Why do Radonc need to have oral exams anymore?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Our oral boards is like hazing by this "academic clique".
It's normal to feel lousy after boards.
I don't think ABR will condition many people this year due to all changes, Covid, etc

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Rad Onc: You're Not Gonna Like Friday

A young guy goes to prison, feeling totally dejected and alone. He gets there, an older guy sees him and senses he's feeling completely nervous and depressed about the whole prison thing. "Hey young man! Don't worry, prison is not so bad. It can be good even!"
"Really?"
"Oh yeah. You like Italian food?"
"I love Italian."
"Lemme tell ya, on Monday nights we have pizza and spaghetti and eggplant parmigiana. Best food you ever ate."
"That sounds great!"
"Yeah?! And do you like baseball?"
"I love baseball!"
"Well on Tuesdays we have baseball night, we get out in the yard, pitch, catch, everybody has a great time. And do you like movies?"
"I love movies!"
"Listen to this: on Wednesdays we have movie night and popcorn! And how about cards and playing poker. You like to play poker?"
"Yep."
"All the fellas, we have poker night on Thursdays. It's a blast. Big fun."
"Gee. This actually doesn't sound bad. Maybe I'm going to like it here."
"Yeah. Don't worry 'bout it. They say prison is terrible and it's not."
"Seems so. Guess I was worried over nothing."
"And, hey, are you a homosexual?"
"No."
"Ehh... welllll... uh, you're not gonna like Friday."
I think in jail pitching and catching may have other meanings but i would not know only heard!!!

would be interested in hearing other’s thoughts about orals this year. I am hearing similar things as well.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
What was that other piece of software (in addition to Webex) that ABR used?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anonymous post sent to me:

I wanted to share my experience with the oral board examination this past week. I did this post anonymously out of obvious fear of penalty in some way, but I welcome DMs through the moderators.

While the platform and format of the exam were fantastic and I greatly appreciate the ability to take the exam remotely, I was left feeling completely dejected and worthless.

Going in I felt good about my experience and preparation, only to be thrown into oddball scenarios and pinned with questions - without as much as a few moments to think of my response. I had to go onto the mednet afterward to find good answers to some of the cases that were presented. These were not the "last few fun cases" as most people tell you they are going to be, these were many times the first case presented.

After the exam, I had a complete meltdown and panic attack with the recurring thought of having to prepare and take this exam again. The rest of the night was spent fending off some really dark thoughts about my future. Fortunately, I have the best family and support team to get me through it (family I can't be with since I couldn't secure a job to be closer to them, but that's a whole separate issue).

Much of this are my own psychosocial issues and, while I am getting the help I need, I can't help but think that this is not how it should be.

I simply cannot see how that was a test of competence. It's an asinine archaic practice whose only reason for existence is that it has just existed for years. Prove me wrong.

The main reason for me sharing this it let people contemplating this field know about my experience. It has not been pleasant. Ask yourself if you want to be spending your 30s (or beyond) going through a gauntlet of exams and coming out the other end feeling like a piece of **** in some bubble**** place you didn't even know existed until you applied for the job.

I'm probably in the minority here but I actually believe that Oral Boards are the only worthwhile exam that we do. I was absolutely terrified of this exam from day 1 of residency, I was miserable studying for it and would never want to repeat it, but the process of going through it really did consolidate my knowledge and working through cases with colleagues gave me a good opportunity to see how different training/SoC can be across institutions. This is something we can only acknowledge to ourselves in retrospect once it is completely behind us considering how painful it is going through it (successfully) though.

I am not a board examiner but my interpretation of the test is that is a test of competence, not excellence (a cliche but a true one). Sometimes assessing competence involves assessing how you work through a problem that you are not expected to know the answer to. Some cases are straight forward and you are expected to know the answer to these, but many cases exist in grey areas, much like in real life. How many times have you had a case pop up in tumor board that was out of the ordinary and you had to frantically look up a reasonable answer on your phone while it was being presented? In these scenarios you may be lauded if you know the answer but the real expectation is that you don't hurt a patient if you don't. We are the cream of the crop [for the time being]. The emphasis on the socratic method in residency means that we are used to getting answers correct and we are far too hard on ourselves when we get answers wrong. It also conditions us to think that if someone is asking us a question, there is a correct answer that they are looking for.

