Why do people get writer's block

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Muhammed, 05.12.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Muhammed

Muhammed SDN Gold Donor Gold Donor 2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I am curious why so many people get writer's block when they are writing their personal statements?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. cacajuate

cacajuate 2+ Year Member

I am curious why you are being so smug about not getting writer's block.

4. Muhammed

Muhammed SDN Gold Donor Gold Donor 2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I get writer's block all the time, bro. I just want to know why other people get it.

I usually get it because I feel the pressure of writing a PERFECT draft in my first sitting. But for other people it might be totally different.

Imrizzle likes this.
  5. Jaesango

Jaesango 2+ Year Member

It's because when it comes down to writing your personal statement, you feel like everything you write is cliche. You try to avoid that and end up dismissing every single idea until you realize it's not what you write about that counts but how you present it.

keepcalm2 and CoFe2 like this.
  6. Cello

Cello SDN Gold Donor Gold Donor 5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Writers block is often the result of becoming overly self-conscious about what you're writing. You're critiquing yourself at the same time that you are writing / speaking and evaluating your work in progress based upon assumptions of what people might say about it. This is why some writers advocate writing first, editing later. Editing in the process of writing can often lead you to just spinning your wheels and ultimately producing something which is overly contrived.

When you post on these forums you likely never (or rarely) experience writer's block. That's because the stakes are much lower, and it doesn't matter as much what people here think about what you have to say or how you say it. That said, it's often how you say something that can become a sticking point, i.e. 'Should I use the word didactic, or would taught be better?' In reality, the committee likely doesn't care as much about your language (so long as it's not ridiculously verbose - so don't go all Marcel Proust on them) as the content. So, think about an idea you would like to communicate, and write it down as though you were going to post it on the forums. It might help to try and pretend that you're convincing pre-dents on SDN why you would make a great dental student. That should relieve some of the pressure which is causing your writer's block.

Imrizzle likes this.
  7. ChrisM07

ChrisM07 Dental School Hopeful 7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Writers block happens with me when I have lots I want to say and the words and statements start to jumble into a mess in my head. "I will talk about T, U, V, W, X, Y and Z". Take a breath and start to break ideas into digestible pieces. Sometimes, separate the ideas as separate entities and try to mesh them together later.

Often times it helps me to speak what I want to say out loud before I write it and see how it actually sounds. Sometimes the words before spoken sound better but once I say them I think "ehh, that's sort of what I wanted to say" and then I think how to change it for the better. Also, it helps me to think generally, "Ok, what am I trying to convey here in this statement." and then I build around that. Even with this post, I'll likely re-read it at least once before hitting "post reply" (OCD much?). But that's just me.

About the ads