Why do so many DOs choose allopathic residencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ypo.

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd like to hear opinions on some of the pros and cons of doing an osteopathic residency versus an allopathic residency.
For example, suppose I wanted to be a family practitioner who used OMT-which residency would be best for me? I certainly want to get the best training in OMT as I feel it would be useful in a family practice, but I'm worried that would mean sacrificing experience in other aspects of family medicine (due to the reported low patient volume residents see in osteopathic residencies).

I certainly appreciate any insights! :)

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to really incorporate OMT into your practice, you're better off doing a DO residency, as you'll be able to use OMT throughout your training period. That said, a lot of DO students do MD residencies because for one thing, there are more of them, and, depending on what speciality you want to pursue, the overall training is sometimes better. In addition, you'll have a very hard time getting board certified if you do a MD sub-speciality after a DO residency.

Why do so many DOs choose allopathic residencies?

Myself, I will end up going the ACGME route since there are so few choices in the southwest (west period) in anythiong but Family Med. and my wife and I are not interested in moving far from the area.

Members don't see this ad :)
DrCoreyOSU said:
If you want to really incorporate OMT into your practice, you're better off doing a DO residency, as you'll be able to use OMT throughout your training period.

This is the exact reason why I will pursue and M.D. residency, NO OMT. However, this is just because I want to pursue a non primary care specialty. If you do primary care and especially Family Practice, it would be silly in my opinion to not pursue an osteopathic residency. As far as size and quality of D.O. residencies, there are some really good ones out there just as there are some bad ones.

From what I have seen and this is only my experience, but there isn't a lot of OMT that goes on in any residency-even DO residency. If OMT is what you want to do you'll have to look at each program and ask them specifically.

I'm applying to 2 DO and 20 MD programs because I have researched each and found them to be good for me.

While rotating through different institutions and talking with other classmates it seems that many of the AOA residencies do not provide proper training and experience. Many of the residency programs tend to be based in a small, community hospital. You will not get much variety or see many complex cases in these smaller hospitals. :sleep: The teaching can really suck sometimes too. :(

Furthermore, doing an AOA residency does not necessarily mean you will get any OMT training. I have rotated through 3 different hospitals that have AOA approved FP residencies. The OMT was non-existent in one hospital (county), do it on your own free time if you can find it at another (tiny community hospital with many MD attendings), and done every few days as "OMT rounds" at the third (small community hospital), where it seemed to be more of an obligatory search out some patient unable to refuse OMT and work on them and get it over with. That is my personal observation though.

I am not going into FP and am not interested in AOA residency programs because I feel they are weaker, and more of a hassle. The AOA needs to step up and improve the quality of their programs and stop being so archaic about everything :mad: (like COMLEX or the residency application system). But that's a whole different issue.

Look at each individual residency program is my advice. Good luck.

All that I have seen in Missouri (which is very limited) as well as most of the students that I have talked to (also limited) have indicated that the residency programs and doctors here use OMT, so if you are looking to practice OMT you could certainly come here. Most likely they will be the smaller practices, because the only docs that use OMT in the hospital (that I have seen) are the NMM/OMM docs. You could also do a Family practice/OMM residency which, unfortunately are few and competitive. Certainly check out the program before you apply. :)

yposhelley said:
I'd like to hear opinions on some of the pros and cons of doing an osteopathic residency versus an allopathic residency.
For example, suppose I wanted to be a family practitioner who used OMT-which residency would be best for me? I certainly want to get the best training in OMT as I feel it would be useful in a family practice, but I'm worried that would mean sacrificing experience in other aspects of family medicine (due to the reported low patient volume residents see in osteopathic residencies).

There aren't enough DO residencies to accomodate the number of new graduates that get pumped out each year.

Heeed! said:
There aren't enough DO residencies to accomodate the number of new graduates that get pumped out each year.

Many of the smaller hospitals which had DOs do their residencies have closed down in the last several years. Not because of anything that has to do with them being DO hospitals, but because small hospitals in general have been getting squeezed. That said, most of the larger hospitals are allopathic and there are many more training opportunities in allopathic hospitals than there are allopathic graduates. Many osteopathic graduates would like to take advantage of the location of these allopathic hospitals and the broader scope of residencies than the existing DO hospitals.