The best answer in these weird non-standard of care situations is to vocalize your thought process, your concerns, and what you would do to reach a conclusion for treatment without causing undue harm. This is what we do in the real world as well. On my exam I had two cases with a nodal recurrence after radiation (one in the axilla, one in an obturator node after prostate pelvic RT) and I was PUSHED on what I would to do for both and it was immensely frustrating both times because how could I be expected to give an answer without a composite plan, DVHs, discussing with medoncs, discussing with the patient, etc. These are scenarios that if any of us have in clinic, it takes us hours to decide what to do and to evaluate the plan (or it should). These are not scenarios you fail because you don't know what to do, because no one does. There is no standard of care!

So, as much as we would like to have an exam where we are tasked with contouring a low risk prostate or evaluating a set of tangents for DCIS, if this was our expectation then no one would learn anything and this exam would truly be worthless. Exams are meant to be difficult but passable with preparation. This one is and the consistent pass rate is evidence of that. I know many people that left their exam thinking they conditioned a section or two at best and wouldn't be surprised if they failed (myself included), and all of them passed on the first try. The examiners acknowledge that sometimes you have a bad day, and so you can condition a few sections and have an annoying but relatively easy retake. Sometimes people have a REALLY bad day and need to retake the whole thing. It happens, but considering the number of board certified radoncs that I wouldn't trust to give HO prophylaxis to my pet chinchilla, I think that the bar of competency is probably set at a reasonable and achievable level. I'm sure you did better than you think, most of us do.

Reactions: 5 users
I'm probably in the minority here but I actually believe that Oral Boards are the only worthwhile exam that we do. I was absolutely terrified of this exam from day 1 of residency, I was miserable studying for it and would never want to repeat it, but the process of going through it really did consolidate my knowledge and working through cases with colleagues gave me a good opportunity to see how different training/SoC can be across institutions. This is something we can only acknowledge to ourselves in retrospect once it is completely behind us considering how painful it is going through it (successfully) though.

I am not a board examiner but my interpretation of the test is that is a test of competence, not excellence (a cliche but a true one). Sometimes assessing competence involves assessing how you work through a problem that you are not expected to know the answer to. Some cases are straight forward and you are expected to know the answer to these, but many cases exist in grey areas, much like in real life. How many times have you had a case pop up in tumor board that was out of the ordinary and you had to frantically look up a reasonable answer on your phone while it was being presented? In these scenarios you may be lauded if you know the answer but the real expectation is that you don't hurt a patient if you don't. We are the cream of the crop [for the time being]. The emphasis on the socratic method in residency means that we are used to getting answers correct and we are far too hard on ourselves when we get answers wrong. It also conditions us to think that if someone is asking us a question, there is a correct answer that they are looking for.

The best answer in these weird non-standard of care situations is to vocalize your thought process, your concerns, and what you would do to reach a conclusion for treatment without causing undue harm. This is what we do in the real world as well. On my exam I had two cases with a nodal recurrence after radiation (one in the axilla, one in an obturator node after prostate pelvic RT) and I was PUSHED on what I would to do for both and it was immensely frustrating both times because how could I be expected to give an answer without a composite plan, DVHs, discussing with medoncs, discussing with the patient, etc. These are scenarios that if any of us have in clinic, it takes us hours to decide what to do and to evaluate the plan (or it should). These are not scenarios you fail because you don't know what to do, because no one does. There is no standard of care!

So, as much as we would like to have an exam where we are tasked with contouring a low risk prostate or evaluating a set of tangents for DCIS, if this was our expectation then no one would learn anything and this exam would truly be worthless. Exams are meant to be difficult but passable with preparation. This one is and the consistent pass rate is evidence of that. I know many people that left their exam thinking they conditioned a section or two at best and wouldn't be surprised if they failed (myself included), and all of them passed on the first try. The examiners acknowledge that sometimes you have a bad day, and so you can condition a few sections and have an annoying but relatively easy retake. Sometimes people have a REALLY bad day and need to retake the whole thing. It happens, but considering the number of board certified radoncs that I wouldn't trust to give HO prophylaxis to my pet chinchilla, I think that the bar of competency is probably set at a reasonable and achievable level. I'm sure you did better than you think, most of us do.
You are not alone. I agree. We should not get rid of oral boards. There are still a lot of fields that have them.

I will also note, almost everyone I talked to right after the exam thought they failed (me included). After you pass, then you should state how you feel lol.

We are in a long tradition of not only here to "do our job" but to be experts / masters/ academic doctors that should be held to very high and rigorous testing in our own field.

THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO THE WRITTEN CLINICAL BOARDS

Reactions: 1 users
How many times have you had a case pop up in tumor board that was out of the ordinary and you had to frantically look up a reasonable answer on your phone while it was being presented? In these scenarios you may be lauded if you know the answer but the real expectation is that you don't hurt a patient if you don't.
I usually go with what the referring doc wants me to say or say something different from the opposing rad onc.

• Haha
I usually go with what the referring doc wants me to say or say something different from the opposing rad onc.
I won’t lie. I really want to oppose you because you have a picture of Hot Rod holding the matrix of leadership as your picture/avatar it makes me (Megatron) want to oppose you at every turn (though I mostly agree with everything you say hahaha)

laugh laughing GIF

• Love
  • Haha
I won’t lie. I really want to oppose you because you have a picture of Hot Rod holding the matrix of leadership as your picture/avatar it makes me (Megatron) want to oppose you at every turn (though I mostly agree with everything you say hahaha)

laugh laughing GIF

If only Michael Bay didn’t ruin my childhood!

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
considering the number of board certified radoncs that I wouldn't trust to give HO prophylaxis to my pet chinchilla, I think that the bar of competency is probably set at a reasonable and achievable level.
I'm not worried about these board certified radoncs when they take oral boards and get certified. I'm worried about them years to decades later when they've forgotten most of it + haven't kept up with new literature. They're basically 19__ or 20__ (years around board certification) radoncs walking around in 2021 (or whatever year in the future). Those are the "board certified in name only" radoncs who no one would trust to give HO ppx to your pet chinchilla.

I agree with keeping the oral boards. Doing the Osler course before hand taught me how poor some residents understand the field, how to think without a cook book, and how to coordinate care. Some people did not understand why there is a verification simulation or why we laser a tattoo/isocenter for instance or even what other specialties are involved in a complex case. These things do not get teased out on written exam and when you get to hear people talk it helps understand where they are missing knowledge and clinical understanding. I certainly learned a ton studying and with the prep course as well. Multiple choice is not always the answer and I would rather have 3 virtual oral boards instead of the written exams. Compared to memorizing the B- emitters for Physics we should be doing 3 rounds of virtual oral boards.

• Okay...
I agree with keeping the oral boards. Doing the Osler course before hand taught me how poor some residents understand the field, how to think without a cook book, and how to coordinate care. Some people did not understand why there is a verification simulation or why we laser a tattoo/isocenter for instance or even what other specialties are involved in a complex case. These things do not get teased out on written exam and when you get to hear people talk it helps understand where they are missing knowledge and clinical understanding. I certainly learned a ton studying and with the prep course as well. Multiple choice is not always the answer and I would rather have 3 virtual oral boards instead of the written exams. Compared to memorizing the B- emitters for Physics we should be doing 3 rounds of virtual oral boards.
Do not wish for oral physics boards. Well actually maybe we should because that is guaranteed to cut down residency spots LOL

Cancel the oral boards. They don't teach to think (too late). They don't deter almost anyone from practicing RadOnc in USA. The just "condition" some people for 2 years in a row at the worst and then ABR will pass you (with rare exceptions).

Members don't see this ad :)
Oral boards really were good to study/learn/talk with others about how to practice. However, data from the ABIM demonstrated that the only variable which determined whether or not someone passed or failed was which examiner they had. So, they did away with them, as they're inherently unfair.

The fact we have written biology boards is an absolute joke. Clinical boards should have physics incorporated into them. Fin.

I don’t get the fascination with oral boards in this field. I find it quite bizarre. we are like the opus dei albino in “Da Vinci Code”. We love to self flagellate. Nobody seems to care that we have 4 boards. Still catfish. Truth hurts. Sorry folks!

I don’t get the fascination with oral boards in this field. I find it quite bizarre. we are like the opus dei albino in “Da Vinci Code”. We love to self flagellate. Nobody seems to care that we have 4 boards. Still catfish. Truth hurts. Sorry folks!
Truth Hurts GIF by Lizzo

Rad onc's great, till it gotta be great.

• Haha
Per Paul Wallner - the oral board exam is a test of competence, not of excellence. This in contrast to radbio/physics and clinical written which aim to test esoteria.

I get some people like the orals, but I think it has to do more with the content of what they test, as opposed to the format? I'm sure there is a way to create a test of competence in written format that is mainly clinical in focus.

Per Paul Wallner - the oral board exam is a test of competence, not of excellence. This in contrast to radbio/physics and clinical written which aim to test esoteria.

