1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Why do I want to be a doctor???

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by H-Tee, Oct 14, 2002.

1. H-Tee

H-Tee Junior Member

For some reason, "Why do you want to be a doctor?" is a tough question for me.... I know I want to be one... I know the profession fascinates me and I feel a natural/ innate/fundamental/basic pull toward it, but what kind of answer is that? I've got to come up with a better one. I know the answer is very individualized, but sometimes hearing others opinions and inspirations can fuel your own... Responses???:rolleyes:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. vivekap2007

vivekap2007 cowtown indo hornet
    7+ Year Member

I've asked two doctors who are on two separate admissions committees why they wanted to be a doctor and they both said..."it was like a calling", they couldn't really quantify it any better than that. Looking back at your shadowing experiences, etc see what you liked about those and maybe write about that. It doesn't say anywhere that you have to have a traumatic experience in your life to want to be a doctor...just do your best to explain "the calling". best of luck

4. H-Tee

H-Tee Junior Member

So vive... what's your answer???

5. Andrew_Doan

Andrew_Doan Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    This is a clip-n-paste from my response to a previous post... I hope this helps...

This is why you need to be a life-long learner. It only gets harder and harder. I'm a resident now, and it's amazing how much stuff I still need to learn! I'm 31 and still reading, studying, and taking exams.

However, I still wouldn't trade careers. I love it. It's truly amazing how privileged physicians are. Here's a story of why I love this responsibility.

I'm on call tonight. It's mid-night and I get a call from a local ER doc. He tells me that he's sending to the eye clinic a kid who was making a potato launcher with his dad. They were using glue and some welding device to seal the joints. Guess what happened? The pseudo-pipe bomb blew up and pasted hot glue onto this kid's eyes, covering the cornea of both eyes.

When I saw him, he was hand motions in the right eye and 20/100 in the left. It looked like black tar on this kid's corneas. I've never seen anything like it. Mom was really upset. Both parents were worried to death that their kid was going to be blind. I called the senior resident, and she has never seen anything like this too. We decide to irrigate in attempt to peel away this gooey tar from the eyes. If this didn't work, then we would take him to the OR for surgical debridement. We used 1 L normal saline bottles and poked a hole at the bottom. We washed out his eye and after a few bottles, the black, gooey glue finally started to come off. His cornea still looks pretty bad, but it will probably heal. His left eye now sees 20/20 but the right eye is only 20/125.

It was rewarding to be able to intervene and help this kid. Both parents were relieved that we were able to remove this burnt glue from the eyes. He was seeing better now too. I had to reassure his parents and explain that the next few days and weeks will be critical to see how his cornea heals. There's no guarantee, but he's not going to be blind.

There's no other job that would let you touch people's lives like this. Eye sight is such a valuable thing. It's amazing how upset parents get when they think their child might be blind. Truly amazing roles physicians have.

So when you're feeling down about the studying and the work load. Try to remember what the ultimate goal is. It's all about being the best possible and most compassionate physician that you can be for your patient! It's worth all the work.

For me, it's the ability to meld my thirst for scientific knowledge with the ability to make a difference in other people's lives. No other career will provide this degree of responsibility and challenge.

6. Dr Sum Day

Dr Sum Day SDN Lifetime Donor
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Non-Student

This was excellent and well said doc.

7. OneStrongBro

OneStrongBro Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Nice answer by Chandler below. Just remember if you can't answer this question ON YOUR OWN in your future, you will be VERY, VERY MISERABLE as a pre-med, medical student, or as a physician. It is better to be happy in something less glamourous rather than as a BITTER physician. Check out his answer to "Why do you want to be a Doctor?"