Why do you Want to be a Dentist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RozhonDDS

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have some interviews coming up very soon, and i have many thoughts running through my mind about how to go about answering this question, whether it is interaction with patients, the speciality of dentistry, the lifestyle, etc. I was wondering if students on SDN could give me some input of what they might have used during their interviews for the question, Why Dentistry? the interview I have isn't for admittance into a dental school, but instead for my pre-health professional committee letter of recommendation
Thank you and i look forward to reading your responses! :D

Members don't see this ad.

RozhonDDS said:
I have some interviews coming up very soon, and i have many thoughts running through my mind about how to go about answering this question, whether it is interaction with patients, the speciality of dentistry, the lifestyle, etc. I was wondering if students on SDN could give me some input of what they might have used during their interviews for the question, Why Dentistry? the interview I have isn't for admittance into a dental school, but instead for my pre-health professional committee letter of recommendation

#1 reason is money.

If you cant answer it honestly then sorry dude.

STARCITY said:
#1 reason is money.

Thats a horrible answer...you gotta give more than that, elaborate a litte.

Talk about the home you envision yourself living in, the cars you plan to pimp out, the girls you can attract because of the money, the vacations you can take, etc...

Money is a simple, boring answer. Be creative and your interviewer will appreciate your honesty even more.

Members don't see this ad :)
STARCITY said:
#1 reason is money.

If you cant answer it honestly then sorry dude.

I'm not talking about single answers such as money, you mean to tell me if you go to an interview and say money is the main reason i am pursuing this profession that they are going to take you seriously? Obviously it is a large perk of the profession along with any other medical career. I was just curious as to the general direction students went in when approaching this question in interviews. I have so many things i want to say with this question but i don't want to go off topic, i want to hit the main reasons and give examples, just curious what other have done in the past.

thanx

i am going to give an honest answer, but i can't figure out how to elaborate on ym thoughts without going off topic and sounding phoney

im going to say that i want to help the poor Albanian kids who lose all of their teeth at a young age since they do not know how to care for them. being albanian myself, i came to the states before my 17 b-day and now want to make a difference in my country. simply the truth... :) :) :)

Well I answered something like....

First of all, I feel like I really will enjoy the job itself after observing and assisting Dr X.

Second of all, I look up to dentists and would be honored to be one myself.

Thirdly, I will enjoy the patient-dentist interaction.

That's what I SAID but what I was thinking was....
"SHOW ME DA MONEY!!!" :laugh: (Just kidding!!! in case that wasn't clear by the "laughy" face)

My only advise to you on this question is that don't take it so seriously. This is a question that most people lament, brood, and beat themselves over the head over, including myself when I first started this application process. And really, it is not as hard of a question that most people make it out to be. All it takes is a honest examination of what it was that really sparked your desire to pursue this profession--and I'm sure there was "something" since I can't imagine anyone going into dentistry without really having a natural incliniation towards it. As for myself, when I decided to get rid of all the garbage of "oh, I love to help people, I love to see people smile ect." there really was no BS about why I choose to become a dentist. I like the perks that the profession give: its good reputation, flexible working hours (I'm a woman so that's very important), good financial rewards, requires me using my hands and brains, and amples opportunities for making lasting friendships--all this translate to me being able to live a fulfilled, happy, and secured life--which of course, is what I ultimately want. Also, since I will be well-rewarded financially, I can donate part of it back to my community, be abled to travel to other places around the world and either donate financially or my service--ok, this part sounds like I'm bs-ing but I'm not, it's the truth! So, yes, try not to embellish your reasons for pursuing dentistry too much because first of all you will only be kidding yourself and secondly, the adcom folks will KNOW that you are completely making this up! But good luck and Happy Applying :)

tell em the truth.. you are a sick weird kid that enjoys the oral cavity and all the things that make it sooo wonderful! ---