I get some people like the orals, but I think it has to do more with the content of what they test, as opposed to the format? I'm sure there is a way to create a test of competence in written format that is mainly clinical in focus.

If this were actually the case it would be standardized and each section would not vary immensely from examiner to examiner and have the same cases for everybody. Each person's experience is different making the entire test subjective. It's also in direct contrast to our daily practicing lives and how we carefully deliberate and make decisions based on evidence, discussion with patients, colleagues, etc. It's just not a real world experience.
The studying etc is quite helpful as I feel I have a great grasp of overall radiation oncology currently but I still think the oral board exam is a useless dinosaur that needs to go. Even though now I kind of want it around to check the quality of future grads, but that's a different story...

At least give the exam at the end of residency. Combine some physics and radbio into the written.

I don't think any of us defenders of the oral boards want to keep doing 4 board exams. I think most of us (myself for sure) see it more of an either or between oral and written clinical exams and feel that, on average, the oral format does a better job of assessing competence rather than random factoids. Looking at the exams that I took, I would take the oral exam over the written exam in a heart beat. Disclaimer: its been a few years and all of that could change with the new formatting and new crops of examiners enter the picture.

The ABR has the perfect opportunity to determine whether there is true objectivity. As the orals have gone virtual they should be able to anonymize the examiner and examinee and get a transcript of the interaction. The transcripts can then be reviewed by independent experts and determine if the judgment of the ABR examiner is consistent; i.e. what is the concordance of the independent reviewers and the examiner. I would support the ABR spending my dues $$ on an exercise like this.

Daniel Kahneman's newest book highlights how noisy human judgment is. Maybe someone can give a copy to the ABR Board members.

Amazon product

• Love
The ABR has the perfect opportunity to determine whether there is true objectivity. As the orals have gone virtual they should be able to anonymize the examiner and examinee and get a transcript of the interaction. The transcripts can then be reviewed by independent experts and determine if the judgment of the ABR examiner is consistent; i.e. what is the concordance of the independent reviewers and the examiner. I would support the ABR spending my dues $$ on an exercise like this.

Daniel Kahneman's newest book highlights how noisy human judgment is. Maybe someone can give a copy to the ABR Board members.

Amazon product

This should ABSOLUTELY be conducted. If someone wants to cry about IRB/consent, fine, do it in September with the next administration with proper consent and approvals.

There's a reason many specialties used to have oral exams and no longer do. Even the ABR opted to discard oral boards for Diagnostic Radiology. As per usual, RadOnc lags behind, clinging to old ideals and practices, while time marches on.

I'm watching some of the 2020 ASTRO review videos to prep for oral boards, and sadly, though not surprisingly, some of the presenters themselves don't seem to have a firm grasp on the data or trial designs, despite making the presentation. Some are helpful of course. This makes me wonder, in addition to having to take boards and be examined by these people, if I can get my $250 back.

The oral boards were a completely fair exam when I took them two years ago. It seems pretty standardized at this point. There seem to be a set of cases and images. The questions seem relatively standard. I think it’s a completely reasonable and good exam. It’s a hard thing to test without an oral exam.

As much as you say that DR got rid of their orals, IR still has one. There are procedural decisions to make and cases to analyze. I think that’s the point of orals, to see how you analyze and treat real cases. I think that’s hard to do with a written exam outside of essay format, for which judgment would also be subjective.

I'm watching some of the 2020 ASTRO review videos to prep for oral boards, and sadly, though not surprisingly, some of the presenters themselves don't seem to have a firm grasp on the data or trial designs, despite making the presentation. Some are helpful of course. This makes me wonder, in addition to having to take boards and be examined by these people, if I can get my $250 back.

worst Astro refresher presenter by far has been Percy lee

plugs himself a lot (seriously 4 pi SBRT wtf) and his own Twitter feed plus friends :rofl:

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
worst Astro refresher presenter by far has been Percy lee

plugs himself a lot (seriously 4 pi SBRT wtf) and his own Twitter feed plus friends :rofl:
I'm surprised he doesn't plug his old boss, Sleazy Mikey Steinberg

• Haha
Congrats to everyone that survived this torture. My previously posted thoughts and opinions about the test remain the same. So glad to be done.

Truth Hurts GIF by Lizzo

Rad onc's great, till it gotta be great.

I hear Australia makes some good radiation oncologists? Good physicists too?

No oral examinations. (And they have way less RO examinees to deal with.)

