1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Why do MBBS takes one year more than MD

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by Ahsankmc, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Ahsankmc

Removed

Medical Student
    I recently started the discussion, MBBS vs MD, to know what are the differences. After getting some good feedback from fellow users, I got a chance to know much about MD.

When I compare the two programs, they are more similar than different. But why does MBBS takes one year longer than MD. Is this just a waste of one year?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. plauto

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    4th year of MD school is a waste of a year too for the most part....

4. Ahsankmc

Removed

Medical Student
    This thing is so brilliant. I am very impressed.

5. plauto

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    haha, I got it from somebody else. Feel free to use it...

6. Girfaroo

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    At least in India back when my parents got their degrees, it was because they only did 18 months of premed (instead of 4 years of undergrad), then went to med school.

7. Perrotfish

Perrotfish Has an MD in Horribleness
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    In the US you do 4 years of undergraduate education, a little over one year of which is dedicated to premedical sciences you need to take to get into medical school. Then you train for 4 additional years in medical school to get your MD. Then, when you're finished with that, you train for 3-12 years in residency and fellowship to learn your actual profession (family practicioner, neurosurgeon, whatever). With a couple of rare exceptions, you can't practice as a physician until you've completed at least 11 years of post-high school education (4 years undergraduate + 4 yearsMD + 3 years of the shortest possible residency).

Really, I'm not sure it even helps to compare MD to MBBS length.After all, neither of those degrees are really the 'end' of your training in the sense that you can actually go work as a physician afterwords (right?). It might be better/more accurate to compare the time it takes to make a fully trained KIND of doctor in your system vs. ours. Meaning, how long do you study, after high school, to become a surgeon? How long to become a general practicioner? It might be that one path is shorter in your system, while the path to a different profession is shorter in ours.

8. Elbowstoopointy

Elbowstoopointy U aware?

Medical Student
    Not if you go hard and take electives in your field + do a SubI....it could be way hard

9. ArcGurren

ArcGurren only one will survive
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Med school in India and Pakistan is 5.5 years because they enter directly from high school after taking an entrance exam. However (like most British Commonwealth/former colonial countries) the school system there is set up such that you basically decide a career path in the middle of high school and stick with it... whereas in the US you can basically change your mind any time you want.

10. sineapse

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Well, I don't how the system is in the Subcontinent, but our course is:

2 years preclinical
    3 years clinical, of which one year is junior medicine and surgery, the next is 'specialities' like ortho, paeds, o&g etc and the final year (which starts sep and 'ends' in march) is senior medicine and surgery where you are the equiv of a subintern.

There is a 4 year course option for people who have already got a degree, which is the preclinical course condensed into one year.