I personally think that if the osteopathic profession is concerned with growing, there should be more hospitals and post-graduate training opportunities to continue osteopathic training rather than opening new osteopathic teaching institutions every year. Any thoughts?

Wow, thats pretty disappointing that the Osteopathic residencies are so limiting. I do want to learn and become skilled in OMT, but not enough to limit my other skills as a FP due to the small amount of patients I'd see.

I have read that everyone gets taught basic OMT but there is frustration because students feel they are not taught how and when to incorporate it into their practices.

I shadowed one FP DO the other day who uses a lot of OMT and he mentioned he did continuing medical education on OMT. I wonder if I could do an allopathic residency, and look for CME opporunities on OMT.
Does anyone else think this is a good idea?

yposhelley said:
I wonder if I could do an allopathic residency, and look for CME opporunities on OMT.
Does anyone else think this is a good idea?

I even know of some allopathic graduates who are considering this approach to learning OMM. One in particular applied to MD programs without even knowing osteopathy existed. Once she learned about it, she really wanted to work it into her future FP work, so she'll be doing OMM CME after her residency.

So I'm sure that approach is a possibility.

It sounds like that approach might be the best for me-I'll have to ask the OMT DO I shadowed and see what he thinks.
Thanks for the comments and advice. ;)

If there's not much OMT going on at a particular DO residency, that's probably because there's litte interest in it on the part of the residents there. If you make sure that some of the attendings at a program are interested in OMT (but not OMT/craniosacral fanatics!), they can help you use it appropriately in your treatment plans.

In my opinion, you will also get the best integrative sense of OMM and its proper use by practicing it during your residency, rather than as an add-on learned through CME after residency. At a DO FP program, you can probably do as much or as little OMT as you want.

Members don't see this ad :)
InductionAgent said:
If there's not much OMT going on at a particular DO residency, that's probably because there's litte interest in it on the part of the residents there. If you make sure that some of the attendings at a program are interested in OMT (but not OMT/craniosacral fanatics!), they can help you use it appropriately in your treatment plans.

In my opinion, you will also get the best integrative sense of OMM and its proper use by practicing it during your residency, rather than as an add-on learned through CME after residency. At a DO FP program, you can probably do as much or as little OMT as you want.

But do you think there are a lot of DO FP residencies that are busy and see a high volume of patients? What I have heard from others is that DO residencies are kind of slow. I would most likely be doing one in Michigan.
Thanks for the adivice.

A lot of the OMT you might do during your AOA FP residency will be "on your own time"--depending, of course, on where you go. It's not gonna be any different from med school though. There is more curriculum at a DO school b/c there is more curriculum (AMA curriculum + OMT). Well, in a residency you have 3 options--longer hours do add OMT, regular hours w/o OMT, or less hours of basic medical education + OMT. I have seen all 3.

So you have to ask yourself, do you want to spend more time than your colleagues at the hospital to work on OMT? I think most will say No. If you said YES, then look for programs that really flaunt OMT as an emphasis. I know a previous post suggested that OMT is what each resident makes of it. While I agree with that, I also believe that OMT heavy programs attract OMT oriented residents and OMT weak programs attract OMT disinterested residents.

When you ask a program if they focus on OMT, always ask them HOW. Also ask the residents about it. If they roll their eyes or laugh--it's a weak OMT residency. If they get excited then it's probably a stronger OMT emphasis--unless they are just really excited to not have to do pelvic diaphragm release on pts with urinary incontinence :eek: or cranial on fibramyalgia pts :sleep: (yes, I've had to do both).

Thanks, Lefty, that is some good advice that I will follow when I get there.
It sounds like you think its alright to do a DO residency, then. I just don't want to get stuck somewhere where I see 5 patients a day.

As I am taking a break from my ERAS application, I noticed this link. There are several reasons why I am only applying to MD residency programs. Most of these have been mentioned here.
1. More opportunities in the specialties and you aren't limited to PA, MO, MI, and OH.
2. After going through the DO education, I have noticed we just don't get the same quality of education as my MD friends as we tend to only get the rotations in 3rd-4th year that they don't want. I am tired of being 2nd class all of the time.
3. The AOA is such a poor organization, I really don't want to be involved with them.
4. I plan on doing a fellowship, and univeristy hospitals (MD) tend to be the best route for getting into good fellowships.
5. Unless your top choices are DO programs, you get taken out of the MD match if you apply to both and match DO.
6. So many DO programs are in smaller hospitals and get shut down, I don't want to be half-way through my program and lose it. (Happened recently to some people I know).

