Why do pharmacists get paid so much?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
it's actually harder to get into medical school compared to pharmacy school. Most medical schools require a bachelor's degree in addition to taking the MCAT and I've seen most pharmacy schools have applicant's with lower GPAs

Members don't see this ad.

How is eating for free in the cafeteria, a hospital policy, abusing a perk? :confused:

You can complain about the policy I guess but I don't see how you can complain about the doctor who is choosing to receive the perk.

So lets say a doctor comes in on his day off and grabs some breakfast for him and his wife to eat for free, while the janitors have to pay 10 bucks for it. Is that not wrong?

So lets say a doctor comes in on his day off and grabs some breakfast for him and his wife to eat for free, while let's say the janitor has to pay 10 bucks for it. Is that not wrong?

LOL that better be some cafeteria food!

If the hospital wants to initiate a policy where the lowest paid employees can eat for free, let them! But don't blame the doctor for the hospital's policy.

Members don't see this ad :)
You mean years of experience in looking things up? :love::love:

Ego much? I have physicians calling me asking for recommendations because they don't know what to do. Wise up, everyone plays their role.

You aren't even in med school yet, kid... how can you possibly know anything? Reading about biology in a textbook or shadowing a doctor isn't experience.

Kravitz is definitely a troll. This person has absolutely no idea what he/she is saying or doing. If this person does become a physician with this attitude, someone will certainly die. At some point in their training they will likely get to experience working with a clinical pharmacist that will school him/her and hopefully he/she will learn something.

I dont think the original OP was trying to be offensive, but it certainly could be perceived that way.

it's actually harder to get into medical school compared to pharmacy school. Most medical schools require a bachelor's degree in addition to taking the MCAT and I've seen most pharmacy schools have applicant's with lower GPAs

Right, but you got into DO school, not an MD school. MD is much harder than a DO.

Kravitz is definitely a troll. This person has absolutely no idea what he/she is saying or doing. If this person does become a physician with this attitude, someone will certainly die. At some point in their training they will likely get to experience working with a clinical pharmacist that will school him/her and hopefully he/she will learn something.

I dont think the original OP was trying to be offensive, but it certainly could be perceived that way.

You are delusional. :naughty:

How is eating for free in the cafeteria, a hospital policy, abusing a perk? :confused:

You can complain about the policy I guess but I don't see how you can complain about the doctor who is choosing to receive the perk.

He's a doctor who doesn't work at the hospital and just knows about the docs eating free at the cafeteria policy. Parks his Lamborghini in the parking lot, walks in with shiny lab coat and stethoscope, goes up to the cafeteria and gets a free lunch.

FutureDO2016 is a quality troll. 3 pages already off of subtle insults. I tip my hat to you, sir/maddam. I can and have done better, but for someone that isn't me, I have found this thread entertaining and a worthy read.

Kraviz, you still need to work on your form. Your insults aren't as biting as they seem to go more for instant shock than that of a deeper, insidious style that incite miniature internet riots. It's ok, keep trying and you'll get there eventually, kiddo. Remember, subtlety.

Last edited:
He's a doctor who doesn't work at the hospital and just knows about the docs eating free at the cafeteria policy. Parks his Lamborghini in the parking lot, walks in with shiny lab coat and stethoscope, goes up to the cafeteria and gets a free lunch.

Alright, that is abusing a policy.

FutureDO2016 is a quality troll. 3 pages already off of subtle insults. I tip my hat to you, sir/maddam. I can and have done better, but for someone that isn't me, I have found this thread entertaining and a worthy read.

Kraviz, you still need to work on your form. Your insults aren't as biting as they seem to go more for instant shock than that of a deeper, insidious style that incite miniature internet riots. It's ok, keep trying and you'll get there eventually, kiddo. Remember, subtlety.

Yes, we are all trolls. And you pharmacists are walking talking neurosurgeons. :scared:

who cares about the doctor getting free lunch? I'm pretty sure they check ID for things such as those and don't just give all doctors free lunch? Because can't anyone with a white coat walk in then and get lunch?

this thread has been entertaining.

Members don't see this ad :)

:thumbup:

If i told you how much i made, you would probably **** you pants and smear your poop all over you walls in an enraged insane fit. You would probably wonder how somehow who barely finished HS, scored low on SATs and ONLY did 2 years of undergrad and 4 years in pharmacy school with C's and the occasional B could make SOOOO much.

I have been entertained by this thread. I do not find it offensive as silly thinking deserves a silly response. I havent posted much as ive been busy racking up businesses to secure my childs college (future child). I worry about my success and my pay as i could give 2 poops about how much a doctor or nurse or CEO makes.

I made more money at the age of 23 with zero debt than any doctor I know the age of 30 with massive student loans.

