Why do I keep getting waitlisted?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ClockworkDoc

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just can't get passed that damned waitlist no matter where I interview...with the exception of Downstate where I got straight out rejected. My mdapp is found below if you want more info. Do you think that I could just be an unlikable person or is there something else that I am missing?

Members don't see this ad.

I feel ya, bud..I'm 0-2-2 with 1 to come. Worst case scenario, I've realized, is that next year is a building year. It's not so bad..good luck. Keep your chin up, shoot for the stars!

At least you got accepted somewhere.

I don't know, but your MCAT is awesome.

Maybe you don't interview well?

Hey don't feel bad about that Wake Forest rejection though. When I submitted my application I got an email saying "We have received your application.. blah blah". About 15 minutes later I got an email that said "After careful inspection... we cannot offer you a position."

15 whole minutes of careful inspection.

Members don't see this ad :)
i think you have pretty good stats (the gpa is a bit on the low side, but your mcat should make up for it). i'm surprised you're getting waitlisted so much! do you know if you interview well? also, maybe you might have weak letters of rec?

good thing you at least have one acceptance! :)
i'm still anxiously waiting for one.

i would suggest you write letters of interest/updates to all your waitlisted schools. show them you're still interested and really want to go! good luck :)

Well if you were an unlikeable person, you'd probably be flat-out rejected instead of waitlisted.

Maybe you just didn't do anything particularly distinguishable during the interviews. Granted, in most interviews, you're supposed to be proper. They probably didn't think that you were interested enough in their schools.

Or, if you want to speculate, it might be that your great MCAT score is causing certain schools to waitlist you because they think that you wouldn't attend their school, which would be cruelly ironic since you're obviously desperate to do just that.

Anyway, keep your chin up and hope for the best. Probability wise, you're bound to get one MD acceptance or get off of one waitlist. So you've got hope and probability on your side.
-Dr. P.

P.S.: I loved the tidbit on your md app: "NYMC....I thought they accepted everyone." Well, apparently not. :)

Nice stats. Weird outcome. Cheer up. I was pulled from the waitlist from Buffalo 1 and a half months after I found out. You won't necessarily have to wait until June to hear back from that school. Also, I decided to withdraw from Buffalo so hopefully that'll give you a fighting chance!

I think NYMC has a high waitlist movement. Seems like alot of people I talked to during my day there came from the waitlist. Good luck. At least you have an acceptance. Some people don't even have interviews :(

I'm in the same boat (CA resident with pretty high MCAT but not as high as yours). I think you may be getting waitlisted because many of those schools think you will proably get into a CA school and then blow them off. If you let them know you really want to go there they would probably pull you off the waitlist. They want to keep their acceptance rates as low as possible.

It is because your GPA is on the low side....I'm sure you'll get accepted b/c of your mcat but it will probably just be closer to May 15 ....at this point they are still comparing you to people who have interviewed that have high MCATS and high GPAs...

I just can't get passed that damned waitlist no matter where I interview...with the exception of Downstate where I got straight out rejected. My mdapp is found below if you want more info. Do you think that I could just be an unlikable person or is there something else that I am missing?

with those stats it is definately your interview skills. you need to sit down with an advisor and have them give you an impartial opinion. On paper you look great so it must be your interview skills.

with those stats it is definately your interview skills. you need to sit down with an advisor and have them give you an impartial opinion. On paper you look great so it must be your interview skills.

And how do you know that? Were you present at his interviews? As always seems to be the case, everyone assumes that this is just a numbers game. High MCAT + High/Decent GPA = Admission. Doesn't always work that way. I've seen people with better stats than the OP's not even get interviews!

Maybe the OP's ECs weren't viewed as being particularly impressive. Maybe his personal statement sucked. Maybe his secondary essays (if applicable) were not well written. Maybe his LORs weren't great. Maybe he doesn't interview well. Maybe all of the above. Who knows?

To the OP, hang in there. The fat lady hasn't sung yet. She may be warming up her vocal cords, but it'll be at least five more months before she starts belting out the song that none of us want to hear.

And how do you know that? Were you present at his interviews? As always seems to be the case, everyone assumes that this is just a numbers game. High MCAT + High/Decent GPA = Admission. Doesn't always work that way. I've seen people with better stats than the OP's not even get interviews!

Maybe the OP's ECs weren't viewed as being particularly impressive. Maybe his personal statement sucked. Maybe his secondary essays (if applicable) were not well written. Maybe his LORs weren't great. Maybe he doesn't interview well. Maybe all of the above. Who knows?

To the OP, hang in there. The fat lady hasn't sung yet. She may be warming up her vocal cords, but it'll be at least five more months before she starts belting out the song that none of us want to hear.

I agree with you :). Maybe it's just a very subjective process and they didn't like your suit.

Don't beat yourself up OP!!! You are on a bunch of waitlists and if you pursue your position on them with updates and whatnot, I'm sure you are going to get in to AT LEAST one of those schools. Best of luck :luck:

NEVER GIVE UP!

(kinda off topic) but this was really funny. :)

I disagree. You got rejected by Wake and Pitt, both of which should have given you an interview (or a secondary). I think it has to do with either what is contained in your primary application or your recommendations.

It's possible the places you did interview at didn't take a careful look at those two things until after the interview -- which is why they waitlisted you.

I disagree. You got rejected by Wake and Pitt, both of which should have given you an interview (or a secondary). I think it has to do with either what is contained in your primary application or your recommendations.

It's possible the places you did interview at didn't take a careful look at those two things until after the interview -- which is why they waitlisted you.

I agree. From talking to one interviewer, it appears that it's a number game, even after you've gotten an interview. I think that the interview lets you move up and down but only in the extreme cases. If you are high enough on the numbers game (interview counts here, an algorithm e.g. gpa+mcat+EC+LOR+Interview with their respective weights) you'll get an automatic in. The others they vote on so it depends...So it's not just the interview!

I agree with some of the above posters. Your MCAT is too high. They're waitlisting you because they think you won't go there. That's one of the many unfortunate consequences of dealing with these ADCOMs and their peculiar beliefs about your thoughts which they know nothing about...

Yeah, I got waitlisted almost immediately by Buffalo as well. I think they have probably sent out most of their acceptances already and have to wait for people to back out before they can send out more. I remember hearing from students there that almost all of them got in off of the waitlist, so I wouldn't worry too much, you still have a good shot of getting into those schools. Only the very top schools can get by without dipping too far into their waitlist, so don't rule out hope for any school unless you've been rejected.

You get the interviews because of great MCAT and OK everything else. To be accepted outright with that 3.4 you probably need to blow them away at this point in the cycle. You must be doing at least acceptably in your interviews, since you're waitlisted. I'll be very surprised if at least 1 of those doesn't turn into a yes by this spring, if not sooner.

Thanks everyone for the insight. I'll stop sweating it until May.

maybe your college isn't so impressive. and perhaps you're not good at interviewing. all this is pure speculation though

Hey at least you have heard back.....i interviewed and have heard nothing...i am guessing that they used my application as firewood for christmas and now they dont thave it..:(