Why Do I Want to Attend XXXXXX?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StritchMD2011

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This seems like a fairly common secondary question which asks an applicant to explain their interests in a particular medical school. Does anyone have any tips on what areas to talk about specifically? I'm not asking for how to write a generic statement of interest, but am instead interested in some ideas about what areas to write about. For example - mission statement, facilities, reputation, location, etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

i try to strike a happy medium between ass kissing and selfish reasons.

something like....I like bla bla and am good at bla bla, therefore, school X's state of the art center of bla bla will be good for me

but what do i know

BKadow said:
This seems like a fairly common secondary question which asks an applicant to explain their interests in a particular medical school. Does anyone have any tips on what areas to talk about specifically? I'm not asking for how to write a generic statement of interest, but am instead interested in some ideas about what areas to write about. For example - mission statement, facilities, reputation, location, etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

I recommend reading the website for the school...find out what the school takes pride in (ie: research, curing disease, service, etc.) and taylor your statement to their missions, goals, etc. Make sure you intertwine personal experiences with the school (explain why you would be a "perfect fit.")

Seems simple enough, right?

glck

-PG

Members don't see this ad :)
Well why did you apply to their school? Location? Prestige? GPA and MCAT averages for the school?

I would tend to focus on unique aspects of the school...and if you have a reason to like their location all the better

Why do you want to attend our school? Simple: because I want an MD degree and I hear you guys dish it out.

Falco2525 said:
Well why did you apply to their school? Location? Prestige? GPA and MCAT averages for the school?

I would tend to focus on unique aspects of the school...and if you have a reason to like their location all the better

do med schools really want to hear "i would love to live in that city"
i'd personally stay away from location reasons. after all most prompts are 200/250 words or fewer. why waste it on what everybody knows? (i.e. nyc would be a kick ass place to live)

ignore what i said above if the location is compounded by family nearby

keepdreaming said:
i'd personally stay away from location reasons. after all most prompts are 200/250 words or fewer. why waste it on what everybody knows? (i.e. nyc would be a kick ass place to live)

ignore what i said above if the location is compounded by family nearby

Agreed. They absolutely do not want to hear that you want to go to XYZ school simply because you always wanted to live in ABC city, or that you have a girlfriend there, etc. They want to know why you want to go to them specifically. All med schools feel that they have something unique and valuable to offer, beyond where they happen to be located. They also usually consider other local schools competitors, and so are less interested in you if your answer suggests that you would be just as happy at that other school in the same city. Find what sets this school apart from the pack and go with that answer.

Law2Doc said:
Agreed. They absolutely do not want to hear that you want to go to XYZ school simply because you always wanted to live in ABC city, or that you have a girlfriend there, etc. They want to know why you want to go to them specifically. All med schools feel that they have something unique and valuable to offer, beyond where they happen to be located. They also usually consider other local schools competitors, and so are less interested in you if your answer suggests that you would be just as happy at that other school in the same city. Find what sets this school apart from the pack and go with that answer.

but some schools are interested in knowing what your support network will be during med school. if we have friends in city a, then is this a worthy reason to mention a factor consequential to location?

and concerning nyc (where the location issue seems most sensitive), at least one school asks how we think we would cope with living in nyc. wouldn't other nyc schools also be curious as to whether we could handle a large city?

keepdreaming said:
i'd personally stay away from location reasons. after all most prompts are 200/250 words or fewer.
Schools want to hear about why you want to attend their school, not a school in their city.

That said, if you're applying to a med school in a place with a (ahem) non-obvious location and there are no other med schools nearby, a simple sentence giving a positive impression of the town can't hurt. Many med schools are hoping to graduate doctors that will practice medicine in that state. Any ties you can give to the city as an OOS can only help.

I basically go through their website and make a bulleted list of all the things remotely interesting about the school. then I form that into an essay.

however.. i would imagine it may be worth while to indicate why u want to go there b/c of the location if you're applying as an out-of-state applicant to a state school (i.e. speaking to your family ties or something within that state). because the school gets money from the state, i think (although rather minimal) they (state schools) want to put out doctors that will practice within their state and serve their residents.. either way i don't think it should be the focus of the essay.. just a blurb or so if the situation calls for it.

Doctor~Detroit said:
but some schools are interested in knowing what your support network will be during med school. if we have friends in city a, then is this a worthy reason to mention a factor consequential to location?

and concerning nyc (where the location issue seems most sensitive), at least one school asks how we think we would cope with living in nyc. wouldn't other nyc schools also be curious as to whether we could handle a large city?

