Why do people do random stuff for YEARS before going to med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HughMyron

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This isn't about taking a gap year. This isn't about switching to medicine from a stable career. And this isn't about TFA/Peace Corps/whatever. I can understand those things, and I have a lot of respect for people who accomplish them successfully.

But I've talked to people out of college for 2-5 years applying to med school who have done things like get an MS they'll never use, work as an EMT or Nurse's Aide, do low-level research and volunteering, etc. I never figured out why. I mean, if grade improvement is the goal, why not do a SMP or Postbac? Or did these guys completely slack off on their ECs in school?

EDIT: Ok, I get why being an EMT/CNA is cool. I only have a problem with people doing it not for its own sake, but just to get something to brag about to adcoms.

Every year, med school gets more expensive and more competitive. Residency gets more competitive as well. So why would you waste years of your life doing stuff you're obviously not passionate about (because apparently you want to be a physician, not a researcher or nurse or teacher or whatever) when the return on investment looks fairly small?

Apologies if this post seems rude, I'm just wondering why these people don't just apply to med school directly and save time and money.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This isn't about taking a gap year. This isn't about switching to medicine from a stable career. And this isn't about TFA. I can understand those things, and they're cool.

But I've talked to people out of college for 2-5 years applying to med school who have done things like get an MS they'll never use, work as an EMT or Nurse's Aide, do low-level research and volunteering, etc. I never figured out why. I mean, if grade improvement is the goal, why not do a SMP or Postbac? Or did these guys completely slack off on their ECs in school?

Every year, med school gets more expensive and more competitive. Residency gets more competitive as well. So why would you waste years of your life doing stuff you're obviously not passionate about (because apparently you want to be a physician) when the return on investment looks fairly small?

I think the answer to this part is pretty obvious....looking to build their resume to make it strong as possible. Squeezing in a few hours here and there to volunteer/research/work amidst a full courseload doesn't carry the same weight as a full-time committment. That, and many people entering medical school don't want to be completely clinically clueless.

I think the answer to this part is pretty obvious....many people don't want to enter medical school as clinically clueless.

But can't they get that in college? I spent at least 8 hrs/week in college doing various clinical things, and it was more than enough, clearly.

Members don't see this ad :)
But can't they get that in college? I spent at least 8 hrs/week in college doing various clinical things, and it was more than enough, clearly.

doing what exactly?

I don't think 8 hrs a week in college is enough, nor would I want to devote 8 hrs a week of my limited free time in college to this when I can devote 40 hrs a week without more important commitments to classwork/studying.

I'm not talking about getting accepted to medical school - 8 hrs a week is probably enough for that, but I'm talking about gaining clinical experience, building clinical instinct and patient care skills, and actually learning something.

Some people want to take time off and enjoy life just working forty hours a week before taking the plunge.

Postbacs and SMPs are expensive. Volunteering and "low-level" research is not. Like the first poster said, they're trying to improve their resume/application in a way that doesn't put them into d.e.b.t.

And not everyone has the time to do 8/hrs a week of clinical volunteering on top of school. Some people need to work, and some people are doing other things. Hell, maybe the people that were doing clinical volunteering throughout college then decided to take a year to get some research under their belt, or vise versa. Maybe some of these people didn't decide to do medicine until midpoint or late in their college careers and thus weren't afforded the same amount of time to get their stuff done as you.

There's a whole host of variables that determine what people do.

This isn't about taking a gap year. This isn't about switching to medicine from a stable career. And this isn't about TFA. I can understand those things, and they're cool.

Every year, med school gets more expensive and more competitive. Residency gets more competitive as well. So why would you waste years of your life doing stuff you're obviously not passionate about (because apparently you want to be a physician, not a researcher or nurse or teacher or whatever) when the return on investment looks fairly small?

Apologies if this post seems rude, I'm just wondering why these people don't just apply to med school directly and save time and money.

You're like 19 or 20. Being rude is what guys your age do best. God forbid you don't get in right after college and have to something for 2-5 years to boost your application.

