Why do YOU want to be a dentist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BenJ

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm really curious about this, since I myself am not too sure.

So spill the beans - why do you want to be a dentist?

- Do you have some weird fetish for teeth?
- Are you attracted by the dough?
- Did you get rejected from med school?
- Or whatever other reason(s) you might have.

What's your reason??

Members don't see this ad.

"First you get the money, then you get power and then the woman..."
;)

Nah, really....
I really would like to know why people are thinking of joining this profession!

TIA!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well.....

You all better practice this question, since it will be asked in your interviews a lot!

I chose dentistry because I wanted to do something medically-related, but didn't want to take medicine. I love the artistry of dentistry. I think that it's a creative, artistic profession as well as being in the health care field. It also helped that one of my parents is a dentist, and they love their profession. (The idea that I'll get to have a LIFE and every evening off definitely helped, too - since I'd eventually like to have a family.)

The only obvious downside to dentistry is that people generally don't want to come see you! I work in a dental office, and if I had a nickel for every time someone said to me "Oh god, I HATE coming to the dentist....." Arrrggggghhh. I get so tired of hearing that.

Originally posted by crimson
"First you get the money, then you get power and then the woman..."
;)

Yikes, by the way.

Thanks for the replies.

Any others with some input?

I have and still am having more dental work performed on me than most 80 year olds. If there were no dentists I would never be able to smile! I have wanted to be a dentist for as long as I can remember...so for me, it is wanting to give back to someone what so many dentists had once done for me. The dentists gave me confidence and if I can give just one person the same good feelings than it is worth it!
I also like the fact that you are isolating a single area and perfecting it. I would much rather work with my hands and create something as oposed to reading a book or write a prescription!

Lifelong exposure to the field (grew up in a family of dentists). That whole childhood fascination thing along with seeing the practice of dentistry firsthand and its rapid evolution in the past few decades. So I'm comfortable and familiar with the profession and aware of its importance to the community, and wouldn't mind being a part of it for the rest of my life.

And yes, that's the spiel I gave the interviewers two years ago. Looks like it worked too. :D

Originally posted by sjdent
Yikes, by the way.

For the love of God, that's not me but Mr Pachino in Scarface. :rolleyes: :p

First you get the sugar, then you get the money, then you get the women :)

As for me I think the reason I want to become a dentist is that overall satisfaction you can give someone. You can change someones whole outlook on life with one visit. Putting on braces and then taking them off. I really amazed at the reaction when guys and gals come out of the ortho with there braces off for the first time and how excited they are. Not to mention that if you want a career that is always changing and the pay is not that bad. If you want a night life thats a plus too.

later guys
hockeydentist

I have always known that I had to be in a medical/scientific field. In addition, genetics pointed me in the right direction by sending me to the dentist more than the average person. I know where my smile was before I got braces, and where it is today; this field is about helping people build confidence and self-esteem by improving/maintaining the first thing people notice on meeting someone new - their smile. I would like to do that for someone someday too. Also, I am very artistically inclined (love to oil-paint). Details are important to me. And lastly, I am very family-oriented and want to make sure that I get into a career that will allow me the maximum amount of time to spend with the family and at the same time earn a good income. Just one career that could satisfy all my requirements. In a nutshell, people-oriented+scientifically oriented+artistically oriented+family oriented+income-oriented= DENTISTRY!