I wouldn't go with location as a primary reason, period. Schools invest a lot of time and effort making themselve unique and "world class". They don't want to hear that the only thing you find appealing about them is their zip code, something they had no input in. Nor do they want to hear that the thing most appealing about their school is that you have friends nearby. Asking how you would cope with NYC is a very different question. In that question, you can talk about the city because they brought it up. (and BTW by bringing it up in a "coping" circumstance they are suggesting that in some people's view this is a potential negative of the school, not one of it's selling points that you should be pointing to).

Taliesinrk said:
however.. i would imagine it may be worth while to indicate why u want to go there b/c of the location if you're applying as an out-of-state applicant to a state school (i.e. speaking to your family ties or something within that state). because the school gets money from the state, i think (although rather minimal) they (state schools) want to put out doctors that will practice within their state and serve their residents.. either way i don't think it should be the focus of the essay.. just a blurb or so if the situation calls for it.

It's hardly ever the state schools that ask this question, precisely because they already know the reasons people stay in state.

Law2Doc said:
(and BTW by bringing it up in a "coping" circumstance they are suggesting that in some people's view this is a potential negative of the school, not one of it's selling points that you should be pointing to).

good point. it's suny-downstate, in brooklyn.

i just read the websites and found specific things that i liked.

and also, for temple, i mentioned somethign about their location as a reason why i would want to go there because i've heard interesting stories about the kinds of things they're exposed to in that part of philly. got me an interview...

Law2Doc said:
I wouldn't go with location as a primary reason, period. Schools invest a lot of time and effort making themselve unique and "world class". They don't want to hear that the only thing you find appealing about them is their zip code, something they had no input in. Nor do they want to hear that the thing most appealing about their school is that you have friends nearby. Asking how you would cope with NYC is a very different question. In that question, you can talk about the city because they brought it up. (and BTW by bringing it up in a "coping" circumstance they are suggesting that in some people's view this is a potential negative of the school, not one of it's selling points that you should be pointing to).

Exactly, you don't want to list location as a primary reason. It is perfectly ok, however, to mention that the location excites you because almost every single school sells itself by advertising it's location. But location should not be THE single deciding factor.

I personally think it is a good idea to let schools know (even if it is subtle) that you are excited and comfortable living in that environment. After all, beyond studying, attending lecture, and all that other jazz that goes along with medical school, living each day and being comfortable in your surroundings in extremely important.

GuzzyRon said:
Why do you want to attend our school? Simple: because I want an MD degree and I hear you guys dish it out.

Finally, someone who thought was I did!

ironmanf14 said:
Exactly, you don't want to list location as a primary reason. It is perfectly ok, however, to mention that the location excites you because almost every single school sells itself by advertising it's location. But location should not be THE single deciding factor.

I personally think it is a good idea to let schools know (even if it is subtle) that you are excited and comfortable living in that environment. After all, beyond studying, attending lecture, and all that other jazz that goes along with medical school, living each day and being comfortable in your surroundings in extremely important.

I agree as long as it's not the main reason, alot of school's will say, 'serving the underprivaleged in the ___ distict of ___" or something. I think the main difference is urban vs suburban vs out in the sticks, those are very different experiences. Just add a sentence, 20 words isnt going to kill you, and it will show that you can actually picture yourself living there for the next 4 years. Even tho they are "world class" they have a real physical location with real people to treat and if your excited about that that's a plus.

Also, I dont think Columbia is so self-concious to say "oh yea, of you like new york so much just go to AECOM" they're are a lot of resources in the city and they use it as a selling point. there plenty of nyc to share.

Ironhead2000 said:
Also, I dont think Columbia is so self-concious to say "oh yea, of you like new york so much just go to AECOM" they're are a lot of resources in the city and they use it as a selling point. there plenty of nyc to share.

Columbia will assume you like Cornell just as much if NYC is your primary selling point. And those at Columbia will think they have something different/better to offer than Cornell, and vice versa -- they do not consider their schools to be interchangeable, and don't want their students to either. So focusing in on a shared characteristic doesn't suggest to them that you are excited about that school. (AECOM is not as much a head to head competitor.)

it seems the debate about mentioning location really comes down to (1) mention it primarily (e.g. first characteristic and for more than a couple sentences), (2) mention it in passing (e.g. as the last characteristic and for two sentences or less), or (3) don't mention it at all.

everyone seems to agree that (1) is bad. most people seem to be okay with (2). any arguments in favor of (3)?