You never know the circumstances behind why they didn't do stuff in college - maybe they had to work full-time to support themselves, unexpected family events, kids, etc. Plus, it's possible they were incredibly uninformed about the process, so much that they didn't even think about it. It's also possible that they don't know how long it actually takes to become a full-fledged practicing physician, and thus aren't driven by that urgency.

SDN clearly changes one's perception of premeds, and I would wager that your average undergrad premed isn't as driven/disciplined as the average SDN'er. I can't imagine what it would be like once somebody is out of school - how motivated would they be then?

doing what exactly?

I don't think 8 hrs a week in college is enough, nor would I want to devote 8 hrs a week of my limited free time in college to this when I can devote 40 hrs a week without more important commitments to classwork/studying.

I'm not talking about getting accepted to medical school - 8 hrs a week is probably enough for that, but I'm talking about gaining clinical experience, building clinical instinct and patient care skills, and actually learning something.

Can't talk specifics for fear of identification, but a year of participating in clinical research, some volunteering doing low level nurse's aide style stuff, ongoing research, etc. I crammed my summers full of ECs too.

People talk a lot about "developing clinical skills," but lettuce beef cereal: that's the job of medical school. The skills you and I learned doing low level research/volunteering are not going to matter in comparison to the TON of stuff we'll learn in med school.

Can't talk specifics for fear of identification, but a year of participating in clinical research, some volunteering doing low level nurse's aide style stuff, ongoing research, etc. I crammed my summers full of ECs too.

People talk a lot about "developing clinical skills," but lettuce beef cereal: that's the job of medical school. The skills you and I learned doing low level research/volunteering are not going to matter in comparison to the TON of stuff we'll learn in med school.

The thing is that yes, this is part of medical school, but all the while you'll be learning ridiculous amounts of new information, you'll be thrown into an entirely new environment and some of the subtleties of bedside manner and clinical skills tend to take the back seat, which is reasonable considering how much is on your plate.

There are many medical students and even residents I know (at a top10 institution if that matters to you) who admittedly struggle with some basic clinical skills: i.e. sick vs. notsick, poor treatment/order choices (i.e. ordering ambulatory sats on bedridden patients, medication PO on AMS patients), etc. You'll also hear a lot of stories about nurses accurately predicting when patients are going to code while residents/med students are caught with there pants down when their patient arrests. This has little to do with what you learn in the classroom or on uptodate, and everything to do with clinical instinct and observation that you only learn through experience and time.

The people entering medical school with some extended time as NAs or EMTs will already have many of these basic clinical skills/instincts well in hand because they could focus on it while not having to learn about medicine. I'm not saying that you will be worse off or a worse doctor if you don't take 3 years off to be a PCA, but don't belittle the benefits of these years spent in low-level clinical jobs.

Also, clinical volunteering and clinical research, the typical hallmark of undergrad clinical ECs, is ENTIRELY different than full-time work as a CNA or EMT. The level of exposure you get is incomparable.

Last edited:
You're like 19 or 20. Being rude is what guys your age do best. God forbid you don't get in right after college and have to something for 2-5 years to boost your application.

U mad cause u mirin, or just jelly that I'm 19? Also how are you so sure that I'm a man?

Because they want to do something else? Why do you feel the need to criticize a whole category of people you don't know and clearly don't want to understand? I know you appended your post with "sorry if this seems rude" - it is rude. You've couched what you're asking in "these people should do what I think." That's not a good thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Because they want to do something else? Why do you feel the need to criticize a whole category of people you don't know and clearly don't want to understand?

So make me understand? Geebeejay did.

I was deliberately being confrontational because the choice doesn't make sense at all from my position. But after Geebeejay's explanation, that changed a bit.

This isn't about taking a gap year. This isn't about switching to medicine from a stable career. And this isn't about TFA/Peace Corps/whatever. I can understand those things, and I have a lot of respect for people who accomplish them successfully.

