Why do they hire such mean people??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docforsure

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Seriously, the majority of people out there answering the main line of the admissions office are so annoyed when you give them a call. Okay, I'm sure you get a thousand calls a day but that's your freaking job.

Especially now, who do they get calls from? People your school interviewed! Do they not realize how hard all of us have had to work to get to where we are right now? If we can wait months just to hear back a decision and still be polite, the least they can do is hire someone who will answer the phone politely.

Down with lame and rude receptionists.

Members don't see this ad.

Stop ****ing whining.

it's not "Thousands of calls", it's "thousands of *****s who can't chill for 5 seconds or look up the address themselves, even though it's on the same page as the one they used to get he phone number".

Stop ****ing whining.

it's not "Thousands of calls", it's "thousands of *****s who can't chill for 5 seconds or look up the address themselves, even though it's on the same page as the one they used to get he phone number".

Did you read what I wrote?

I've been chilling for months. You would imagine that 2.5 months after the interview, a phone call asking about how far along the adcom is in sending out final decisions would illicit at least a calm if not sympathetic response. But apparently that's too much to expect these days.

Members don't see this ad :)

I've been chilling for months. You would imagine that 2.5 months after the interview, a phone call asking about how far along the adcom is in sending out final decisions would illicit at least a calm if not sympathetic response. But apparently that's too much to expect these days.

Just be much more mean and evil in return by saying things like "You are not qualified to be a receptionist, you should be fired, b****". That will teach them a lesson.

do this:

1. tape a squalling baby for thirty seconds
  2. play it at random intervals for fifteen minutes at a time
  3. ???
  4. profit
This is their job.

I wouldn't call till April if I had not heard from them since that is the time that med schools ask people to start making final decisions about matriculating.

Edit: I just realized today is April 1.

Because people are mean, and as they hire people to answer the phones, the people who answer the phones tend to be mean.

It's like asking why only women give birth. They're not women because they give birth, they give birth because they're women. Similarly, those people aren't hired because they're mean, they're mean because they're people.

First of all, you named yourself "docforsure," very smooth.

"but that's your freaking job." -- Lemme guess, you've never had a job before have you? Never been in a management position? The next time you get mad at someone while you're shopping (in person, instead of anonymously posting it on the internet) go ahead and say this very phrase to them, see how they react.

"Do they not realize how hard all of us have had to work to get to where we are right now?" -- This goes right along with your chosen name. Yeah, you've worked really hard to get here, so what? You deserve to be treated politely by all peoples? How dare they give you attitude, right? Don't they know you're gonna be a Doc one day for sure? You worked your butt off, I think you're entitled to a little respect.

"If we can wait months just to hear back a decision and still be polite, the least they can do is hire someone who will answer the phone politely." -- If they have to put up with self-gratifying little college pre-meds who feel it necessary to rant about petty little life problems behind the curtain of their computer screen, the least they can do is be curt with you on the phone... instead of hiding. Why don't you call the office back and tell them how you really feel instead of posting it on SDN?

Down with lame and rude receptionists. -- Just wait till you start working with hospital staff. This kind of "do you know who I am?" attitude will get you no where. I hope the nurses chew you up.

Hmm, I've had nothing but really nice, polite and happy people at my schools admin office. One of the reasons I chose to attend. Not saying this is the reason, but oftentimes a little charm and politeness can illicit a similar response from others.

Meh, sometimes people have bad days.

They could always do better tho.

If you want revenge. Prank call them back... some helpful ideas on what sorta prank calls you can do can be found on utube... i think friday night prank calls is what a certain user/group does.

hahaha
listened to one where he wanted to have a stuffed zapdos... HAHAHA

I believe generally people tend to reflect the vibe you give off, if u're nice and polite, people tend to respond accordingly and vice versa...

Personally I've made hundreds to calls this cycle and I can't think of a time where someone has been impolite/impatient.

Seriously, the majority of people out there answering the main line of the admissions office are so annoyed when you give them a call. Okay, I'm sure you get a thousand calls a day but that's your freaking job.

Especially now, who do they get calls from? People your school interviewed! Do they not realize how hard all of us have had to work to get to where we are right now? If we can wait months just to hear back a decision and still be polite, the least they can do is hire someone who will answer the phone politely.

I think a lot of you are missing the point of what OP is saying. The premise is the caller is polite, and yet the receptionist is quite rude in response.

