Why do I have a 3.95 Gpa and get 13's on the quantitative reasoning section?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mikedmd1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please help me understand why I can not get anything right on the quantitative reasoning section? I am studying from my friends Kaplan book and am taking the dat in august- about a month away, am i screwed....i will study 8 hours a day, I don't care, just please hook me up with some advice.

Members don't see this ad.

you're bad at math? what did you get in SAT Math, it should be close. You just need practice. Hell, I took the PSAT and got a 430, was so pissed that I kept doing problems, took the SAT and got a 750. Im scoring in the 20s on QR practice questions because of all the problems I did for SAT Math. Try getting an SAT MATH book

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are a junior in college and are majoring in science, the math classes you took in college represent less than 5% of your 3.95 gpa. The DAT math section is not difficult, you just have refresh your memory with practice. I think the actual dat math section is somewhat easier than Kaplan's, but that's just me.

I'm a Math major with a 3.95 Math GPA and i still mess up on QR. QR has all easy problems but time really kills me. I seem to be losing myself on a question always.

It's all about speed, time management, and accuracy,

Bingo. Learn Time Management. I am getting max 2 wrong on every practice test. ALL I did was relearn the basic equations, run through some quick tutorials on Kaplan online, and practice tests. It's just like math from high school. Practice, Practice, Practice.

I'm a Math major with a 3.95 Math GPA and i still mess up on QR. QR has all easy problems but time really kills me. I seem to be losing myself on a question always.

I'm in the same boat. I can't seem to get in the 20s on my math, but I've been improving. First try to do as many math problems sets as you can with accuracy first, to familiarize yourself with those type of questions. Then you gotta work on your time management. Do questions that you can solve correctly fast. Save long word problems for last since you're gonna spend extra time on it anyway and possibly get it wrong. Then say a short prey and hit C. =). I'm just kidding about that last part.

QR is the toughest section for me too. Good luck man.

Also keep in mind that QR section is the last section in the DATs, so you are tired and spend by the time you start the QR section.

Also keep in mind that QR section is the last section in the DATs, so you are tired and spend by the time you start the QR section.

Bingo, this is the key right here. By the time I got the to QR I was like
"All I have to do is get through this and I'm done", which obviously isn't the attitude you should have.

a math major that can't do math....hmmm....

ok streetwolf...what do you have to say about this one..????:confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol you guys are hilarious:laugh:

Anyways, like every1 said practice is the key thing. IF you are getting low score in kaplan online math, then don't worry about it too much. I think kaplan subject tests are crazy, but just try to understand as much as you can. Same thing happened to me as well! By the time I got to the QR section, I was so darn excited to find out how I did, that I kind of lost focus :rolleyes:

Are you going to put on your application that you are retaking it in August or are you leaving it as is?

Good luck!

Also the QR on the DAT is not just about knowing how to do the math. In college you could use a calculator on every test, here it is a much different story.
You can have the highest GPA in the world, but you can be cheating n tests or pulling other garbage. I have no idea why you cant do well on QR.
It could just be the pressure of doing speed math.

yea you need to get an SAT Math Book soon and go over it. I got a 780 on my SAT Math, and 730 and 740 on my SAT II Math IC and IIC. It's also just a matter of getting to every problem. If you think a problem is gonna take a you while, skip and come back to it later. KNOCK OUT ALL THE EASY PROBLEMS FIRST!!!!

Maybe he/she prefers theoretical and not applied. I love applied math and I'm really fast at it. Theoretical... eh. I could live without doing proofs, among other things.

Ditto and i also hated having to show the check for a calculation.