okay i am tried of studying histo

martinelli said:
My only advise to you on this question is that don't take it so seriously. This is a question that most people lament, brood, and beat themselves over the head over, including myself when I first started this application process. And really, it is not as hard of a question that most people make it out to be. All it takes is a honest examination of what it was that really sparked your desire to pursue this profession--and I'm sure there was "something" since I can't imagine anyone going into dentistry without really having a natural incliniation towards it. As for myself, when I decided to get rid of all the garbage of "oh, I love to help people, I love to see people smile ect." there really was no BS about why I choose to become a dentist. I like the perks that the profession give: its good reputation, flexible working hours (I'm a woman so that's very important), good financial rewards, requires me using my hands and brains, and amples opportunities for making lasting friendships--all this translate to me being able to live a fulfilled, happy, and secured life--which of course, is what I ultimately want. Also, since I will be well-rewarded financially, I can donate part of it back to my community, be abled to travel to other places around the world and either donate financially or my service--ok, this part sounds like I'm bs-ing but I'm not, it's the truth! So, yes, try not to embellish your reasons for pursuing dentistry too much because first of all you will only be kidding yourself and secondly, the adcom folks will KNOW that you are completely making this up! But good luck and Happy Applying!

good advice..

because you want to give people bright smiles, rid the world of strep cocci, heal the gum, give out free brush to middle school kids, and then make ton of cash

cba said:
Well I answered something like....

First of all, I feel like I really will enjoy the job itself after observing and assisting Dr X.

Second of all, I look up to dentists and would be honored to be one myself.

Thirdly, I will enjoy the patient-dentist interaction.

That's what I SAID but what I was thinking was....
"SHOW ME DA MONEY!!!" :laugh:
:scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe if you don't have a good answer than you shouldn't be a dentist? Just a thought. But my answer was pretty crappy too, just talked about the versatility of the job. And then about how I couldn't get into med-school.

i appreciate all the input KEEP IN COMING

i dont think its a good idea to talk about not being able to get into med school. i talked about how i like to work under a clinical environment(my mom is a dentist and i assisted her) and how i like to interact with different people. i think it's the best if you have some kind of experience at a dental clinic to relate to.
good luck~

Its all about living out the dream of opening up my dream practice, Iced Grillz. You guys hear that new Nelly song, 'Grillz?' Very inspiring for me, to say the least. I plan on catering directly to the hottest ghetto-fab gangstas on the West Coast.

Rezdawg said:

Talk about the home you envision yourself living in, the cars you plan to pimp out, the girls you can attract because of the money, the vacations you can take, etc...

Money is a simple, boring answer. Be creative and your interviewer will appreciate your honesty even more.

Rezdawg, you are correct!

I am so sorry. As for the money I could care less about that. Money is ugly square and stinky and full of germs.

I like the things that money will get me, and I will get the money thru dentistry.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Rezdawg said:

:D :D

Here's what I mentioned during my interview/personal statement:

1.)How I love communicating with a patient (not in those words)

2.)The instant gratification of dental work...patient walks out of my office and I will know exactly how I performed vs take this blue pill and see me next week!

3.)The generic answer that I love working with my hands...I refered to them as tools during my interview.

4.)Improving the confidence of another (especially here in LA)

5.)Working with a team (hygenist, secretary, assistant..yada yada)

6.)Because a "General" Dentist is still very specialized unlike a "General" Physician

7.)Because dentistry follows a very "step-wise" approach in treating a patient

8.)Highly unlikely that you will kill your patient

9.)You get to enjoy a family lifestyle (you'll be home by 6:00PM)

10.)Any form of Healthcare is a personally rewarding career field

As far as money is concerned I wouldn't mind being paid less if
a.)dental school was only $2,000 a year
b.)dental chairs were cheap
c.)dental instruments were cheap
d.)my patients never throw-up on my hands!
e.)and everyone's breath smelled like strawberry fields.

Luckily I was truthful with my reasons to become a dentist; thus making it easy to gather my thoughts when asked this question. Hopefully you too will see that Dentistry is the best career!

GPA:3.4/3.3(Sci)
DAT:22(AA)/22(NS w/ a 29 in G-Chem :) )/21(PAT)
Interviewed: UF, Nova, Columbia, BU, Tufts, UPENN
Accepted: Nova (my fallback), BU (not going), Tufts (not going)
Waitlisted: UPENN

SoCal1212 said:
Here's what I mentioned during my interview/personal statement:

1.)How I love communicating with a patient (not in those words)

2.)The instant gratification of dental work...patient walks out of my office and I will know exactly how I performed vs take this blue pill and see me next week!