Who knows why pharmacists get paid so much money? Who the hell cares because we don't care at all! I'm just glad I'm not the idiot who went to medical school and paid a fortune for an education in which I only to start getting paid adult money at the age of 35. I made adult money at 23 years old, serious adult money.

There is no medical student or doctor I know who was able to buy a $1.2 million dollar house when they were only 25 years old. No medical student or doctor I know who bought their second house at the age of 26.

Pharmacists are the s*** man. For as long as people need medicine, we will always be here. For as long as there are medical students and residents and doctors, we will always be here to fix your mistakes and give second opinions, most of which are more trusted than yours because I just keep hearing that all day long from patients.

Don't get me wrong, there are some great doctors out there, those who really care. But medical students like you who make these comments, your the kind of person who I don't care about, who I laugh about when you are driving your expensive car, one which you can barely afford.

But anyways, you know what's awesome? I went to school for only 6 years, right after high school.

Nowadays, "doctor" is just a title which people associate wealth with. The reality is much different.

Good luck in everything you do! I'll be buying my 3rd house in a year from now. I'll also be retiring at 35. That's probably when you begin your own private practice.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I made more money at the age of 23 with zero debt than any doctor I know the age of 30 with massive student loans.

Who knows why pharmacists get paid so much money? Who the hell cares because we don't care at all! I'm just glad I'm not the idiot who went to medical school and paid a fortune for an education in which I only to start getting paid adult money at the age of 35. I made adult money at 23 years old, serious adult money.

There is no medical student or doctor I know who was able to buy a $1.2 million dollar house when they were only 25 years old. No medical student or doctor I know who bought their second house at the age of 26.

Pharmacists are the s*** man. For as long as people need medicine, we will always be here. For as long as there are medical students and residents and doctors, we will always be here to fix your mistakes and give second opinions, most of which are more trusted than yours because I just keep hearing that all day long from patients.

Don't get me wrong, there are some great doctors out there, those who really care. But medical students like you who make these comments, your the kind of person who will one day get your license suspended.

But anyways, you know what's awesome? I went to school for only 6 years, right after high school.

Dude, got a pic of that house?

Gonna get behind this. I actually thought FutureDO2016 was being sincere at first, while Kraviz was obviously either trolling or literally insane. I will give Kraviz points for not being derailed by my obvious attempt at trolling.

Some schools/programs are harder to get into than others. What is your point? A lot of this also comes back to politics and lobbying- your profession is one that is very aggressive against new schools opening- ours in the opposite. And yet, there are plenty of US accredited schools now popping up overseas and they are extremely easy to get in to (as in you can get in right of high school). But either way none of this has much to do with how smart people are or how worthy they are of their salaries.

The literature shows that pharmacists are worth the cost. Same goes for most physicians. Doesn't mean there isn't room for market/system changes to improve outcomes and reduce costs though. As for who is smarter- it is much more on the individual. There are most definitely genius janitors or even genius men and women in 3rd world countries who never got an opportunity to get out of where they were born into. There are also genius docs and genius pharmacists and stupid docs and stupid pharmacists.

Don't get me wrong, there are some great doctors out there, those who really care. But medical students like you who make these comments, your the kind of person who I don't care about, who I laugh about when you are driving your expensive car, one which you can barely afford.

Nowadays, "doctor" is just a title which people associate wealth with. The reality is much different.

Good luck in everything you do! I'll be buying my 3rd house in a year from now. I'll also be retiring at 35. That's probably when you begin your own private practice.

yeah but are you happy? :confused:

when did this thread become "my cock is bigger than your cock and this is why"

yeah but are you happy? :confused:

when did this thread become "my cock is bigger than your cock and this is why"

People got butt hurt from obvious pre-med trolls and felt the need to overcompensate. Internet gonna internet.

This thread was created primarily for idiots like you.

Pharmacists may make a lot of money starting at age 23-24 but doctors will end up making more by age 35-40 and in the grand scheme of things, who wants to stand behind a counter and verify pills all day?

Also this thread has gotten over 100 replies and almost 3,000 views so I guess I wasn't the only one wondering why pharmacists get paid so much.

Last edited:
pharmacists may make a lot of money starting at age 23-24 but doctors will end up making more by age 40 and in the grand scheme of things, who wants to stand behind a counter and verify pills all day?

Not me, I want to retire by the time I'm 40.

how is that feasible?
Compound interest. Smaller income sooner often beats higher income later. Hell, even pharmacy with 6 years of college can lose out to well paying trades that can be started out of high school.

most doctors finish residency by age 28-29 so I don't what you people are thinking...

You're probably better off arguing that a family medicine doctor is underpaid, as opposed to the pharmacist being overpaid.

