Why do schools get their d$cks hard over STEP1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

typeB-md

Be more like McCain!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why do schools use this as a tool for selection of residents? I fail to see how excelling at basic sciences makes you a better candidate for dermatology or plastic surgery.

And then STEP2 that seems like it makes somewhat sense to use in selection is almost always totally disregarded.

Does anyone have an explanation for me?

Members don't see this ad.

Why do undergrads use the SATs?
Why do Medical Schools use the MCAT?

patelakshar said:
Why do undergrads use the SATs?
Why do Medical Schools use the MCAT?

undergrads use SAT as a measure of aptitude. i can see how this can pertain to the potential abilities of students during college.

the MCAT is supposed to measure your thinking and reading abilities. this relates to how well you will be able to deal with volumes of material and study it.

what does the step1 measure?

Members don't see this ad :)
i wish all i had to do was be stupid and smile a lot but that's not how the world works. artificial measures of achievement or potential are everywhere in life. why do basketball camps make you do a 40 meter sprint and measure your hops? why do classes have exams? why do you say 3 hail marys for thinking about josie maran naked? arbitrariness and artificiality is the foundation of human civilization.

typeB-md said:
Why do schools use this as a tool for selection of residents? I fail to see how excelling at basic sciences makes you a better candidate for dermatology or plastic surgery.

And then STEP2 that seems like it makes somewhat sense to use in selection is almost always totally disregarded.

There are two main reasons I see/have heard.

-There has to be some way for a program to objectively compare two people from different schools with different experiences. We can't all be graded by or get letters from the same people. Some schools have grades, others are pass/fail, so there has to be some way to compare.

-As was told to me by one of the ortho guys at my school, seeing someone do well on USMLE is a good way to know they should be able to pass their specialty boards. If you can't pass Step 1, then a program is worried you will mess up their boards pass rate and make them look bad.

typeB-md said:

Why do idiots on SDN always either 1) whine about or 2) exaggerate their board scores?

I also think it's cute to impress us by cursing with $ymbol$

:laugh:

Why do you have to use offensive language to ask a simple question?

bigfrank said:
Why do idiots on SDN always either 1) whine about or 2) exaggerate their board scores?

I also think it's cute to impress us by cursing with $ymbol$

:laugh:

well since they'll "kick me out" if i use the real world, you know, since we're 12 years old and have never used rated pg language.. i don't want upset the TOS crew.

beanbean said:
Why do you have to use offensive language to ask a simple question?

hey, are you gay? it's a serious question and i seriously mean as in terms of liking other men. there is nothing wrong with this as i believe it to be a natural phenomenon and the state of cali supreme court seems to agree. i'm just curious because you seem overly sensitive.

either that or you're a chic. in which case it is perfectly understandable.

Uh, veering back on topic, I talked to docs on the residency selection for both OB-GYN and PM&R about what they look for in residents. Both said that they weight STEP 2 more than step 1. So, there you go. I guess it's not universal.