Because some people have some insight and might have the audacity to think that medicine isn't everything. Seriously, you start med school, and you essentially have no life outside of medicine for at least 7-10 years from the day you start. If you don't see it now, you'll see it sometime down the line. Taking some time to have a bit of fun, not work your ass off, make a bit of money, travel the world, or whatever else is an excellent idea when you're 20. It'll give you some balance, and give you a bit of insight into the "why medicine" question besides "ohmahgadz I'm gunna be a doctor lolz!".

I think the question is a bit unfair, but I hear it a decent amount on the interview trail.

First off, not everyone was born wanting to be a physician. These people doing random things usually fall under this category -- they found out they wanted to be a physician while doing random things.

And as one of those people who has done some fairly random things for about 5-7 years before starting the medical school application process, I can say I did those things because I wanted to i.e. I had interests outside of medicine that would not be amenable to life after 30/med school, namely traveling and in the process learning a new language.

This question of focus has come up during interviews too. I respond that I felt very inexperienced at 21 out of undergrad and wanted to see, do more before I committed to a career. In other words, my life is not made for an AMCAS application.

A word on passion -- the word is misused far too often. It refers to how Jesus Christ felt while he died on the cross for Christians' sins. Are you willing to be a martyr for the field of medicine? Part of me actually hopes so.

I actually do not understand how anyone really knows they want to be a physician straight out of undergrad, having a very narrow set of life experiences. I presume it's cultural, familiar pressure but I don't know.

I think the question is a bit unfair, but I hear it a decent amount on the interview trail.

First off, not everyone was born wanting to be a physician. These people doing random things usually fall under this category -- they found out they wanted to be a physician while doing random things.

And as one of those people who has done some fairly random things for about 5-7 years before starting the medical school application process, I can say I did those things because I wanted to i.e. I had interests outside of medicine that would not be amenable to life after 30/med school, namely traveling and in the process learning a new language.

This question of focus has come up during interviews too. I respond that I felt very inexperienced at 21 out of undergrad and wanted to see, do more before I committed to a career. In other words, my life is not made for an AMCAS application.

A word on passion -- the word is misused far too often. It refers to how Jesus Christ felt while he died on the cross for Christians' sins. Are you willing to be a martyr for the field of medicine? Part of me actually hopes so.

I actually do not understand how anyone really knows they want to be a physician straight out of undergrad, having a very narrow set of life experiences. I presume it's cultural, familiar pressure but I don't know.

It is actually because no one wants to sit for the 2015 MCAT.

For me i didn't decide to go to medical till after college and frankly, i wouldn't have wanted to start right after college anyway. I want to enjoy my time off and see what it's like in the "real world." I'm working as an emt now to get some insight and work on my basic skills while making money. It's also the first level of care a patient receives so i felt it'd be nice to see the progression of care to the hospital.
Another reason is to really work in medicine to ensure i do enjoy it. Reading about it is different than working in it. I could go on, but you get the drift.

So...I raise a valid question, and you respond by encouraging me to "be a martyr," or commit suicide. If you think that those years gave you a newfound sense of maturity and perspective, well, it obviously doesn't show in your post.

I really hope I'm misunderstanding you right now.

Last edited:
So...I raise a valid question, and you respond by encouraging me to "be a martyr," or commit suicide. If you think that those years gave you a newfound sense of maturity and perspective, well, it obviously doesn't show in your post.

I really hope I'm misunderstanding you right now.

I have a feeling this was more of an analogy, rather than a literal suggestion.

It is actually because no one wants to sit for the 2015 MCAT.

That too.

The real reason I want to go into medicine is the following: if you want an upper middle class life, you have a limited amount of career choices. Lawyer, actuary, accountant, programmer, engineer, physician, pharmacist, dentist, nurse, businessman, consultant, etc.

Being a physician is the best choice out of those. From my experiences (I grew up in a family of engineers and accountants) it's the only choice I can see myself doing as a career.

I don't say this at interviews, but that's my motivation. What else is there to say?