If you want to be an FP, that is what the DO profession caters to. I would say go for DO spots if it is where you want to do your program. If you want to do anything else, go MD.
David, MSIV

dkwyler94 said:
As I am taking a break from my ERAS application, I noticed this link. There are several reasons why I am only applying to MD residency programs. Most of these have been mentioned here.
1. More opportunities in the specialties and you aren't limited to PA, MO, MI, and OH.
2. After going through the DO education, I have noticed we just don't get the same quality of education as my MD friends as we tend to only get the rotations in 3rd-4th year that they don't want. I am tired of being 2nd class all of the time.
3. The AOA is such a poor organization, I really don't want to be involved with them.
4. I plan on doing a fellowship, and univeristy hospitals (MD) tend to be the best route for getting into good fellowships.
5. Unless your top choices are DO programs, you get taken out of the MD match if you apply to both and match DO.
6. So many DO programs are in smaller hospitals and get shut down, I don't want to be half-way through my program and lose it. (Happened recently to some people I know).

If you want to be an FP, that is what the DO profession caters to. I would say go for DO spots if it is where you want to do your program. If you want to do anything else, go MD.
David, MSIV

Wow, you really feel second-rate in the 3rd and 4th years? Could you give me some examples of why you know you're only getting leftovers MDs don't want?
Perhaps this is a reason to put some pressure on the AOA to make sure that DOs are more represented. That is kind of sad. Previously, I had heard that DOs get an education equivalent to MDs-but apparently not in years 3 and 4. That is very important to me.
Thanks for taking the time to post, this is helpful.

As a second year resident (and proud DO) in a predominantly allopathic residency, I can give a different opinion. I see DO students and MD students rotating in the ED and on all the various specialties throughout the hospital. I can tell you that *generally* the MD students are a bit sharper. We all can give examples of super star DOs and really crappy MDs, but on average, the MD students have a much sharper education adn are a bit sharper clinically. Dont' get me wrong, but I've seen some really crappy MDs too.

I've had several friends who graduated from the MD institution I'm at (that were DOs). One was looking for a job around town (there are two DO hospitals around the Tampa area). When they interviewed at one group, my friend said "I'm a DO, that won't be a problem, right?" The person said "oh crap... you're not from Suncoast IM program, are you?" (The DO hospital). My friend said "no, I"m from the USF IM program." And the interviewer said "phew! Ok, I was going to reject you if you were."

I think for FP, the DO world is decent. There are obviously stronger DO FP programs than others, you will get a good feel for it. But if you are in any cerebral residency, you need to go MD. The training is just far superior.

There will always be exceptions and always be good DO programs. I know several EM physicians who graduated DO programs and they are very sharp. There will ALWAYS be exceptions.

Q

yposhelley said:
Wow, you really feel second-rate in the 3rd and 4th years? Could you give me some examples of why you know you're only getting leftovers MDs don't want?
Perhaps this is a reason to put some pressure on the AOA to make sure that DOs are more represented. That is kind of sad. Previously, I had heard that DOs get an education equivalent to MDs-but apparently not in years 3 and 4. That is very important to me.
Thanks for taking the time to post, this is helpful.
This is a generalization much like most of the statements on this board. Some schools do have crappy rotation sites while others have good ones that are just as good as MD schools. I would say PCOM, NYCOM, and CCOM rotate in good hospitals simply because they are respected in their given areas and students can rotate in the hospitals in the area.

Sharky or Quinn, do either of you have an opinion on MSUCOM? It looks like a really goodschool-like they get treated equally with MDs.
Partly, I'm just trying to discover some good criteria with which to judge schools-I think I will get offered multiple acceptances this year and I want to go where the education and opportunities are best. MSUCOM is convenient and I know they share their first two years of classes with MDs so there can't be a difference there at any rate.
I'm also very interested in DMUCOM and KCOM. However I "heard" on SDN that DMUCOM didn't have a very good pass rate for the COMLEX, although its facilities look awesome. I also applied to LECOM, but am thinking of not going to the interview (assuming I get one) because the dean reportedly does not even know (or claims to not know) the schools pass rate. To me that is scary. I don't want to be easily swayed here, but I haven't been able to find info on websites. When a school hides something, it makes me really nervous.
Thanks for any comments :)

