Why do you think current M4s aren’t heeding the warnings of Anesthesia being “dead”?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CidHighwind

Reaction score
I’ve heard from the PD at my school that significantly more students are applying to anesthesia than in previous years, and that they’re a lot more 250s/AOA caliber students applying as well. It seems like no matter how many rights midlevels get, or how many times people here try to warn students not to go into anesthesia, more and more people are gunning for it.

Members don't see this ad.

I’ve heard from the PD at my school that significantly more students are applying to anesthesia than in previous years, and that they’re a lot more 250s/AOA caliber students applying as well. It seems like no matter how many rights midlevels get, or how many times people here try to warn students not to go into anesthesia, more and more people are gunning for it.
Because the other non-uber competitive specialties suck for a variety of reasons compared to even the worst case anesthesiology scenario.

Reactions: 21 users

the problem with the future isn't with anesthesia, it's with medicine in general

Reactions: 35 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ive noticed a lot more people jumping ship from surgery and surgical subspecialties to join anesthesia. I know it's a common thing, but I think it's happening more and more as "lifestyle" is more important to people now

Reactions: 1 users
Anesthesia seemed to fluctuate alot year to year in terms of MS4 interest. Medicine in general sucks but I mean if youre gonna do it you might as well do something that isnt going to kill your soul in the process.

Ive noticed a lot more people jumping ship from surgery and surgical subspecialties to join anesthesia. I know it's a common thing, but I think it's happening more and more as "lifestyle" is more important to people now

Absolutely, it's at least 10:1 the number transferring IN from surgery rather than transferring OUT into surgery.

Anesthesiology isn't "dead" - there was a time in the 1990s where it was in some serious trouble but now certainly aint it. In fact, EM faces the exact same issues we do and is on par competitiveness-wise - those issues being out of network billing, midlevel encroachment/increasing supervisory ratios (only for them they get heat from BOTH PAs and NPs...), declining reimbursement and hospital administrative pressure.

When I was in residency our applicant pool became more and more competitive each year, it was wild and from what I understand that trend has continued since I left.

Is it a perfect environment? Of course not, nothing really is. But it could certainly be a lot worse, and we have to stay on our toes to make sure we keep up with internal and external threats. The rest of medicine has been completely asleep at the wheel about this wasting time on population insurance rates (see: the AMA which I will never give another dime to). One runs into an order of magnitude more negativity about the specialty here on SDN than in real life discussions.

Reactions: 7 users
People are following their dreams despite the naysayers. They will be happy with their decision.

The sky isn't falling.

Reactions: 12 users

Well. In my class, those of us who went straight into pp all seem to have landed in our preferred private practices in the locations we wanted. We also had groups emailing our program directors looking to recruit to competitive groups into competitive locations. In my group of friends at other programs, none of us had trouble finding practices. The talk amongst those of us going into private practice was that the market was hot right now. Additionally, we had a high number of attendings leaving for competitive groups locally and in other desirable areas. People shrugged it off and said “good people leave good places.” In fact, i think a more common issue last year than getting an interview or an offer was getting caught off guard that groups wanted responses to their offers quicker than would allow you to interview at other groups to fully evaluate alternatives. Gotta figure out what you want, network early, and do your homework. I’m not sure why the market all of the sudden isn’t hot?

So far my Md only group has been as advertised. Even had a GI doc the other day recommend anesthesia to their student

Sooooo?

Reactions: 1 user
Because the other non-uber competitive specialties suck for a variety of reasons compared to even the worst case anesthesiology scenario.

This is true. A lot of people were going into EM a year or so ago, but I think people see how the over expansion of residencies, inevitable decreased salary, and lack of “exit plans” and are thinking of other specialties. IM has always been bad but people want those fellowships. I hear psych is ridiculous this year. I wonder if other specialties will “follow suite” and change the way they practice to be more lifestyle friendly, but that’s unlikely.

I was hoping people would continue to think AI would take radiologists jobs for this year, but it seems like rads is competitive again.

To answer your question in the title: because little kids have always put their hands in the fire, despite being warned that it burns.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
Sorry but I see gigs on gasworks for 500k in small hospitals with 5 ors that must only be capable of lap choles and sections. That's more we get looking after failing fontans and vads... Yere grand.

As a medical student I hated the hierarchical aspect of medical school's clinical years, but appreciated path, phys, pharm as well as things procedural. Anesthesia, at the time, seemed a much better fit than being an IM note jockey or a surgical chimp for 5-7. Actually, I recall everything being terrible third year of medical school -- IM, surgery, peds, OB, psych, neuro -- except for family medicine because the attendings, residents treated you with some level of respect.