3.)The generic answer that I love working with my hands...I refered to them as tools during my interview.

4.)Improving the confidence of another (especially here in LA)

5.)Working with a team (hygenist, secretary, assistant..yada yada)

6.)Because a "General" Dentist is still very specialized unlike a "General" Physician

7.)Because dentistry follows a very "step-wise" approach in treating a patient

8.)Highly unlikely that you will kill your patient

9.)You get to enjoy a family lifestyle (you'll be home by 6:00PM)

10.)As far as money I wouldn't mind being paid less if
a.)dental school was only $2,000 a year
b.)dental chairs were sold at Target
c.)dental instruments sold at Bed Bath & Beyond (so I can use coupons)
d.)my patients never throw-up on my hands!
e.)and everyone's breath smelled like strawberry fields.

Luckily I was truthful with my reasons to become a dentist. Hopefully you too will see that Dentistry is the best career!

I agree 100% with all of those. Those were my feelings before dental school started and they are exactly the same now. Can't really imagine better reasons to get into dentistry. :thumbup:

Hello there,

Forgive me for being blunt but one should know why he/she chooses the field. If you do not know why dentistry, then I suggest you look into it before you jump. DP

listen here guy, i have already chosen the field, and the purpose of the post was to see what students said to the adcoms during interview, not your view on whether the field is suitable for me.

This statement is not directed at anyone!

I have heard many times that this is not a career for someone who has a primary objective to make money. Money comes with almost any profession that requires years of graduate education.

money still for me!

RozhonDDS said:

For the same 4 reasons why anyone want to become a doctor: chick, money, power, and chick

SoCal1212 said:
This statement is not directed at anyone!

I have heard many times that this is not a career for someone who has a primary objective to make money. Money comes with almost any profession that requires years of graduate education.

money comes sooner with dentistry

Yeah... but not that much sooner. Plus, there is a LOT more debt to get to the big bucks. Dental school is, on average, slightly more expensive than med school.

After graduation, 20% of dentists still go on to do a specialty residency. Most dental residents are either unpaid or get a very small stipend ($15,000 or less); some even PAY to attend residency. Medical residents will be getting ~$40,000+/yr during residency.

If you choose to forego a residency and get your own place you are looking at an additional $300,000 - $500,000 for a practice :eek: --- something MDs don't have to bother with. And during the first couple years of a new start up the cash flow can be VERY tight. It is unlikely you will be pulling in a significant six-figure salary until you have been established at your practice for a few years. The MD will see high six figures the day he steps out of residency with NO investment in a practice. Just show up to work and start writing prescriptions.

I'm not putting dentistry down. Just pointing out that choosing dentistry over medicine for financial reasons would be a very misinformed decision. Choose the one you like best. My advice is to take money out of the equation if dentistry and medicine are the only options you are considering.

BUT...

if money is really your goal and you are willing to invest the time and money required to start a dental practice you could redirect that ambition and make an absolute KILLING in medicine.

When comparing medical and dental incomes most people compare salaried MDs to practice owning dentists. But MDs who own larger practices, day surgery centers, etc... are raking in MUCH, MUCH more than physicians who choose to remain employees all their lives. These MDs are not included in the salary charts you see.

If money is your ONLY goal, medicine wins hands down.

"After graduation, 20% of dentists still go on to do a specialty residency. Most dental residents are either unpaid or get a very small stipend ($15,000 or less); some even PAY to attend residency. Medical residents will be getting ~$40,000+/yr during residency. "

Hi SpongeBob,

I am not sure where you're from but dental residents in the state of Washington gets at least $36,000 or more depending on their year. I think it's comparable to med residents. please check your facts!

Hi SpongeBob,

I am not sure where you're from but dental residents in the state of Washington gets at least $36,000 or more depending on their year. I think it's comparable to med residents. please check your facts!

I hope I don't come across as rude, but you can't make a blanket statement about what dental residents earn. It varies significantly from program to program.