Actually, a better argument would be that med-school applications should operate in the same manner as Pharmacy schools- that is, students should be able to apply to med-school after completing all their pre-requisites, instead of having to chug through four years of undergrad. But that's an unrelated point.
Now thats a valid point. Pharm schools only require so many classes as pre-reqs while Med and Dental schools require an undergrad degree. Hence why its a little hard to comprehend the high pay for someone (most pharms who finish in 6 years) while us med students and dentists go a longer route, have much more responsibilities and takes so many more years till making the same salary that pharmacists start off with right out of graduation. I'm pretty sure "The Market" has nothing to do with is, considering all the bad economy and unemployment rates.

Hey fellow med students and doctors, there's no need to rub it in the pharmacists' face. Not necessary the way things are already in our favor.

At the DO schools here, we have both med and pharm students and everyone gets along. Yes, I do notice that the pharm students often resent the DO students out of envy, but the pharm girls would love to marry a male med student, so there is a lot of inter-field dating going on at my school. It all works out.

Actually, I can! :laugh:

So, you want posters to be banned for stating the fact? :eek:
Seriously Kravitz, Hats of to you. I don't know who you are but you've earned my respect for standing up for us medical students :thumbup::highfive:

Hey fellow med students and doctors, there's no need to rub it in the pharmacists' face. Not necessary the way things are already in our favor.

At the DO schools here, we have both med and pharm students and everyone gets along. Yes, I do notice that the pharm students often resent the DO students out of envy, but the pharm girls would love to marry a male med student, so there is a lot of inter-field dating going on at my school. It all works out.

Indeed! However, most female med students will not touch a pharmacist with a pole. They always want to marry up. :smuggrin:

Guess what? You are overpaid. Nurses do most of the work anyway. Your nurse examines the patient, you google the symptoms on your phone, walk in and write a prescription. Sickening.
well guess what buddy, you do the same thing. Looking up rx drugs, googling all these important clinical that all you pharmacists claim to be draining your smarts and all.

You sound like someone who solely got into this field to make money. It's walking robots like you that don't give a **** about patients as much as counting those digits to the mulla in your bank account thats giving pharmacists a bad name, and causing threads like this to start. Look up modesty in the dictionary.

All of you complaining about doctors being dumb and shouldn't be paid high, heres the difference between pharmacists and doctors: doctors actually care about patients and know a thing or two about compassion and what caregiving is. Something all you retail pharmacists who treat each patient like another pay stub would not understand.

Reactions: 1 user
You sound like someone who solely got into this field to make money. It's walking robots like you that don't give a **** about patients as much as counting those digits to the mulla in your bank account thats giving pharmacists a bad name, and causing threads like this to start. Look up modesty in the dictionary.

All of you complaining about doctors being dumb and shouldn't be paid high, heres the difference between pharmacists and doctors: doctors actually care about patients and know a thing or two about compassion and what caregiving is. Something all you retail pharmacists who treat each patient like another pay stub would not understand.

That's too high level for this thread buddy. Limit your comments to how much money you make and how many houses you have. ;)

Well they did have to fit my lab coat to have 4 sleeves instead of two... :D

You are funny!

one word: obamacare

good luck with it.

one word: obamacare

good luck with it.

Its going to streamline a lot of things including pharmacy. It will most likely allow experienced certified techs to do more, hence reducing the cost significantly.

40? I am on track to retiring at 35! I will be in Cali enjoying the beaches while they are finishing up residency. :laugh:

Good luck with that genius. Are you planning on living off $15K a year? :smuggrin:

Last edited:
Automated pill dispensing systems can verify and fill prescriptions and have a smaller error rate than pharmacists.

i didn't know these systems could evaluate and apply clinical guidelines, very nice

Alas.. I probably won't get to retire til age 40 due to student loans ;)

Also to contrast what futuredo said.. I don't think most doctors finish residency by the age of 28.. do you have a source for this ? That would imply that "most" entered med school at age 21.. .....lol

Indeed! However, most female med students will not touch a pharmacist with a pole. They always want to marry up. :smuggrin:

Marry up to a physician equal? So a PA or nurse practitioner.

That's sort of an internal defeatist attitude. I've always assumed it would be impossible for me to marry up. There's only the apex. Who would I marry? I'd have to invent some religion and marry its deity or something. Way too much work.

It's ok, kiddo. We'll get you some counseling. Work on those self esteem issues.

Just think, in 100 years when autonomous androids do all of the work from plumbing to medicine to everything, the people will read upon this thread and laugh at the time before the glorious Marxist robot labor utopia. Everyone will sit around and play Madden 2114 all day while sipping martinis.

Y'all ever see that movie Barry Lyndon? I imagine they'd see **** like this and think about how ridiculous we are like how I watch that movie and think the same. A bunch of idiots...the top 0.1% of wealth in the world...sitting around getting in hilarious pissing matches and trying to tear each other down. All rather than just lounging up and enjoying that they are what they are.

-----

6ztwli.jpg

I might watch that **** later today.

Status
Not open for further replies.