Essay only in what they call "phase 2." Phase 1 is a multiple choice. You take phase 2 after being in practice for a year or so. Or so I have heard mate.
CobQmXE.png

I hear Australia makes some good radiation oncologists? Good physicists too?

No oral examinations. (And they have way less RO examinees to deal with.)

Essay only in what they call "phase 2." Phase 1 is a multiple choice. You take phase 2 after being in practice for a year or so. Or so I have heard mate.
CobQmXE.png
Ah, essays mean a literal written record of examinee's responses, which allows requests for review of scoring, which can actually be performed and there might be accountability?

NOT IN MY AMERICA, NO SIR.

• Haha
Ah, essays mean a literal written record of examinee's responses, which allows requests for review of scoring, which can actually be performed and there might be accountability?

NOT IN MY AMERICA, NO SIR.
A reviewable paper trail? That is crazy talk. Here at ABR, our innovative leaders in the field of disappointment have been tirelessly putting the ass in assessment for over 20 years. Trust us, our way is better.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Haven’t posted in a while, conditioned breast. I feel fortunate to have passed the other stuff but good lord I’m tired of this process. It takes so long, I’m so tired, I’m so over it. It’s hard to feel happy when you still have a weight over your head. I just needed to vent.

• Sad
  • Dislike
Reactions: 8 users
Haven’t posted in a while, conditioned breast. I feel fortunate to have passed the other stuff but good lord I’m tired of this process. It takes so long, I’m so tired, I’m so over it. It’s hard to feel happy when you still have a weight over your head. I just needed to vent.
Sorry to hear, but hang in there. My partner conditioned peds a couple of times. Lots easier to only have to study a single section. I'm sure you'll be fine in the long-term. Hasn't affected her in the least.

Don't worry about it for another 6 or 9 months. I know of plenty of people who have conditioned it in the past and as far as I can tell it has not effected their careers one bit, which is really the only reason to care about it.

Don't worry about it for another 6 or 9 months. I know of plenty of people who have conditioned it in the past and as far as I can tell it has not effected their careers one bit, which is really the only reason to care about it.
I know, and that solace does help. We do have to option to retake in September so it’s not that far off, but it’s mostly super disappointing to know I’m not done

• Care
I know, and that solace does help. We do have to option to retake in September so it’s not that far off, but it’s mostly super disappointing to know I’m not done
You have a good attitude and I agree with above: it won’t affect your career at all. There are a couple academic chairs out there who conditioned at least 1 section. At least you hit a speed bump now and not on Step 1. In our field you have to get at least 250...oh wait. Never mind. If you are an American MD who can spell your name right at least 50% of the time you will match now. I keep forgetting that.

• Haha
Has no bearing on employment whatsoever. I even know a few young academicians who got promotions ("director of research / education" etc) while failing to secure full ABR cert.

I agree with everyone else. You did great and take a break for a while. This is just a small hurdle in a long career with no long term side effects.

Next to passing everything, conditioning breast is a close second.
Very true.

For a topic that's so simple in practice it can get unnecessarily complicated in a test environment. I treat 50% breast and wouldn't have been surprised if I'd conditioned it. Sometimes you just don't jive with your examiner. For one section you could realistically study hard for 2-4 weeks and that'll be the end of it. To reiterate what everyone has said it will have no bearing on your career and nobody that you currently work with truly gives a ****, it's just a bit of an extra annoyance. On the flipside, congrats on passing everything other than breast!

For a topic that's so simple in practice it can get unnecessarily complicated in a test environment. I treat 50% breast and wouldn't have been surprised if I'd conditioned it.
This is what kills me about breast (and, obviously, so many of us as well).

When I'm in the clinic seeing breast patients? It's awesome, the picture is usually clear, treatment planning isn't that bad, etc.

Taking boards or with a group of "academic breast specialists" in like chart rounds or tumor board? Good God, you'd think breast was the most complicated topic on the entire planet, and if you don't know that obscure study from Slovenia with 24 patients well...you're just not a good doctor!

What makes breast difficult is the number of different treatment techniques and the substantial grey areas that exist between no RT, partial breast, whole breast, high tangents and RNI.

On my orals I got hung up when the examiner wanted me to describe my approach/technique for APBI for a patient that had to be finished within the next week and could not come back for any further treatment. We never did this in residency and I haven't done it since.

What makes breast difficult is the number of different treatment techniques and the substantial grey areas that exist between no RT, partial breast, whole breast, high tangents and RNI.

