why do medical students spend so much time on the pre-med forum?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RandomGuy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
just wondering.

Members don't see this ad.

RandomGuy said:
just wondering.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
why do YOU spend so much time on the pre-med forum? :idea:

RandomGuy said:
just wondering.
I don't know, but I'm glad they do. Asking your average premed about medicine is like asking a virgin about sex. Lots of big ideas but very little concrete knowledge. The med student, adcoms and attendings are the best resources on SDN.

Members don't see this ad :)
We're procrastinating or bored. Our forum doesn't have anywhere near the activity that this one does, so we drop by.

notdeadyet said:
I don't know, but I'm glad they do. Asking your average premed about medicine is like asking a virgin about sex. Lots of big ideas but very little concrete knowledge. The med student, adcoms and attendings are the best resources on SDN.

I think it has something to do with the idea that we understand what it was like to be there once ourselves and appreciated the input we got throughout our journey.

For me at least, it wasn't more than a couple months ago that I technically became a med student instead of a pre-med and in all technicallity, I won't actually be a student for another month. But I know that I often got nervous, confused or just had questions throughout the application and appreciated helpeful advice.

The bottom line is that pre-meds haven't been successful yet (most of you will be, but you haven't gotten past it yet) and when it comes to answering questions about the importance of the MCAT or GPA, without knowing what actually works, you can't answer this from an informative position. I kind of accepted this fact while I was applying and appreciated med students response because they had a base for their opinions. Now that I am in the same position, I figure it would be nice for me to pass this on to the next group.

ESzczesniak said:
I think it has something to do with the idea that we understand what it was like to be there once ourselves and appreciated the input we got throughout our journey.

For me at least, it wasn't more than a couple months ago that I technically became a med student instead of a pre-med and in all technicallity, I won't actually be a student for another month. But I know that I often got nervous, confused or just had questions throughout the application and appreciated helpeful advice.

The bottom line is that pre-meds haven't been successful yet (most of you will be, but you haven't gotten past it yet) and when it comes to answering questions about the importance of the MCAT or GPA, without knowing what actually works, you can't answer this from an informative position. I kind of accepted this fact while I was applying and appreciated med students response because they had a base for their opinions. Now that I am in the same position, I figure it would be nice for me to pass this on to the next group.

well start the passing....

DR. EUGENIC said:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
why do YOU spend so much time on the pre-med forum? :idea:

not sure I get it.

"Misery no longer loves company. Nowadays it insists on it."
- Russell Baker

yourmom25 said:
they can help us. i'd come back once i'm in med school.

Exactly. I loved any help I could get during this whole process. Now it's time to pass the help on to the next round. Both on SDN and when the interviews start up again. I loved it when the med students would swing by lunch or the admissions office, or whatever else we were doing to just chat. :)

Yeah! I hope that the class of 2010 sticks around to see the class of 2011 through. :)
And then the class of 2011 will stick around to help out the class of 2012, and so on. It is a good process. Like paying it forward.

jackieMD2007 said:
Yeah! I hope that the class of 2010 sticks around to see the class of 2011 through. :)
And then the class of 2011 will stick around to help out the class of 2012, and so on. It is a good process. Like paying it forward.

Except it isn't a ****ty movie.

Members don't see this ad :)
The reason is that it's nice to talk about what you've already accomplished/mastered/succeeded in. Every time you give advice, you are reminded again of your own success. That's not to diminish the help they give in any way.

cuz there's a ton of useful info on here!!

Most don't have a life :laugh:

TheProwler said:
the young pre-meds are easy prey for those older, sexier med students

Wait, we're sexier? What have I been missing out on? Gotta run and start the pimpin :).

ESzczesniak said:
Wait, we're sexier? What have I been missing out on? Gotta run and start the pimpin :).
it's all the healthy eating and regular workouts that keep older med students so sexy. you've been missing out man. go get em tiger.

passing on the torches and such. the fact is, no one would be successfull if no one learned from anyone else's mistakes and successes. I forgot how the saying went, but it was something to the effect of

You are stupid if you repeat the same mistakes over and over again. You are smart if you learn from them. You are a genius if you learn from others' mistakes.

I definitely stop by the MCAT thread now and then to share my advice, and ive certainly gotten over 200 PMs about advice with MCATs and stuff with postbacs, SMPs, and such. SDN is unique in that we're more willing to help each other, regardless of where we stand, then strangers that we work with at school.

You know scrubs are the ultimate aphrodisiac for pre-meds. Play that to your full advantage :thumbup:

hahah i can imagine it now

a gunner premed with his gf

Let's play doctor, lift up your shirt so i can listen to your heart
Yea baby, anything for you doctor

O CRAP IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE THE INDICATIONS FOR NSTEMI, GET HER ON a LOADING DOSE OF 300mg of CLOPIDOGREL STAT.

*night over*