It can be annoying answering calls but then I do think if it's your job, then you should maintain decorum unless the caller is being contentious. Seems to be like a nice stable job, I don't mind working in admissions.

I have a feeling OP is talking about the school in Cali where the cows moo.

I believe generally people tend to reflect the vibe you give off, if u're nice and polite, people tend to respond accordingly and vice versa...

Personally I've made hundreds to calls this cycle and I can't think of a time where someone has been impolite/impatient.

I made my first call today.

I started with, hey my name is bannie22
may i know your name?

and he wasnt too happy, and he said jim.

but then after that i tink he was a happy guy.

i kept apologiizing and thanking him. cuz i was withdrawing.

haha... i felt sooooo bad.

and at the end he was like. thank you for calling bannie22.

i was like awww.
and i wanted to continue apologizing but i decide di better put the phone down before they think im nuts.
hahaha

Members don't see this ad :)

may i know your name?

i was like awww.
and i wanted to continue apologizing but i decide di better put the phone down before they think im nuts.
hahaha

Bannies back! How was your mental health break?:)

Lemme guess, you've never had a job before have you?
You guessed wrong. I've had many jobs. In fact, I had to work my way through college and unlike the receptionists I've come across (and presumably you) I don't take out my personal shortcomings on other people.

You deserve to be treated politely by all peoples? How dare they give you attitude, right? Don't they know you're gonna be a Doc one day for sure?
Yes, I deserve to be treated politely just like any other civilized person in this world is entitled to. It has nothing to do with feeling self-entitled. If I talk to someone respectfully and politely, I expect the same from them. If they fail to do so, I have every right to express my discontent with them.

Why don't you call the office back and tell them how you really feel instead of posting it on SDN?
Why? Because if I call up the office and tell them "Hey, the person picking up the phone is a total bitch," it will likely not bear positively on my application. You can't always speak the truth to people's faces, self-censorship is an important life skill.

Just wait till you start working with hospital staff.
Again, the hospital staff is not hired to greet people. The receptionist answer phone calls is. If she sucks at her job, she should go elsewhere. As others pointed out, most of them though a wonderful job and are pleasant to talk to. A bunch of them however are not and can be very condescending. If you are going to sit here and defend them, knock yourself out but the truth remains that they are not doing what they are being paid to do.

may i know your name?

i was like awww.
hahaha

Hahaha it's gotta be fun rejecting schools... di u tell them to improve their stats for next yr :smuggrin::laugh::smuggrin:

Clearly you have never had a job, nor do you appreciate anyone else's experience beyond your own. There are many reasons why they aren't cumming all over themselves for a pre-med. .

Where do you go off making judgments about me? You have no idea what I have or haven't done in life. I do not expect anyone to "cum all over themselves" because I'm a pre-med. Maybe you do since you so eloquently put it in a sentence.

All you pre-meds need to stop being little self-righteous, altruistic gods. I am a person and I expect to be treated with respect and kindness the same way I treat others. Even more so from a receptionist because their JOB is to greet people with a smile and respect and direct them where they need to be or give them the information they are looking for without going huff and puff.

I used to work as a bank teller. I had dozens of people come to me each day to deposit $1 and change to their bank account. Trust me, when you've been standing on your feet for 7+ hours and some guy comes to you and throws out all this change for you to count and deposit into their account, you want to scream and tell them to gtfo but I controlled myself. I treated them with a smile and thanked them for coming in.

The least a receptionist can do is be courteous.

P.S. It's not the school in cali where the cows go moo :laugh:

I don't know why a lot of you are harshly criticizing the OP for. If the customer is calling and is being respectful and polite, and a customer service person is being rude, I'm sure all of us will be upset.

It's a bit of a different story with admissions office though. The caller is at their mercy, so the caller will hold his/her tongue for the fear of retribution.

At worst, the OP is just blowing off some steam and there's no need for you guys to be overreacting. I don't ever believe taking my problems and anger out on someone else totally irrelevant. If the receptionist is feeling peevish at the moment, the receptionist should just not answer and chill a bit.

P.S. It's not the school in cali where the cows go moo :laugh:

Okay, I just thought maybe it is since I've been following that thread and I've seen you there. Just felt like guessing.

I don't know why a lot of you are harshly criticizing the OP for. If the customer is calling and is being respectful and polite, and a customer service person is being rude, I'm sure all of us will be upset.

