why do we want to be physicians?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pag

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sometimes I wonder why people want to become physicians. What makes a person go to the elaborate and cumpulsive extents they do just to carry the suffux after their name. And the excuse (if you will), to help people, just doen't cut it for me. It seems a lot of people volenteer simply because its exspected of them in the application process. You can be a police officer, a nurse, EMT, work in a food bank, firefighter ect. and help people. And I'm willing to bet that nurses, more often than not, have more patient contact than doctors do. So what is it? The prestige, money, honor, reputation, knowledge. Is it some excessive compulsive way which we can prove ourselves. Why does everyone here want to become physicians? For me I don't know, but I do know my roots about becoming a physician are sincere and deep to the core. However, I can't say that its soley because I want to help people.
I'm interested in hearing about why some of you decided to delve into the medical profession or persue it?
(please excuse my grammer/spelling!!!)
PAG

------------------

Anthony

Members don't see this ad.

What's up, Anthony?

First of all, this is a "student doctor" site, so its assumed most of the time that people entering this page are majority pre-meds, med students, or physicians (sorry if I left anyone out).

Why do most people enter medicine? Again, a million dollar question that only every unique individual can answer for themselves. The same ques as to why someone wanted to become a fireman, nurse, accountant, lawyer, etc..? Hopefully, it was their "calling" or "niche" to who they really are as an individual. Yes, it may be sad that some people who delve into medicine with the only intent is to "help people" and nothing more can be confusing. You can also do that with other professions as well. Its like asking someone why they wanted to become a pediatrician and their response is, "because I like children". You know as well as I do that becoming a Pediatrician entails more than that (how do they feel when a child is very ill? Can they handle being around sick kids?)

To answer your question directly, its the LOVE for medicine that brought me into this field. I was a Medical Tech working in the lab diagnosing blood, urine, etc.. to try and help doctors & patients figure out why they feel the way they do. Like many others as well as myself, I just didn't see that as my sole purpose in life.....so I investigated medicine & AM LOVING IT
smile.gif
Yes, its a lot of hard work, but the DESIRE & PASSION are there. Thats the way it should be for every individual when they decide to pursue a dream.

Remember you only have one life to live & part of growing up is to "find yourself" as a person. Hopefully, we all don't have any REGRETs in our lives when we are lying in death beds. Its your life-Make it count!!!

Rob
WesternU/COMP Class of 2002

Fat guys need lovin' too.

Hello,

I hope knowone is taking this question the wrong way. After reading it again I realize the question could be read the wrong way and seem aggressive and I have/had no intent on attacking anyone's reasons of why they want(ed) to become physicians. My purpose is to find what drives others to become physicians aside from the mundane. God knows we all have our own agenda.
I liked your response Rob and I hope you didn't feel offended in my asking. And I think your right that if someone can find something that makes them happy with no regrets, then they are fortunate. If being a physician happens to meet there needs better than other professions, wonderful. It's great to see motivated people working towards a dream. And I agree that its fare to say that anyone spending any measureable amount of time on the studentdoctor network clearly wants to become or are physicians.
Again, thanks for the response ROB!

And rowerman fat people do need some lovin too.