Why do prep courses include topics that aren't listed on AAMC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dontforgetxx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took TPR Exam #3 a few days ago and as I'm going over it now, I'm realizing that there is a passage dedicated to Young's Modulus (stress/strain). The questions related seemed to be calculation heavy but I don't understand the reasoning of even including a passage related to this topic when it doesn't seem to be listed in the AAMC Official Guide Topic List. Maybe I'm wrong and just overlooked it, but I did pretty poorly on this passage. Should I go back and review this topic as well?

Members don't see this ad.

Wow really? So there can be questions they can ask outside of the topic list?

Yeah :eek: Because they would say something like: "Young's modulus is just a proportion of Pressure (Force / Area) to a change in length (deltaL / L) which is related to Hooke's law F = kx."

So the topic list is a guide, but tangentially related or application type questions appear too.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think AAMC might mention certain things such as Young's modulus as it relates to bone stress, pedigrees in genetic testing etc., but they might give background info in a passage and you would just have to use what they provide you to answer the questions. Then again, it is AAMC so..

Yeah :eek: Because they would say something like: "Young's modulus is just a proportion of Pressure (Force / Area) to a change in length (deltaL / L) which is related to Hooke's law F = kx."

So the topic list is a guide, but tangentially related or application type questions appear too.
+1000000

So many have echoed this sentiment to me I have taken it to heart. The AAMC outline is a guide, nothing more. I have already seen Qs in the Q pack and Section bank that require knowledge of material (e.g. Blotting NOT mentioned, pedigree analysis) that is not explicitly on the outline.

The AAMC seem to be masters at casting the broad net that they can trip us up with and say "Hey, topic X does fit under content Y, which we did tell you about!" I don't expect to get spoon fed by them, so I will not fall for their tricks, like releasing 2 way too easy practice tests as the ONLY practice tests we have.