It's a bit of a different story with admissions office though. The caller is at their mercy, so the caller will hold his/her tongue for the fear of retribution.

At worst, the OP is just blowing off some steam and there's no need for you guys to be overreacting. I don't ever believe taking my problems and anger out on someone else totally irrelevant. If the receptionist is feeling peevish at the moment, the receptionist should just not answer and chill a bit.

Thank you!! Seriously, I wanna get some stuff off of my chest and I think maybe some people on here would relate to me and I'd feel better but instead I get attacked for it! WTF??

And what's so wrong about being proud that you're going to be a doctor. I'm damn proud. This was my goal in life and I've realized it. If that's not something I should feel good about then I don't know what is.

Okay, I just thought maybe it is since I've been following that thread and I've seen you there. Just felt like guessing.

Haha, I called there but got an answering machine so just left a voicemail and they emailed me back the next day with my answer. Much better experience. :)

Haha, I called there but got an answering machine so just left a voicemail and they emailed me back the next day with my answer. Much better experience. :)

Oh really, sounds like really good service. Odd some people on the thread said the people who answered get annoyed and only if the process is more transparent.

Congrats on getting into med school! I'm still hoping for my first acceptance. Don't want to hit the MCAT just yet.

Hahaha it's gotta be fun rejecting schools... di u tell them to improve their stats for next yr :smuggrin::laugh::smuggrin:

No, I did say I hoped I would get a chance to interview there for residency in the future...
=/

Haha... I am not YET good enough to crack such crazy jokes :p

I used to work as a bank teller. I had dozens of people come to me each day to deposit $1 and change to their bank account. Trust me, when you've been standing on your feet for 7+ hours and some guy comes to you and throws out all this change for you to count and deposit into their account, you want to scream and tell them to gtfo but I controlled myself. I treated them with a smile and thanked them for coming in.

The least a receptionist can do is be courteous.
Fake smiles aren't always bad, I guess.

It's not about YOU. It's about all the calls they have to deal with.

Stop being so self-centered. You're an applicant, not a customer.

Hey, I can relate to you docforsure.

I once called the admin office of a med school to probe the status of my application. The lady who picked up the phone just had this really pissed off tone to her voice before I even spoke. My instincts told me to just hang up and run, but I proceeded really cautiously to inquire about my app status. "Last name, AMCAS ID!" she barked. I told her those, then with a really dark voice, she said "Ok. You will hear back from us within two weeks". I thanked her and the conversation ended.

A few days later, I got a rejection letter from that school. :thumbdown:

But when everything is over and you get into med school, **** like this is almost funny when you look back on it. You can almost imagine that poor receptionist getting bombarded with phone calls every minute: the moment she enters her office -RIIIING-, when she gets up to grab a coffee -RIIIIING-, when she's peeing in the restroom -RIIIIING-, all the while, she's probably thinking, this is not the kind of job I signed up for!!

Lol, if you really want revenge, you just got it by calling her.

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience, OP. There are some admissions offices that are amazing and will do what they can to help you. There are others who are very short on the phone. And then, sometimes there's even people who come off the wrong way in one instance because something bad just happened to them. If it happens at the same place repeatedly, it's a problem. Otherwise, I'd just guess that it was a bad day and give the receptionist a bit of a break.

I had a bad experience with one admissions office, and now that the cycle is over, I really think it's the people in the office that made the experience worse. They didn't seem all that organized and everything to boot.

+pity+ How would you like to answer whiny applicants' phone calls all day?

I am a person and I expect to be treated with respect and kindness the same way I treat others.

I'm not sure you'd appreciate if someone said the things you said below. Those statements are far from respectful and kind.

Hubris is not flattering, and it often suggests the presence of poor self insight.

And what's so wrong about being proud that you're going to be a doctor. I'm damn proud. This was my goal in life and I've realized it. If that's not something I should feel good about then I don't know what is.

If you complete your training and become a physician, I am sure that will be an accomplishment, but right now you are putting the cart before the horse.

Yeah did you see the response I got for just that much? God forbid i had said something more..

You do realize that the have other responsibilities than just answering the questions of paranoid, entitled premeds, such as yourself?

I never once called a med school during my app cycle. I really do not understand why people do it.