But the facts are that most dental residents (OMS being the most common exception) are NOT eligible for GME funding. Ortho, endo, perio, prosth, and often pedo are frequently unpaid, low paid (under $20,000), or actually charged tuition during residency. It could be that the programs in WA are especially generous with their residents, but that definitely makes them the exception.

I am curious as to where you got a definite figure of $36,000. Is that a state subsidy?

Dr.SpongeBobDDS said:
Yeah... but not that much sooner. Plus, there is a LOT more debt to get to the big bucks. Dental school is, on average, slightly more expensive than med school.

After graduation, 20% of dentists still go on to do a specialty residency. Most dental residents are either unpaid or get a very small stipend ($15,000 or less); some even PAY to attend residency. Medical residents will be getting ~$40,000+/yr during residency.

If you choose to forego a residency and get your own place you are looking at an additional $300,000 - $500,000 for a practice :eek: --- something MDs don't have to bother with. And during the first couple years of a new start up the cash flow can be VERY tight. It is unlikely you will be pulling in a significant six-figure salary until you have been established at your practice for a few years. The MD will see high six figures the day he steps out of residency with NO investment in a practice. Just show up to work and start writing prescriptions.

I'm not putting dentistry down. Just pointing out that choosing dentistry over medicine for financial reasons would be a very misinformed decision. Choose the one you like best. My advice is to take money out of the equation if dentistry and medicine are the only options you are considering.

listen kid. money comes much earlier in dentistry.

saying it doesnt is just a lie or ignorance.

martinelli said:
"After graduation, 20% of dentists still go on to do a specialty residency. Most dental residents are either unpaid or get a very small stipend ($15,000 or less); some even PAY to attend residency. Medical residents will be getting ~$40,000+/yr during residency. "

Hi SpongeBob,

& 80% dont.

Dr.SpongeBobDDS said:
I hope I don't come across as rude, but you can't make a blanket statement about what dental residents earn. It varies significantly from program to program.

But the facts are that most dental residents (OMS being the most common exception) are NOT eligible for GME funding. Ortho, endo, perio, prosth, and often pedo are frequently unpaid, low paid (under $20,000), or actually charged tuition during residency. It could be that the programs in WA are especially generous with their residents, but that definitely makes them the exception.

I am curious as to where you got a definite figure of $36,000. Is that a state subsidy?

Hi SpongeBob,

It's alright; I think we log onto this website to be better informed of our profession. I have some stats from both a public institution (UW) and a private institution (BUSDM)

Stipends and Benefits for PEDO residents at UW:

The stipend for 1st year residents for fiscal year 2002 was $36,624. The stipend for 2nd year residents for fiscal year 2002 was $40,020.
Here's the link if you want to read further:
http://www.dental.washington.edu/pedo/allpages/grad.htm#Stipends and Benefits

Resident Stipends for 2005/2006 for OMS residents at UW:
1st yr: $ 40,512
2nd yr: $ 42,972
3rd yr: $ 45,384
4th yr: $ 47,844
5th yr: $ 50,268
Here's the link:
http://www.dental.washington.edu/departments/oralsurgery/academic/resprogram/stipends.htm

BOSTON UNIVERSITY SDM ENDO PROGRAM STIPENDS:
1ST YEAR: $47,133
2ND YEAR: $49,271
3RD YEAR: $51,590
4TH YEAR:$55,088
5TH YEAR: $59,693
Here's the link: http://dentalschool.bu.edu/Departments/default.htm

After you verified these stats, let me know what you think?

if its only money your after you should be a CEO. you get 20 million a year even if they find you stole a bunch more from the company. then they "buy out" the rest of your contract so they can fire you. then you can get paid 200,000 for talking about how you "messed up" on a speaking circut.

retire at 30, buy an island, fund some crazy science experiments...whatever you want to do.......

elderjam said:
if its only money your after you should be a CEO. you get 20 million a year even if they find you stole a bunch more from the company. then they "buy out" the rest of your contract so they can fire you. then you can get paid 200,000 for talking about how you "messed up" on a speaking circut.