All that stuff is mostly true. Now, as a CA-2 I would argue that I not only see a more varied and acute mix of pathology than any other resident in the hospital, I am also asked to manage that pathology with more autonomy than any other non-chief resident. Recent grads from my program are getting very good jobs (>400k) at MD only practices and matching into their fellowships of choice at other highly reputed places.

I look at anesthesia as medicine for people who want to use their hands but don't want to write extensive notes and round for the rest of their careers.
Surgical residents do an inordinate amount of watching, scut work and get $h!t on much harder.

There are things I definitely don't like about anesthesia. Lame surgeons. Techs not helping with room turnovers. Nursing as a practice, ethos and political movement. That said things could be a lot worse, guys.

The only other thing I would really have tried to do in medicine is interventional cards. That takes around 8 years.

I will concede that I should have gone to the NBA, however. I think I needed about 5 more inches and a stronger work ethic in HS.

Last edited:
Reactions: 14 users
Because it isn't "dead" and with the right practice is the best field of medicine. Key phrase: "right practice".

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)

First, Anesthesiology is not very competitive to Match somewhere. That means many medical students can consider it.

Second, there will always be Med students with high step scores who choose Anesthesiology because they think it is the right fit for them.
I hope those individuals Match and top programs, do fellowships and become leaders in the field.

Third, there will always be Med Students who evaluate al their choices and come away with a dislike of most everything. They then pick Anesthesiology as the field they dislike the least.

As for being a “dead” specialty there are tons of jobs open out there. I’m not aware of a high unemployment rate among Anesthesiologists in the USA. While there are likely better choices imho for those with a step of 260 there aren’t many choices better with a step of 220. Realistically, based on the pool of applicants for all Match positions Anesthesiology will have no problems filling its positions.

Reactions: 11 users
Here are some things I pulled up with some research:

Automation doesn't look like it happening any time soon [https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-robot-intended-to-replace-anesthesiologists/]

Job outlook is high [Anesthesiology career guide: qualifications, job outlook & salaries] / [Anesthesiologist Ranks Among Best Jobs of 2019]

CNRA's have been around for > 60 years yet Anesthesiologist have had increasing salaries and job growth. Also it seems the only states that op-out of CNRA's needing supervision are the ones that just do not have enough MD/DO's to go around [States That Allow CRNAs to Practice Independently]

Sallary is high ~370K -420K depending on how you are employed [Medscape: Medscape Access]

Here are some things I pulled up with some research:

Automation doesn't look like it happening any time soon [https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-robot-intended-to-replace-anesthesiologists/]

Job outlook is high [Anesthesiology career guide: qualifications, job outlook & salaries] / [Anesthesiologist Ranks Among Best Jobs of 2019]

CNRA's have been around for > 60 years yet Anesthesiologist have had increasing salaries and job growth. Also it seems the only states that op-out of CNRA's needing supervision are the ones that just do not have enough MD/DO's to go around [States That Allow CRNAs to Practice Independently]

Sallary is high ~370K -420K depending on how you are employed [Medscape: Medscape Access]

Then why do most posters on here act like the sky is falling and that going into anesthesia was the worst decision of their life? You’d think that with what some people are saying on here.

Then why do most posters on here act like the sky is falling and that going into anesthesia was the worst decision of their life? You’d think that with what some people are saying on here.

I wish I knew. I was thinking gas would be dead too then I realized those threads where from ~2009 and a decade later gas docs are making more and in more demand.

Because things are changing, but there are people who are just generally pessimistic. Many factors can lead to that pessimism. From my own observation, you either are happy in a fair private practice that pays well (we all have our own definition of well) or you work in academia and are active in the professional societies. I think people who fall into those categories complain the least because the job provides some sort of fulfillment, whether it's financial/lifestyle or academic. Otherwise, a job is nothing but work and most people hate their jobs, in general.

With regard to medicine, I think most will be happiest doing a lot of what they like to do and very little of what they hate doing. Think surgeons. More operating and less clinic/scut work is generally a happy surgeon.I would argue that from an anesthesiology standpoint we want to be sitting in the OR doing our own cases with asleep patients and that's when we're the happiest. Read a lot of what @BLADEMDA says. Longevity in this field is likely best achieved with a top residency, fellowship, and working in academics and being active in the societies. Otherwise, you have to find a fair private practice and hopefully one that allows you to sleep in your own bed on-call.