On my orals I got hung up when the examiner wanted me to describe my approach/technique for APBI for a patient that had to be finished within the next week and could not come back for any further treatment. We never did this in residency and I haven't done it since.
If that answer was grounds for conditioning it, then something needs to be done, as they're asking for a trial that would fit this criteria, but I don't do 1 week bid apbi. Sorry. I only want to focus on what I do as that's what the boards should be concerned with. In addition to heart and lung constraints to obsess over for breast, there are doctor constraints. My constraint would have been violated by this idiotic scenario.

• Haha

I’ve said it before and will say it again... breast is the worst! Nothing to do with complexity of the treatment, it’s all about “style.”

Very true.

For a topic that's so simple in practice it can get unnecessarily complicated in a test environment. I treat 50% breast and wouldn't have been surprised if I'd conditioned it. Sometimes you just don't jive with your examiner. For one section you could realistically study hard for 2-4 weeks and that'll be the end of it. To reiterate what everyone has said it will have no bearing on your career and nobody that you currently work with truly gives a ****, it's just a bit of an extra annoyance. On the flipside, congrats on passing everything other than breast!
THIS. I also treat about 50% breast and actually feel really comfortable with the data, and spouting off in tumor board. I guess what frustrates me is how the pass/fail line in any given section comes down to jiving with your examiner. I actually think I learned a lot and consolidated knowledge through the process of studying, as painful as it was, but there has to be some way of improving the process so you don’t fail based on bad vibes (I actually did have bad vibes coming out of that section tbh).

I got hung up and left out a key word describing a three field set up, for some reason the term “monoisocentric” was no where to be found in my brain.

If that answer was grounds for conditioning it, then something needs to be done, as they're asking for a trial that would fit this criteria, but I don't do 1 week bid apbi. Sorry. I only want to focus on what I do as that's what the boards should be concerned with. In addition to heart and lung constraints to obsess over for breast, there are doctor constraints. My constraint would have been violated by this idiotic scenario.
Passed.

congrats!
I’ve said it before and will say it again... breast is the worst! Nothing to do with complexity of the treatment, it’s all about “style.”
Remember how the German Engineers at Siemens drove their linacs into the ground with over engineering in the 90s? That is exactly how I feel about academic breast cancer. So. Much. Granularity. The sheer boredom of having to relearn the minutia of managing the axilla is 99% of the reason I get all of my certification requirements knocked out as far in advance as possible.

congrats!

Remember how the German Engineers at Siemens drove their linacs into the ground with over engineering in the 90s? That is exactly how I feel about academic breast cancer. So. Much. Granularity. The sheer boredom of having to relearn the minutia of managing the axilla is 99% of the reason I get all of my certification requirements knocked out as far in advance as possible.
Ah that's a great analogy of what RadOnc has turned into -"over engineering". Are patient outcomes better by requiring this level of minutiae memorization to attain board certification?

No? How surprising.

Ah that's a great analogy of what RadOnc has turned into -"over engineering". Are patient outcomes better by requiring this level of minutiae memorization to attain board certification?

No? How surprising.
Right, and wrt partial breast RT, I have opted to go with the IMPORT-LOW approach, which is basically just WBRT with some cheating. That's what community docs do, try to generally standardize things instead of having an infinite armamentarium of approaches that are all the same wrt outcomes, and for which nobody site-specific specialists has the brain space to know in great detail. Since my patients aren't flying in for a week, I don't ever need to know the APBI approach beyond that it exists, and maybe someday I'll use it. I don't disagree with others using it, but wrt to boards, a simple question like, would you use partial breast and when is more in line with confirming competence than, "you have a week to get partial breast done," which is absurd. This isn't trauma surgery.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Right, and wrt partial breast RT, I have opted to go with the IMPORT-LOW approach, which is basically just WBRT with some cheating. That's what community docs do, try to generally standardize things instead of having an infinite armamentarium of approaches that are all the same wrt outcomes, and for which nobody site-specific specialists has the brain space to know in great detail. Since my patients aren't flying in for a week, I don't ever need to know the APBI approach beyond that it exists, and maybe someday I'll use it. I don't disagree with others using it, but wrt to boards, a simple question like, would you use partial breast and when is more in line with confirming competence than, "you have a week to get partial breast done," which is absurd. This isn't trauma surgery.
I try to go with the Intensity Modulated Partial Organ Radiotherapy approach, but Evicore doesn't allow it :(

EDIT: Returning to post cool video

Last edited:
  • Haha