yposhelley said:
Sharky or Quinn, do either of you have an opinion on MSUCOM? It looks like a really goodschool-like they get treated equally with MDs.
Partly, I'm just trying to discover some good criteria with which to judge schools-I think I will get offered multiple acceptances this year and I want to go where the education and opportunities are best. MSUCOM is convenient and I know they share their first two years of classes with MDs so there can't be a difference there at any rate.
I'm also very interested in DMUCOM and KCOM. However I "heard" on SDN that DMUCOM didn't have a very good pass rate for the COMLEX, although its facilities look awesome. I also applied to LECOM, but am thinking of not going to the interview (assuming I get one) because the dean reportedly does not even know (or claims to not know) the schools pass rate. To me that is scary. I don't want to be easily swayed here, but I haven't been able to find info on websites. When a school hides something, it makes me really nervous.
I think MSUCOM is a good school. Currently the allopathic students have the same basic science classes as the osteopathic students, but I think they are in the process of moving their allopathic school.

Michigan is the biggest DO state and it is one of the few states where most people know what a DO is. I've heard figures that 1/3 of the physicians there are DOs so obviously it's a very DO-friendly state. I'm sure the rotations there are excellent as a result. One downside is that the tuition for out of state students is $45,000 a year and that's just tuition compared to the normal $32,000 of your typical private school.

KCOM of course is one of the better DO school simply because it's the founding school. I don't know too much about KCOM or DMU but I would recommend as I said before CCOM, NYCOM, PCOM, and TCOM, although TCOM accepts mostly in-state. Those would probably be the top DO schools in the nation or at least up there.

Sharky said:
I think MSUCOM is a good school. Currently the allopathic students have the same basic science classes as the osteopathic students, but I think they are in the process of moving their allopathic school.

Michigan is the biggest DO state and it is one of the few states where most people know what a DO is. I've heard figures that 1/3 of the physicians there are DOs so obviously it's a very DO-friendly state. I'm sure the rotations there are excellent as a result. One downside is that the tuition for out of state students is $45,000 a year and that's just tuition compared to the normal $32,000 of your typical private school.

KCOM of course is one of the better DO school simply because it's the founding school. I don't know too much about KCOM or DMU but I would recommend as I said before CCOM, NYCOM, PCOM, and TCOM, although TCOM accepts mostly in-state. Those would probably be the top DO schools in the nation or at least up there.

True, but they won't be moving it for at least a few years, as the assistant dean told me the other day. And I moved here to MI to escape the horrible out-of-state tuition (and increase my acceptance chances :D )

VentdependenT said:
As said before, DO's are 99% as good as MD's.

What, only 99%!

yposhelley said:

IMHO, it doesn't matter what school you go to. You should use these two criteria for choosing a medical school:

Everything else is the same. You'll get the same education no matter where you go!
Q

Sharky said:

PS What are the criteria that have led you to the opinion that CCOM, NYCOM, and PCOM are good?

yposhelley said:
PS What are the criteria that have led you to the opinion that CCOM, NYCOM, and PCOM are good?
All three have been around a long time, are located in or near major cities, and are also near several allopathic schools. As a result, they do their rotations at the same hospitals as the allopathic students.

Sharky said:
All three have been around a long time, are located in or near major cities, and are also near several allopathic schools. As a result, they do their rotations at the same hospitals as the allopathic students.

In the case of PCOM, this seems to be a common misconception. A FEW rotations are done at these places. An example would be your sub-i at Pennsylvania Hospital (w/Penn). ONE student per month gets this slot. Another is Lehigh VAlley, however these spots are few and far between. Another would be anything at MCP (if it is still open). Although there were plenty of MCP students around and we shared some didactics with them, services were seperate. In other cases you may rotate at an allopathic hospital but not with students from that school. An example is at Northeastern Hospital (part of Temple). PCOM does their ER rotation there. If I suffered an injury or illness on the front steps of this hospital, I would crawl to another hospital. Temple does not send it's students there, it is so bad.

bobo

What about KCOM-they have a hospital right on campus. Does anyone have personal experience with this hospital?

yposhelley said:
What about KCOM-they have a hospital right on campus. Does anyone have personal experience with this hospital?