Also, yes, there are some pretty bad predatory AMCs out there, but at this point that's just life, and quite frankly they survive because there's always a doc that needs to live somewhere in particular for whatever reason. Working for a bad company will inevitably make you an unhappy person especially when the grass seems greener elsewhere. Sometimes it is greener but many times it's the same color or even browner than where you are currently.

possibly true.....I've never supervised. there are some days (with particular surgeons/patients) I wish I did

I'm joking, dude. I supervise and find it mind numbing. Theres no better day for me than doing a heart or other bigger case with a fresh resident since I actually get to do anesthesia those days.

you have no idea how many medical students have no clue what anesthesiology is like beyond what they experienced during their rotation. its probably around 99% of them. they did a rotation sometime in 3rd/4th year, and remembered it as being chill, 'fun', and good hours, without realizing that that rotation is no where representative of real life work for most anesthesiologists out there.

Reactions: 4 users

anesthesiology residency is more compatible with lifestyle than surgery residency for sure. once you go out to practice, anesthesiology is not a lifestyle specialty. i'm unclear as to how much the # of transfers into anesthesiology has increased or if at all.

Anesthesia seemed to fluctuate alot year to year in terms of MS4 interest. Medicine in general sucks but I mean if youre gonna do it you might as well do something that isnt going to kill your soul in the process.

i mean that applies to anything. some people thinks anesthesiology is soul sucking. medicine is still by far the most popular residency.. obviously. lots of good /high paying fellowship options. PLUS even without fellowship, hospitalists can get 300k working 7 on 7 off. pretty sweet gig for many people out there

Well. In my class, those of us who went straight into pp all seem to have landed in our preferred private practices in the locations we wanted. We also had groups emailing our program directors looking to recruit to competitive groups into competitive locations. In my group of friends at other programs, none of us had trouble finding practices. The talk amongst those of us going into private practice was that the market was hot right now. Additionally, we had a high number of attendings leaving for competitive groups locally and in other desirable areas. People shrugged it off and said “good people leave good places.” In fact, i think a more common issue last year than getting an interview or an offer was getting caught off guard that groups wanted responses to their offers quicker than would allow you to interview at other groups to fully evaluate alternatives. Gotta figure out what you want, network early, and do your homework. I’m not sure why the market all of the sudden isn’t hot?

So far my Md only group has been as advertised. Even had a GI doc the other day recommend anesthesia to their student

Sooooo?

the GI's recommendation is worth as much to me as a medical students. The GI doc has no idea what we do and think all we do is push propofol and go on our phones while they do the real work.

There are a lot of jobs right now, but the quality of jobs hasnt gone up compared to in the past (better than recent years, but overall still not as good as past). Dont know where you are , but here when residents tell me they are going into private practice, it means 90% of the time they are going to work for AMC, whil the other 10% is some private group that no longer offers partnership track, or offers 4-5 year tracks.

you have no idea how many medical students have no clue what anesthesiology is like beyond what they experienced during their rotation. its probably around 99% of them. they did a rotation sometime in 3rd/4th year, and remembered it as being chill, 'fun', and good hours, without realizing that that rotation is no where representative of real life work for most anesthesiologists out there.

Eh, you could probably say that for a lot (most?) of specialties out there. How many medical students pick up the phone and start haggling with insurance companies so they'd cover X medication or Y surgery or Z imaging? I always encourage students to speak to staff, not residents, about their perspectives of a given field.

anesthesiology residency is more compatible with lifestyle than surgery residency for sure. once you go out to practice, anesthesiology is not a lifestyle specialty. i'm unclear as to how much the # of transfers into anesthesiology has increased or if at all.

Just like anything else it depends. Are there people out there working less and making more doing something different? Of course, but that's true for every person out there not named Jeff Bezos. But subjectively I work less and make about the same as most of my surgical colleagues with the added bonus that when I get home I don't have to worry about ER consults, calls from my NP about chest tube output, a resident letting me know a patient needs to be opened up for an uncontrolled bleed, or a patient calling because they ran out of Percocet and can't deal with the pain. I don't have to hoof it to PCPs or ERs looking for consults to fill my clinic to so I can cover my overhead. I have a good home life and generally enjoy work - that's more than a lot of the population in this country. My neurosurgeon neighbor growing up absolutely killed it doing spines and what not, but he was a miserable dude with 3 ex wives and allimony/child support payments that kept him working well into his 70s - he was the first to say he wished he had never done surgery when I saw him a few years ago and was envious of my career choice.