retire at 30, buy an island, fund some crazy science experiments...whatever you want to do.......
Retire at 30 being a CEO?! Not unless you come up with a brilliant idea like yahoo or google... To become a CEO at a well established corporation is a long process... You must first work for at least 2 years after undergrad, then go on to get an MBA in any kind of specialty you want, like investment banking or global management. Then work and kiss ass for 10-15 years, then you might be CEO... If you wanna make money, with ALOT less effort then going to dental school, and i mean ALOT of money... Get an MBA in investment banking... If you head a merger of 2 multimillion dollar companies, you get a nice percentage of like 7%. Is it the most ethical job??? hell no! :D

martinelli said:
BOSTON UNIVERSITY SDM ENDO PROGRAM STIPENDS:
1ST YEAR: $47,133
2ND YEAR: $49,271
3RD YEAR: $51,590
4TH YEAR:$55,088
5TH YEAR: $59,693
Here's the link: http://dentalschool.bu.edu/Departments/default.htm

Those stipends you have listed for BU are for their OMS program, not Endo. Their Endo program charges $44K/year for tuition, $16K/year for instruments, and some more additional fees. Look at the "Tuition and Fees" section under "Postdoc Programs."

Only the majority of Pedo & OMS residents get stipends comparable to what the medical residents at the same hospital are getting. The other specialties vary greatly - some get stipends as large as the medical counterparts, while others (like BU) will pay huge amounts of tuition for 2 - 4 years during specialty and receive no stipend.

golfmontpoker said:
Retire at 30 being a CEO?! Not unless you come up with a brilliant idea like yahoo or google... To become a CEO at a well established corporation is a long process... You must first work for at least 2 years after undergrad, then go on to get an MBA in any kind of specialty you want, like investment banking or global management. Then work and kiss ass for 10-15 years, then you might be CEO... If you wanna make money, with ALOT less effort then going to dental school, and i mean ALOT of money... Get an MBA in investment banking... If you head a merger of 2 multimillion dollar companies, you get a nice percentage of like 7%. Is it the most ethical job??? hell no! :D

people whose life goal is to only make lots of money usually don't subscribe to ethics of any kind.
examples =junk bonds / mike milken
http://www.forbes.com/free_forbes/2005/0509/138.html

have you heard of 500+ dentists making this..
http://www.forbes.com/2005/04/20/05ceoland.html

as for age
http://www.forbes.com/lists/2004/04/19/cx_jw_0420youngceos.html
ok maybe retire at 40

elderjam said:

dont know any CEOs who are 30.

Also, only the top 1% of the brightest and best become CEO's of fortune 500 companies.

do some research please and quit wasting out time.

golfmontpoker said:
If you wanna make money, with ALOT less effort then going to dental school, and i mean ALOT of money... Get an MBA in investment banking...

You don't get an MBA *in* anything. It's just like you don't get a JD in trial law, you don't get an MD in surgery, and you don't get a DDS/DMD in orthodontics. Those are things you specialize in after you get the general degree.

And big time investment banking is a field generally open only to people from the top b-schools.

RozhonDDS said:

why are you asking other people for responses for YOUR question? people have personal reasons for wanting to be a dentist (maybe they had cleft palate), some people just want money (and will probably not like the profession), some people want to work in health care but do not want to commit to being on-call, the point is that everyone has their own special circumstances for why they want to become a dentist. asking people for THEIR responses to this question should not help you in figuring out why YOU want to be a dentist. take some time, sit down, write down the things about dentistry that appeal to you and why, then you have your answer.

Cyclysm said:
why are you asking other people for responses for YOUR question? people have personal reasons for wanting to be a dentist (maybe they had cleft palate), some people just want money (and will probably not like the profession), some people want to work in health care but do not want to commit to being on-call, the point is that everyone has their own special circumstances for why they want to become a dentist. asking people for THEIR responses to this question should not help you in figuring out why YOU want to be a dentist. take some time, sit down, write down the things about dentistry that appeal to you and why, then you have your answer.

True and I agree. You have to first be honest with yourself with what you really want, not what other people want. Then when you say it at the intervew, your honesty and true desires will show through and you'll be accepted! Simple as that. :)