Why do you REALLY want to go into medicine? And I will rage if just one person says "chicks, money, power, and chicks."

Last edited:

Lol....just because hollywood made a movie called "The Passion of the Christ" doesn't mean that passion solely refers to martyrdom.

From dictionary.com

pas·sion/ˈpæʃ ən/ Show Spelled [pash-uh n]
noun
1. any powerful or compelling emotion or feeling, as love or hate.
2. strong amorous feeling or desire; love; ardor.
3. strong sexual desire; lust.
4. an instance or experience of strong love or sexual desire.
5. a person toward whom one feels strong love or sexual desire.

So make me understand? Geebeejay did.

I was deliberately being confrontational because the choice doesn't make sense at all from my position. But after Geebeejay's explanation, that changed a bit.

Exactly, it's not YOUR situation so don't take time off, apply as soon as you can, and then go wherever you want. Don't put other people on blast because they want to explore all other options, improve their apps, have some fun, make some money, or ANY other reason. But if you're such a badass, you shouldn't concern yourself with others.

Gunners gonna gun.

EDIT: Ok, I get why being an EMT/CNA is cool. Now let's talk about people getting an MS they don't want to use. That actually makes me a bit sad, cause they're taking a grad school spot from someone who actually wants to do research or work in industry as a career.

Life happens.

You mentioned the example of switching from a successful career....I switched from a failed career. I got a BA years ago & spent a year working in graphic design, realized I didn't like commercial art that much, and then experienced a chain of various life circumstances that left me clueless about what I was doing with myself & working in print shops & fast food places. When I started figuring things out I stayed away from the pre-med thing because I thought that being a doctor was a thing that only rich people could do, & I didn't think I was smart enough to get through a year of physics. I spent over a year taking nursing school pre-reqs before making the switch. I'm the first person in my family to go to college, so I didn't really have any guidance on how to navigate school or build a career, and it was kind of messy.

Exactly, it's not YOUR situation so don't take time off, apply as soon as you can, and then go wherever you want. Don't put other people on blast because they want to explore all other options, improve their apps, have some fun, make some money, or ANY other reason. But if you're such a badass, you shouldn't concern yourself with others.

Gunners gonna gun.

Gunner? I'm one of the most relaxed and helpful people you'll ever meet. In fact, once I put a philosophy paper (my major) on hold to help a pre-vet classmate with Organic Chem, something I was good at, but she struggled with.

I somewhat resent that you think I'm a "gunner" without knowing anything about me.

Gunner? I'm one of the most relaxed and helpful people you'll ever meet. In fact, once I put a philosophy paper (my major) on hold to help a pre-vet classmate with Organic Chem, something I was good at, but she struggled with.

I somewhat resent that you think I'm a "gunner" without knowing anything about me.

Maybe he's jealous because you actually lift

If you get an MS and go to medical school, chances are you'll be using that MS.

I went into grad school because I wanted to go into academic science. After I experienced academia, I ran.

Most people aren't born knowing that they want to go into medicine. I didn't consider it until my last semester of college. I was also a first-gen graduate, so I didn't actually know I could become a doctor.

I think these people, myself included, don't become EMTs or CNAs to become doctors, but something about these fields piqued their interest. These experiences shaped their desire to go into medicine. We didn't do them to get into med school.

That too.

The real reason I want to go into medicine is the following: if you want an upper middle class life, you have a limited amount of career choices. Lawyer, actuary, accountant, programmer, engineer, physician, pharmacist, dentist, nurse, businessman, consultant, etc.

Being a physician is the best choice out of those. From my experiences (I grew up in a family of engineers and accountants) it's the only choice I can see myself doing as a career.

I don't say this at interviews, but that's my motivation. What else is there to say?

Why do you REALLY want to go into medicine? And I will rage if just one person says "chicks, money, power, and chicks."

:eek:

Eh, to some extent this motivates everybody in medicine. It's not my only motivation. I also like the doctor's role as a teacher and a healer. But I want a good life for my future family too.

