Why do you want to attend School X?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Springs01

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Doing some of my supplemental essays now (which are a pain!) and a some of the schools ask why do you want to attend school so-and-so.

Can anyone please tell me if I should include the following reason: The location is great.

My wording is a lot better in the real essay lol. I wrote about the major things I like about the schools itself and the programs. And then in the end for one school (BU) I wrote about how the location was great. Boston is pretty awesome.

But I don't want to the adcoms to think that I'm only applying just to be in boston, which is not true at all.

What should I do? Keep or delete that sentence?
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I always saw that question as more of a test of do you actually know anything about their program. Adcoms aren't stupid, they know we apply to lots of schools, they know that for many people who applied they probably aren't their first choice school.

Write about what you like about the school which can include location, but be sure there is more than location.

On UCLA's I wrote... (let me look it up)

"UCLA is one of the most research oriented dental schools in the United States with a thriving ASDA chapter, amazing faculty and it is surrounded by Brentwood, Beverly Hills, and Bel Air. It simply cannot be beat."

So, I did include how much I liked the area.... (surfing and hiking were mentioned in that paragraph as well).

I also wrote at the bottom, "If you are looking for someone that can throw a mean Cinco De Mayo party, then I'm your guy!"

... So, I'm pretty sure you can write WHATEVER the heck you want. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
LOL I would like to be invited to your Cinco de Mayo party!

haha Jawsss. Thanks. And congrats on the acceptance to UCLA!! :) you seem like you really wanted to go there

On UCLA's I wrote... (let me look it up)

"UCLA is one of the most research oriented dental schools in the United States with a thriving ASDA chapter, amazing faculty and it is surrounded by Brentwood, Beverly Hills, and Bel Air. It simply cannot be beat."

So, I did include how much I liked the area.... (surfing and hiking were mentioned in that paragraph as well).

I also wrote at the bottom, "If you are looking for someone that can throw a mean Cinco De Mayo party, then I'm your guy!"

... So, I'm pretty sure you can write WHATEVER the heck you want. :laugh:

Seriously? You are fearless.

Will u b my life coach?

:)

Yeah, it was my number one choice.... I remember writing my secondary and thinking, "meh, they are NEVER going to read this"

At the end of my interview my interviewer said "So, If you get accepted, I am expecting a MEAN Cinco De Mayo party, haha"

:eek:

Yeah, it was my number one choice.... I remember writing my secondary and thinking, "meh, they are NEVER going to read this"

At the end of my interview my interviewer said "So, If you get accepted, I am expecting a MEAN Cinco De Mayo party, haha"

:eek:

haha too funny!