It's a small hospital in a town of about 10 people! I'm sure they give good medical care but your not going to see much pathology!

Yes, I know Kirksville is a small town. Sounds like MSU or DMU are my best bets right now.

How about COMP? I'm interviewing there next month.

yposhelley said:
Yes, I know Kirksville is a small town. Sounds like MSU or DMU are my best bets right now.

How about COMP? I'm interviewing there next month.

ypo- I know you are starving for information about each of these schools and trying to decide where to attend, but I wouldn't use SDN to make up even 10% of that decision.
Q

I appreciate your concern, but believe me, I'm not going to make a decision about what school to attend based upon what people say around here. However, I do occasionally read intelligent comments and I think I can usually tell when a voice is being objective (or not). What I am interested in is personal experiences with COMP and other schools, and I thought that was one of the reasons for this forum, to ask questions pertaining to medical school.
I don't think its too early to ask questions about the different kinds of residencies they get into from various schools, or about the curriculum, or any other insights. I take everything I hear with a grain of salt-but the comments that I do take seriously are things I like to look into when I interview and tour the school.
I haven't found any other way that is more effective in talking to people from schools all over-and I don't think that school websites can give me objective opinions of students. Since I can't see the people the people who post on SDN, its true that they could all be 8 year old children from Delaware- and I keep that in mind, too, as I read their comments. Thanks- ;) :luck:

there are some dually approved residencies that give you the advantages of both. for instance NH-Dartmouth FP has 2 tracks, a musculoskelatal clinic and teach all residents OMT.

good combos are out there!

Shelly,

Like Quinn I am also DO who is currently training in an allopathic residency program. However, I do not feel that I need to hide, apologize for, or explain my Osteopathic roots. (If I did I would have attended one of the American Allopathic programs that accepted me but this is the path I chose and I don't regret it.) I chose the medical school that I thought would offer me the best opportunities to become a competent clinician if I put in the time and work. My thought process was the same in selecting a residency program. In my specialty I did not feel that Osteopathic programs were as developed and I did think that the majority of them being based at community hospitals would be a detriment.

That said, if I was interested in FP I don't think I would have even looked at Allopathic programs (although technically some of the stronger Osteopathic FP programs are MD/DO combos). If you are not geographically limited you may wish to look at the Wilson Memorial Program in Johnson City, NY. They are a combined program but unlike many combined programs which are MD programs that have taken DOs, liked their DOs and realized they could get more spots if they became AOA training programs their program really is committed to educating Osteopathic FPs and they integrate OMT well. Their DME is a firm believer that your training provides you skills and insight your MD counterparts don't have. I have found things I take for granted because of my Osteopathic training that my colleagues stumble and struggle with so although I'm not as vocal a proud DO I see his point. Good luck with the interview process!

Thank you for your advice. I have looked into some more options in the state (MI) I'm currently living in, and it seems that the osteopathic residencies are very good. The great majority of students do not take the USMLE.
I also discovered the best way to become proficient in OMT in this state is to do CME classes, as there aren't any OMT residencies.

Thanks again everyone.

If you are not geographically limited you may wish to look at the Wilson Memorial Program in Johnson City, NY. They are a combined program but unlike many combined programs which are MD programs that have taken DOs, liked their DOs and realized they could get more spots if they became AOA training programs their program really is committed to educating Osteopathic FPs and they integrate OMT well.

I'm at Wilson right now-great program for DO's (and MD's) OMT is stressed here (not the case in most "DO" hospitals) There are tons of (high quality)lectures...There's also cheap housing accross the street.

Their DME is a firm believer that your training provides you skills and insight your MD counterparts don't have.

:laugh: An allopath flexed his shoulder today and asked me ("since I'm the osteopath") how to properly name this motion (so he could document it correctly on the chart). I'm sure he was just having a brain fart....but your comment above made me laugh.

Q,

I'll disagree on the sharpness of the DO students. From my experience, they usually meet or exceed the clinical skills of the allopathic students. It may be a difference of schools, etc.

I did many elective rotations in allopathic training sites and I am in an allopathic training program with allopathic med students who are very bright but seem to be behind the ball on clinical accumen secondary to their constantly leaving the rotation for lectures (and their patient load is relatively light as well).