PLUS even without fellowship, hospitalists can get 300k working 7 on 7 off. pretty sweet gig for many people out there

That is a great gig! But our hospital-employed hospitalists start at 150K (not including benefits). I saw a little higher in training, but I am sure this is regional. Still get 7 on 7 off, though. But you have to be a hospitalist and do dispo all the time.

This is true. A lot of people were going into EM a year or so ago, but I think people see how the over expansion of residencies, inevitable decreased salary, and lack of “exit plans” and are thinking of other specialties. IM has always been bad but people want those fellowships. I hear psych is ridiculous this year. I wonder if other specialties will “follow suite” and change the way they practice to be more lifestyle friendly, but that’s unlikely.

I was hoping people would continue to think AI would take radiologists jobs for this year, but it seems like rads is competitive again.

Pretty crazy what is happening with radiology, Their salaries are skyrocketing compared to before. Median is now ~500k , which is probably the highest non procedural field out there.

Eh, you could probably say that for a lot (most?) of specialties out there. How many medical students pick up the phone and start haggling with insurance companies so they'd cover X medication or Y surgery or Z imaging? I always encourage students to speak to staff, not residents, about their perspectives of a given field.

Just like anything else it depends. Are there people out there working less and making more doing something different? Of course, but that's true for every person out there not named Jeff Bezos. But subjectively I work less and make about the same as most of my surgical colleagues with the added bonus that when I get home I don't have to worry about ER consults, calls from my NP about chest tube output, a resident letting me know a patient needs to be opened up for an uncontrolled bleed, or a patient calling because they ran out of Percocet and can't deal with the pain. I don't have to hoof it to PCPs or ERs looking for consults to fill my clinic to so I can cover my overhead. I have a good home life and generally enjoy work - that's more than a lot of the population in this country. My neurosurgeon neighbor growing up absolutely killed it doing spines and what not, but he was a miserable dude with 3 ex wives and allimony/child support payments that kept him working well into his 70s - he was the first to say he wished he had never done surgery when I saw him a few years ago and was envious of my career choice.

That is a great gig! But our hospital-employed hospitalists start at 150K (not including benefits). I saw a little higher in training, but I am sure this is regional. Still get 7 on 7 off, though. But you have to be a hospitalist and do dispo all the time.

My statement about med students knowing nothing is me saying more med students going into something doesn't mean the field is getting better, or is a good field necessarily.

In my area, there is a surgeon on call, just like anesthesiologist on call, and the on call person takes care of that stuff. Not sure about private practice surgeons since im academic

Last edited:
but here when residents tell me they are going into private practice, it means 90% of the time they are going to work for AMC, whil the other 10% is some private group that no longer offers partnership track, or offers 4-5 year tracks.

You really need to move.

Reactions: 5 users
Pretty crazy what is happening with radiology, Their salaries are skyrocketing compared to before. Median is now ~500k , which is probably the highest non procedural field out there.

It’s a bit more if you live in a tier 2 or less city.

If you’re talking about MGMA, the median for anesthesia is ~460....not a big difference.

Last edited:

Radiology can be very procedural depending on subspecialty, and that's not including IR. Radiology job market is VERY good right now.

You really need to move.

I wonder if the program director gets referral bonuses from AMCs when their graduates get recruited. This could incentivize them to not offer the complete truth regarding the job market.

Or they have no idea what's available outside of AMCs.

It’s a bit more if you live in a tier 2 or less city.

Yea i was surprised. Last time i looked at radiology was in medical school.. then i recently heard some new rad grads with offers 500-600k starting and was surprised.

If you’re talking about MGMA, the median for anesthesia is ~460....not a big difference.

It was an article i read.. possibly outdated now.. it was the 2017 AMGA data, with radiology at 500 median and anes 415.. so 85k difference per AMGA. Not sure what the 2019 data is but from what i hear rads salary has been going up the past few years so wont be surprised if its higher..

Radiology can be very procedural depending on subspecialty, and that's not including IR. Radiology job market is VERY good right now.

honestly not that sure what happened to quickly go from doom/gloom and everyone needing fellowships to land a job.. to many jobs + high salaries, in such a short time. it's not like radiology had THAT many unfilled spots in those years AFTER soap.. or are people suddenly just ordering a ton of images?

honestly not that sure what happened to quickly go from doom/gloom and everyone needing fellowships to land a job.. to many jobs + high salaries, in such a short time. it's not like radiology had THAT many unfilled spots in those years AFTER soap.. or are people suddenly just ordering a ton of images?
My guess: as younger docs who ordered more exams continue to teach more residents to order more exams, exams will increase exponentially.