Definitely chicks.

Eh, to some extent this motivates everybody in medicine. It's not my only motivation. I also like the doctor's role as a teacher and a healer. But I want a good life for my future family too.

I would do it for free if that was an option. Pro bono baby....as long as there'll be chicks. :cool:

I would do it for free if that was an option. Pro bono baby....as long as there'll be chicks. :cool:

You're signing up to be a doctor, not a monk.

Besides, if you want to deliver babies, how are you going to pay for the ridiculously high malpractice premiums that come with being an OB?

Besides, if you want to deliver babies, how are you going to pay for the ridiculously high malpractice premiums that come with being an OB?

I think when people say they will do it for free, they really mean net after work-related expenses and a modest cost of living allowance.

If there were no student debt and someone else paid the insurance, I'd probably do it for $40k, maybe with an extra $10k per 10 hours/week worked above 40.

I got dat bread doe....miring?

Rachelkj was spot on...

Last edited:
what is this myron and mirin thing? are these pokemon?

As others have said; life happens. Not everyone shares the same background and mentality as you do, so as you would expect people go about life and careers decisions differently than how you would. There are endless different paths to a goal, and this is what makes life rich...there is a diversity of stories, backgrounds and philosophies of life. Nothing wrong with being different than the norm.

what is this myron and mirin thing? are these pokemon?

In bodybuilding subcultures, "u mirin" is a way of saying "are you admiring my physique?" In general, "mirin" is a way of saying "admiring." "Myron" is synonymous.

You will find that years don't seem too long as you get more under your belt. It is easy to fall into a groove with life. Occasionally, people don't know if they will continue doing something with that MS. Sometimes people pursue stuff purely for academic interests. Reasons are endless.

Truthfully, I would never want to go straight through undergrad and med school, let alone start when I'm in my teens. I value the extra time it took me and don't think I would have responded the same way or with the same degree of introspection to events as I do now. Yes, you finish early but then your work life begins and you won't have quite the same freedom to do the things you could have before.

The science and clinical knowledge part aren't that difficult to me. If you invest time in studying, you will figure it out. Finding how to effectively communicate/relate with patients is pretty difficult, as is establishing a true understanding and appreciation for the skills and situations of others.

And you can get plenty of chicks without money, but it requires tact and things that make you interesting.....and a little gym work doesn't hurt.

Maybe he's jealous because you actually lift

Yeah I think so too.

why_so_jelly.jpg

I was a D1 athlete in college, which is basically a 30 hr/week job. Aside from the summer, I didn't have time in college to "do various clinical things". That's one of the reasons I am taking a year off before applying.

EDIT: Ok, I get why being an EMT/CNA is cool. Now let's talk about people getting an MS they don't want to use. That actually makes me a bit sad, cause they're taking a grad school spot from someone who actually wants to do research or work in industry as a career.

Entered college at 16 finished in 3 years. Just joined the Army for 4 years as a medic at the age of 19 while having intentions of attending grad school for an MPA or the alike if given the time while already have completed 150+ hours of clinical and nonclinical work, 9 months of research, TA'ed for multiple courses, made the Deans list multiple semesters all during undergrad.

You don't need to know why people do certain things because you will never know or at least acknowledge. The same could be said for you doing all these things as a checklist, applying to med school for being the leader of the premed club, did research just for credits and a resume booster.....Get into med school and live your whole life doing medicine with no chance to pursue anything else because it's too late. You're most likely just like all the thousands of people applying, nothing special about you. Just a robot, treating life like a one-way staircase. Maybe other people would like to enjoy life, take advantage of various opportunities. Medicine is always there buddy... Taking a few years off does not hurt and it gives you more of a reason to stay away from people like you with that type of mentality. Grow up.

OP- your post doesn't seem rude, just completely immature and naive. Read some posts in the non-trad thread where people talk about their paths and how they ended up in medicine- or better yet, take a year off and support yourself, build a life outside of school, and live in the world for a little bit.