So, out of curiousity, what does it take to get an allopathic residency? Do we have to take the USMLE? Also, what if we want to practice in one of those states that requires a rotating internship (like FL)? When and where do we do that?

Thanks for all the help so far!

yposhelley said:

Isn't the OMT philosophy the only reason DO is different from MD? If most DO graduates are attending MD residencies then what is the point in even having DO schools? This only adds to the DO stigma of being the the student who couldn't get accepted to an MD school. If you choose DO .. do a DO residency. Be proud of your choice of career. By the way... does anyone know of the statistics of MD graduates who attend DO residencies?

OzDDS said:
Be proud of your choice of career. By the way... does anyone know of the statistics of MD graduates who attend DO residencies?

I am.

Zero.

Look at the quantity and quality of residencies. Look at the ratio of grads to osteo residencies. Inform yourself.

minime said:
From what I have seen and this is only my experience, but there isn't a lot of OMT that goes on in any residency-even DO residency. If OMT is what you want to do you'll have to look at each program and ask them specifically.

I agree. If you want to go to a residency that is OMT intensive, you have to check it out. Even some of the AOA FP, IM, and Peds residencies don't incorporate OMT into the curriculum beyond lecture. In most of the AOA anesthesiology/surgical specialties it is NOT incorporated because of lack of interest and time restraints.

I was told by one of the OMT experts at Western U that it took him ten years to understand and apply OMT in the right way. Don't misunderstand, he worked very hard, is very intelligent, and OMT is his life's passion. If you are that interested in OMT, do an osteopathic OMT residency. The reasons I went the allopathic route is that the didactics are better, case variety is more diverse, reputation/prestige, ability to do research, desire to train at a major research institution, and superior training.

OzDDS said:
Isn't the OMT philosophy the only reason DO is different from MD? If most DO graduates are attending MD residencies then what is the point in even having DO schools? This only adds to the DO stigma of being the the student who couldn't get accepted to an MD school. If you choose DO .. do a DO residency. Be proud of your choice of career. By the way... does anyone know of the statistics of MD graduates who attend DO residencies?

MD's can not enroll in osteopathic residencies--they are for DO's only.

VentdependenT said:
I am.

Zero.

Look at the quantity and quality of residencies. Look at the ratio of grads to osteo residencies. Inform yourself.
This then seems to be a problem with the AOA.. again.. what is the point of a DO residency that does not incorporate OMT? Isn't that what DO philosphy is? If the AOA doesn't allow MD's do DO residencies. then why should they allow a DO to do an allopathic one? again. To me, just doesnt make sense. Either up the number and quality of DO residencies and practice what you preach and incorporate OMT, allow MD's to matriculate into DO residencies, or if DO schools and the AOA continue to claim be no different than MD's, then make DO schools MD schools. Only seems logical.

OzDDS said:
... allow MD's to matriculate into DO residencies.

Blasphemy! To allow someone to practice the hollowed art of OMT without the proper time investiture required of the rest of us is craziness. :smuggrin: It would seem the AOA would want to increase the number of residency slots to allow for those who wanted a DO residency to get it. But doesn't the AOA make up for this by having the match before the MD match? They get first dibs on their own.

I just think that it is a bit hypocritical for the DO community to fight for years to be equivalent to MDs in every respect and even gain acceptance from the AMA, and to be able to matriculate into allopathic residency training programs, and after all that. Not allow those same MDs to apply to any Osteopathic residencies. Doesn?t seem quite fair.

OzDDS said:
I just think that it is a bit hypocritical for the DO community to fight for years to be equivalent to MDs in every respect and even gain acceptance from the AMA, and to be able to matriculate into allopathic residency training programs, and after all that. Not allow those same MDs to apply to any Osteopathic residencies. Doesn?t seem quite fair.

Isn't it fairly obvious by now that Oz is a troll? We don't even like him on the MD boards. Seriously, how many more anti-DO threads from him will it take before you get it? I'm not even DO and I can see this.

I still don't get why everyone likes to make open personal attacks on people, you don't like what I have to say and want to personally attack me.. Send me a PM. You want to start an open flame war.. go ahead.

I thought I had a legitimate comment to make about residency issues for meds, as well as some general questions. I wasn't trying to bash anyone. Geesh..