Why do people still want to go to pharmacy school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

capaxone

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, with all the facts, whining, bi&&ching about oversupply of pharmacists, decreasing demand, closing stores, chains/ retails halting expansion, laidoffs of pharmacists, more schools openning annually, no jobs available after months of seeking. WHY DO PEOPPLE STILL WANT TO ATTEND PHARMACY SCHOOLS TODAY? Can someone tell me why? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:. ALSO, do anyone here actually knows an unemployed pharmacist???:confused::confused: Please share

Members don't see this ad.

All my pharmacist buddies graduated, are working, happy, making good money, and actually get days off.

All my pharmacist buddies graduated, are working, happy, making good money, actually get days off compared to my physician friends who are doing their residency, not making good money (yet), not that many days off, and more hectic all around job.

Yeah I think SDN likes to blow it out of proportion, it's certainly a region by region basis I'm sure. You just have to stand out from the crowd a bit more, it's still a pretty secure field.

Worst case scenario is I'll join the Army's Active Medical Service Corps , they're always in need of PharmD's from what I understand. Although this is certainly a last resort since you give up quite a bit by doing this, but gain a lot in return.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I think SDN likes to blow it out of proportion, it's certainly a region by region basis I'm sure. You just have to stand out from the crowd a bit more, it's still a pretty secure field.

Worst case scenario is I'll join the Army's Active Medical Service Corps , they're always in need of PharmD's from what I understand. Although this is certainly a last resort since you give up quite a bit by doing this, but gain a lot in return.

I love your avatar.

There are reasons to go into pharmacy besides job security...

Just out of curiosity, with all the facts, whining, bi&&ching about oversupply of pharmacists, decreasing demand, closing stores, chains/ retails halting expansion, laidoffs of pharmacists, more schools openning annually, no jobs available after months of seeking. WHY DO PEOPPLE STILL WANT TO ATTEND PHARMACY SCHOOLS TODAY? Can someone tell me why? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:. ALSO, do anyone here actually knows an unemployed pharmacist???:confused::confused: Please share

There are reasons to go into pharmacy besides job security...

Oh this sounds like fun!

How about:

Love of spatulas/counting trays?

Deep down belief that no one anywhere can possibly label like you can?

The feeling that comes from knowing - really knowing, at your core - that people consider talking to you to be a waste of their time?

A deep seated hatred for setting?

Oh this sounds like fun!

How about:

Love of spatulas/counting trays?

Deep down belief that no one anywhere can possibly label like you can?

The feeling that comes from knowing - really knowing, at your core - that people consider talking to you to be a waste of their time?

A deep seated hatred for setting?
You forgot. You go to pharmacy school for the ladies.:cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought that was alway a myth, mind sharing real stories? o.o

The ratio is excellent, but when you get into the nuts and bolts it is not as good as it sounds. Many of my classmates are seriously involved/married. Plus the whole thing about dating classmates...not always a good idea.

Could make for some really fun "group projects" if you know what I'm sayin'!

Nursing school has better ratio. How'bout that!? And not always seriously involved, or married.

Nursing school has better ratio. How'bout that!? And not always seriously involved, or married.
If we were talking sheer ratio beautician, school has the best ratio.

We are talking about best looking women with the monetary ability to support your bad habits.;)

For a career I've always dreamed of, I'm willing to take the risks :thumbup:

Because there are plenty of students out there still think that there are plenty of jobs available .... Because students still seeing pharmacists banking 100k+ a year . Because they have no idea how saturated the job market is...and it's gonna get worse with alll these stupid new schools. You don't kno an jobless pharmacist, it doesn't mean every pharmacist has a job! People who don't have jobs are not gonna go around and tell people in town that they are jobless!!!

lol, I was in nursing, yeah, it's like 10% ratio of men, vs 90% ratio of women, that were quite pretty. I never went for it though, and we were alway busy studying.
@owlegrad
You mean everybody is studying so we're distraction? or you mean most of the time they are engaged/married, so you cant go for them?
@Twiggy1
bahaha :laugh:

Last edited:
Because there are plenty of students out there still think that there are plenty of jobs available .... Because students still seeing pharmacists banking 100k+ a year . Because they have no idea how saturated the job market is...and it's gonna get worse with alll these stupid new schools. You don't kno an jobless pharmacist, it doesn't mean every pharmacist has a job! People who don't have jobs are not gonna go around and tell people in town that they are jobless!!!
photo.jpg

alright, I was just kidding earlier about nursing school.
I'm sure there are several reasons why people choose this path. Some even change their major or job to jump ship over here. I'm sure people, by now, understand that it wouldn't be in the 100K+ in the paycheck anymore (But goodness, why complain with having 70-80K+? That's more than most people earning a year!).
But seriously, it's not just pharmacy is hurting right now with the economy. And yes, there's saturation in the market- in metro area maybe. I also think that the cycle of shortage will repeat.
If you can take your time looking at Dentistry thread or MD thread and you'll see people talk regrets, stress, high tuition, difficulty in owning a practice, high insurance, etc... But that's a price to pay. I think this profession is doing ok so far.
If you are not sure about this career path, maybe do some more research in the market to see what would fit you more. It's never too late.

Oh yes. I have a new date every night. I have already worked my way into the 2nd years. It is totally worth it :smuggrin:

A new date with a new textbook every night :)

@ OP - I did it so that, even if I am working at Subway from here on out until my days end, I can add "Dr" to my name.

lol, I was in nursing, yeah, it's like 10% ratio of men, vs 90% ratio of women, that were quite pretty. I never went for it though, and we were alway busy studying.
@owlegrad
You mean everybody is studying so we're distraction? or you mean most of the time they are engaged/married, so you cant go for them?
@Twiggy1
bahaha :laugh:

Well I was mostly joking, but I was refering to many of my classmates being spoken for.

Granted there is not the same shortage of pharmacists that existed a few years ago, there are still many opportunities for pharmacists. The new law allowing pharmacists to immunize will open up many doors for pharmacists. Also, the more you do to distinguish yourself while in pharmacy school the better your chances of getting a job. You could make yourself stand out by taking on a leadership role in a pharmacy organization or doing a residency after you graduate. All fields are experiencing saturation with the current economy so if pharmacy is a career that you really want to pursue, you should stick with it.

Granted there is not the same shortage of pharmacists that existed a few years ago, there are still many opportunities for pharmacists. The new law allowing pharmacists to immunize will open up many doors for pharmacists. Also, the more you do to distinguish yourself while in pharmacy school the better your chances of getting a job. You could make yourself stand out by taking on a leadership role in a pharmacy organization or doing a residency after you graduate. All fields are experiencing saturation with the current economy so if pharmacy is a career that you really want to pursue, you should stick with it.

And by doing a pharmd/phd or mba or mph or mpa???

I don't know, why do the people at Radioshack ask me for my phone number when I want to buy batteries?
Perhaps they find you attractive?

Just watched Sanchez throw the amazing pass down field. Then the touchdown pass with 10 second sleft.

Awesome:cool::thumbup:

Some people actually want to be pharmacists.