I sympathize with you, OP. I've had to deal with some pretty nasty receptionists/secretaries as well. Not as an applicant; just in various daily situations. Some of them are just mean for no reason. I get sad when they're mean to me, because I always try my utmost to be polite. :(

Just be much more mean and evil in return by saying things like "You are not qualified to be a receptionist, you should be fired, b****". That will teach them a lesson.

Well, that's certainly one way of getting a quick decision made on your file.

I hope all of you who are bashing docforsure realize you too will be doctors, and will someday have to treat your own patients with respect. You can't be rude to your patients, and tell them this is not customer service. If I was director of a medical school or any business, I would not look to hire rude and egocentric receptionist. We spend thousands to apply and perhaps over $200,000 to attend medical school so we can contribute to society in a positive way. I'm sorry, but I disagree with anyone who thinks that a polite receptionist is asking for too much.

I think they add the note "prick" or "not suitable" on the file after they asked for your name. :eek: DocForSure, you'll surely receive a rejection from that school. Watch my words. :rolleyes:

By the way, if you ever get to practice medicine, don't ever hope to be that arrogant with your patients, staff (including receptionist!) or colleagues -- they'll sue you for it. :laugh:

You can't be rude to your patients, and tell them this is not customer service.

You're right, because the basic doctor patient relationship is essentially customer service.

Put yourself in their shoes.... in a way. You are an M3 student checking up on a patient who asks you if the results of the biospy are back yet. You have access to the patient's record, and you have seen the results -- the biospy is positive and the prognosis is grim -- but it isn't your place to tell the patient, that has to be handled by an attending. You also feel a little uncomfortable to have the patient asking you, it is understandable that they should ask (just as I understand why you phone the med admissions office) but you (or the receptionist) isn't at liberty to give you the bad news and there is a feeling of discomfort knowing the news before the person about which it pertains knows it and yet not being able to disclose it (but at the same time, not being able to disclose it is a comfort because delivering bad news is emotionally draining).

It's not about YOU. It's about all the calls they have to deal with.

Stop being so self-centered. You're an applicant, not a customer.

+pity+ How would you like to answer whiny applicants' phone calls all day?

Are you serious? Regardless of whether people are whiny or not, your job is to answer their calls. You get paid to answer their calls. If you find it frustrating get another job. Seriously, I've never encountered this but it shouldn't matter. There's no reason people should treat each other discourteously, especially if you are in a service role.

I'm also sick of us always tearing each other down on this forum and never even trying to level with the OP. I don't know if it's competitiveness or what but it's so tiring to watch over and over again. Support each other.

/rant

I hope all of you who are bashing docforsure realize you too will be doctors, and will someday have to treat your own patients with respect. You can't be rude to your patients, and tell them this is not customer service.

You (and the OP) are missing the point.

Treating your pt. with respect is a given (I'd hope), though part of that includes not passing judgment on someone else. The reported attitude of the receptionist probably wasn't ideal, but it will pale in comparison to what you'll see in a hospital with a disgruntled/intoxicated/psychotically florid pt. The OPs reaction to being "slighted" is the area of concern, and not how the receptionist acted. Hopefully he'll grow up some in med school and gain some more insight into how he views and reacts to the world, because there are far greater challenges he'll face. It can be hard to not judge and to find empathy for someone in a tough situation, but you can't let personal feelings impact professional interactions. It sounds like he was able to resolve his situation without incident, but the judgment piece could cause problems for him later.

If I was director of a medical school or any business, I would not look to hire rude and egocentric receptionist. We spend thousands to apply and perhaps over $200,000 to attend medical school so we can contribute to society in a positive way. I'm sorry, but I disagree with anyone who thinks that a polite receptionist is asking for too much.

Being rude and egocentric does not only negatively impact the hiring chances of a receptionist.....

Last edited:
receptionists should, like all professionals, act professionally, whether they are personally annoyed or not. how many of the same calls they field is besides the point

I've worked in call centers for 5+ years. You probably got what you deserved :thumbup:

Pre-meds can be pretty over-bearing and neurotic... in fact, let me revise that statement.. pre-meds are over-bearing and neurotic. You'd get pissy too if you had to put up with their crap all day. I would love for one of these receptionists to get on this here forum and just let loose and list some of the ridiculous questions they get.

Remember, OP, even if you were courteous (kinda doubt it given your posts) she/he might have just dealt with 5 idiotic and rude callers.

Also, why do you care? Th attitude of the person fielding calls really has no relationship to the quality of the med school. So just suck it up.