm class average was 75. Yet I felt like I was going to fail the test; i don't feel like this is real and i dont ever feel confident in my performance. I just want to feel stable. Why is that so hard to have?

Must be nice to have fake problems

Reactions: 6 users
Talk to a student mental health counselor at your school. It sounds like these feelings are making you miserable despite the success you're having. Nothing anyone says on SDN is going to help you get through this more than talking to a trained professional is going to.

Reactions: 6 users

No ****. I get an 85 on an exam (which I was totally happy with), and I'm still below average. It's what I get for being a literature major in a sea of bio/biochem majors. Being above average would feel like totally acing the exam, even if the grade isn't that great.

I embellished a little to hide the school i attended but my problem is real and so is what I am saying:

P4xAlec.png

This is officially a humblebrag thread. Also you go to SGU.

No ****. I get an 85 on an exam (which I was totally happy with), and I'm still below average. It's what I get for being a literature major in a sea of bio/biochem majors. Being above average would feel like totally acing the exam, even if the grade isn't that great.
Thank goodness for "true" P/F grading. You're fine with an 85 on professor-made exams.

I feel your pain OP.

Whenever I get a 100% I can't review my missed questions like everyone else.

How am I supposed to learn from my mistakes???

Reactions: 15 users
Thank goodness for "true" P/F grading. You're fine with an 85 on professor-made exams.

Totally agree. I just like to keep the dream alive of getting 90s on the exams as a challenge to myself.

great post

I embellished a little to hide the school i attended but my problem is real and so is what I am saying:

P4xAlec.png

If you're a rational person and you're going to get 1SD above the mean, you're aware that it's not debatable if you pass or not.

So why are you complaining again? I'm confused.

Whats confusing you and 90% of the people in this thread? I'm unsure. It states it clearly in OP. The grades aren't the problem its to illustrate a point.

Whats confusing you and 90% of the people in this thread? I'm unsure. It states it clearly in OP. The grades aren't the problem its to illustrate a point.
I think you're just anxious that no matter how you well you do it's never good enough, which I think is compounded by being a Carribbean student and all that entails (Match, etc.) Have you talked with a psychiatrist?

No, it's the OPs need for attention. Let me put this really simple. If you want an adequate predictor of how you will do on an exam, you take practice questions. Your score on the practice questions is likely to be similar to your score on a real exam. Therefore when you get an 85 on the practice questions, you don't have to throw a fit, and be a little child and say " MOMMY I THOUGHT I DID SO BAD AND FAILED BUT I GOT A 90!!!!" You can be a grown up and say, " hm well I studied pretty well and I got an 88 average on the practice questions but I didn't think I did so well on the actual exam so I probably ended up somewhere around 83-85."

The people that pull the " OMG I FAILED," stuff when they get the class average or higher annoy me more than any other group. It just shows you are the most irrational person possible. These 90-150 questions exams aren't statistically likely to throw out magic numbers that are different than what you deserve. You're pretty likely going in to know what you're going to get, within a reasonable range.

No, it's the OPs need for attention. Let me put this really simple. If you want an adequate predictor of how you will do on an exam, you take practice questions. Your score on the practice questions is likely to be similar to your score on a real exam. Therefore when you get an 85 on the practice questions, you don't have to throw a fit, and be a little child and say " MOMMY I THOUGHT I DID SO BAD AND FAILED BUT I GOT A 90!!!!" You can be a grown up and say, " hm well I studied pretty well and I got an 88 average on the practice questions but I didn't think I did so well on the actual exam so I probably ended up somewhere around 83-85."

The people that pull the " OMG I FAILED," stuff when they get the class average or higher annoy me more than any other group. It just shows you are the most irrational person possible. These 90-150 questions exams aren't statistically likely to throw out magic numbers that are different than what you deserve. You're pretty likely going in to know what you're going to get, within a reasonable range.

I think you brought preconceived notions with you when you read my post and failed to read it for what it was; I come to this conclusion by your response.

I think you're just anxious that no matter how you well you do it's never good enough, which I think is compounded by being a Carribbean student and all that entails (Match, etc.) Have you talked with a psychiatrist?

I can see that, I just almost always never feel settled in. Southplains hit it on the head, I guess its common that I only feel settled when its 7 months into the year or at the end of that MS year. Those other things don't help. I doubt I will see a psychiatrist for something like this, I think I can get over it.

I think you brought preconceived notions with you when you read my post and failed to read it for what it was; I come to this conclusion by your response.

ask an NBA player if they think they suck at basketball. if you can get 90s, you know you know your stuff.

As someone who is currently riding on the strugglebus this thread is killing me.

douchebag.gif

I thought this was SDN where everyone was 4.0, 260 Step 1 with 23 First author research studies.

As someone who is currently riding on the strugglebus this thread is killing me.

douchebag.gif
Don't let it get to you. There are always insecure people (intentional or unintentional) who do this. It's an SDN thing. It's usually the type of person you'd push down the steps.

If my class size is 560 and I got this score, should I feel better or worse than if i got this score and my class size was like 100?