On top of that, the older the population, the more exams needed.

I don't know but seems like a lot of attendings, especially in ED will order the imaging test before even doing a physical exam. Browsing the rads forums seems like everyone is doing very well. Some shift jobs 7 on 7 off still get paid 500K+, but they're proly WORKING the entire time as oppose to having periodic breaks like in anestheisa.

I don’t think rads is as sweet a deal as it was say in 2007. 400K? That’s been the starting salary for the last 10 years.

Real......Talk

I don't know but seems like a lot of attendings, especially in ED will order the imaging test before even doing a physical exam. Browsing the rads forums seems like everyone is doing very well. Some shift jobs 7 on 7 off still get paid 500K+, but they're proly WORKING the entire time as oppose to having periodic breaks like in anestheisa.

Imagine spending every minute of interpreting an exam focusing all your brain power, knowing a bad call can screw a patient over, but also screw you over for failure to diagnose.

Do that every day, for the rest of your career. I don't have the mental stamina.

But I do have the physical stamina to be in an ASA 4E major vascular disaster for 8 hours.

I don't know, hard to compare, but I feel like I'm geared more towards the intensive procedure than the mental marathon.

Reactions: 6 users

I’m sure over-imaging is a factor but I would also guess, and I’m just guessing, that maybe some rule changes have necessitated radiologists being on US soil to do reads. Now that’s just a guess. We all know medicine is changing and I’m sure radiology isn’t immune. I remember when Nighthawk was the big thing about being able to “read films anywhere” and then I believe you had to be in a US state to do Nighthawk. It wouldnt be shocked if there’s more strict rules now.

Yea i was surprised. Last time i looked at radiology was in medical school.. then i recently heard some new rad grads with offers 500-600k starting and was surprised.

It was an article i read.. possibly outdated now.. it was the 2017 AMGA data, with radiology at 500 median and anes 415.. so 85k difference per AMGA. Not sure what the 2019 data is but from what i hear rads salary has been going up the past few years so wont be surprised if its higher..

Maybe they’re just getting more accurate in reporting. Psych on there still makes less than 300k, but I’ve heard starting offers closer to 350, 500k for child psych.

Imagine spending every minute of interpreting an exam focusing all your brain power, knowing a bad call can screw a patient over, but also screw you over for failure to diagnose.

Do that every day, for the rest of your career. I don't have the mental stamina.

But I do have the physical stamina to be in an ASA 4E major vascular disaster for 8 hours.

I don't know, hard to compare, but I feel like I'm geared more towards the intensive procedure than the mental marathon.
Also fellowships are almost a requirement for Radiology 6 years vs 4 years residency in ANES

The only benefit to radiology that i can see is that youre shielded from surgeon bs in the OR. During my radiology rotation in med school, surgeons actually came to the reading rm for questions and asking for help with images,

• Haha
I’m sure over-imaging is a factor but I would also guess, and I’m just guessing, that maybe some rule changes have necessitated radiologists being on US soil to do reads. Now that’s just a guess. We all know medicine is changing and I’m sure radiology isn’t immune. I remember when Nighthawk was the big thing about being able to “read films anywhere” and then I believe you had to be in a US state to do Nighthawk. It wouldnt be shocked if there’s more strict rules now.

I was recently talking with a Radiologist who used to work remotely in Europe reading films for a hospital he previously worked at in the US. He said Medicare/Medicaid changed their rules and made it so he was unable to do this. Not sure of the details, but I think Twiggidy is right that these rules have changed and perhaps had an effect on the market domestically.

I was recently talking with a Radiologist who used to work remotely in Europe reading films for a hospital he previously worked at in the US. He said Medicare/Medicaid changed their rules and made it so he was unable to do this. Not sure of the details, but I think Twiggidy is right that these rules have changed and perhaps had an effect on the market domestically.
I remember watching a House Hunters International where a woman was doing telemedicine from Paris and was buying a 2 million dollar home in the Marais. I literally said outload, “I hate this woman“ but I’m willing to gamble she had to either move back to the US to work or they stayed and are living off her husband’s salary in France.

I thought something had changed! When I was an intern on night float it was very difficult to get ahold of the Radiologist as the Nighthawk person was in New Zealand or Australia.

If you think hospitals are looking to cut out how much they pay anesthesia, you'd better believe the Radiology is right up there and above on that list.

We aren't heeding washed up old crusty anesthesiologists' garbage opinion on this because we don't listen to the HATERS AND LOSERS!