Why do you want to be a doctor? [Not to help people]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You explain the reason why this is inadequate rather nicely in the rest of your post. Simply saying "I want to help people" is fairly trite and non-specific. A lot of professions are in the business of helping people. Why not be a firefighter, or a policeman, or a teacher, or even a customer service representative? What is it about medicine that makes it the best profession in which to serve others?

I agree right up until your final sentence. That framing of the question leads to the same inadequacies you mentioned at the beginning--any answer will be equally vulnerable to "A lot of professions are in the business of X." Flipping the question around gets to a better answer: what about medical service makes it the best for you?

Members don't see this ad.

1. I like science.
2. I'd like to add some net good back into the universe.
3. More autonomy than being a PA or an NP.
4. Job Security.
5. Money.

I feel a bit sad that it probably won't be in my best interest to be honest when I actually apply but I have to do what I can.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really really like science, the brain, and neuroscience in general. My intellectual interests are in the field of medicine so it makes sense. Also, the life of a doctor appeals to me. I might be overworked but everyday will be excitingly busy and stimulating... i'll be on my feet, interacting with new patients and scenarios every day, there will be emergencies, I will be tested constantly etc. I just feel like it would be a great job for me that would never get boring or cease being fulfilling.

I don't wanna say it's about the money either, but obviously financial security is a great thing and job security is very important, especially in this market.

Overrated reasons:

1) I like science
2) I like learning, and as a doctor, there is a ton of stuff to learn in school and continuous learning throughout a career

Underrated reasons:

3) I like physically doing things (eg: procedures, surgery, etc) and I like working with my hands.
4) It's not a desk job. I hate sitting and working at a computer hours/day
5) Money, prestige, and job security.

The helping people thing doesn't top my list, because virtually every job on the planet is going to help somebody. I think I'm well-suited to study/practice medicine and I would make a more effective doctor compared to most other professions.

Because I like to take things apart, see how they work, then (attempt to) put them back together.

All my toys met the same fate, usually about a week after I got them.

Put that on your PS.

You must be young. Just you wait.

Depends if you consider 27 young :p

Seriously, though, I've devoted a lot of thought to the concept of suffering and have decided it serves no purpose. In all cases in which one can claim something has been learned or "gained" from suffering, it can be shown that there exists some realistic alternative where the exact same benefits are gained minus the suffering. Try the thought exercise for yourself. I'd be more than happy to entertain hypotheticals and examples as well :)

Depends if you consider 27 young :p

Seriously, though, I've devoted a lot of thought to the concept of suffering and have decided it serves no purpose. In all cases in which one can claim something has been learned or "gained" from suffering, it can be shown that there exists some realistic alternative where the exact same benefits are gained minus the suffering. Try the thought exercise for yourself. I'd be more than happy to entertain hypotheticals and examples as well :)

Try reading The Gift of Pain by Dr. Paul Brand, pain and suffering serves a purpose just like everything else. PM me and let me know what you think if you get around to it.

Clearly. :rolleyes:

Keep being foolish. I'll keep winning. :laugh:

I just brush them off like flea's. But if they fight and fight and defend and defend and get personal, I just never ever let them convince themselves that they are right.

Learn the difference between a possessive and a plural :rolleyes: :laugh:

I agree right up until your final sentence. That framing of the question leads to the same inadequacies you mentioned at the beginning--any answer will be equally vulnerable to "A lot of professions are in the business of X." Flipping the question around gets to a better answer: what about medical service makes it the best for you?

I'd say that the question is necessarily personal and subjective, so that's why I left out "...for you."

You explain the reason why this is inadequate rather nicely in the rest of your post. Simply saying "I want to help people" is fairly trite and non-specific. A lot of professions are in the business of helping people. Why not be a firefighter, or a policeman, or a teacher, or even a customer service representative? What is it about medicine that makes it the best profession in which to serve others?

If you can expand upon it well-enough, can it be appropriate to say "I want to help people" though? Like, if I can demonstrate a background of helping others, and explain the unique opportunities that medicine offers in that goal.. then is that still not enough?

Is it one of those things that is just best to always avoid?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you can expand upon it well-enough, can it be appropriate to say "I want to help people" though? Like, if I can demonstrate a background of helping others, and explain the unique opportunities that medicine offers in that goal.. then is that still not enough?

Is it one of those things that is just best to always avoid?

I don't think anyone would say "don't say that you want to help people." The advice is "don't only say 'I want to help people'"--that is, you need to be able to justify it.

Let's put it this way: when you're explaining your rationale to someone, you want them to reach the same conclusion that you have already reached--that medicine is the correct profession for you to pursue. However you want to go about doing this is up to you.

An exercise you might consider is asking yourself "why?" five times in succession: if the answer to "Why do you want to be a doctor?" is "I want to help people," then ask yourself "why do I want to help people?," and so on.

I don't think anyone would say "don't say that you want to help people." The advice is "don't only say 'I want to help people'"--that is, you need to be able to justify it.

Let's put it this way: when you're explaining your rationale to someone, you want them to reach the same conclusion that you have already reached--that medicine is the correct profession for you to pursue. However you want to go about doing this is up to you.

An exercise you might consider is asking yourself "why?" five times in succession: if the answer to "Why do you want to be a doctor?" is "I want to help people," then ask yourself "why do I want to help people?," and so on.

Good to know. This is effectively what I've done, though it's derived from "helping people" at the core, so just wanted to make sure..

science is the least subjective reality of our world, given that, the best application for science is ensuring survival of our species , hence medicine. (long story short fulfillment)

Try reading The Gift of Pain by Dr. Paul Brand, pain and suffering serves a purpose just like everything else. PM me and let me know what you think if you get around to it.

Took a look at a quick synopsis and I think we have a misunderstanding. I tend to distinguish suffering from pain in that I use more of an esoteric definition. Pain has it's place of course: in helping us avert from things that may harm us or those around is. I define suffering as pain without a constructive end benefit. For example, the old lady who never married living alone, whose friends have all died, and who is afflicted by terrible maladies that she cannot afford to have treated. This, to me, is suffering, not just simple pain. It goes beyond the physical to the mental, emotional, and spiritual.

What is the purpose of this person's suffering? So we can feel good about having it better? No, I don't subscribe to that kind of egocentric thought. Or is it so that injustices like these can be made more visible, that we may correct them in the future? This may be true, but I have to ask, what stops us from fixing them now? Nothing at all. And that brings me back to my first point:that any good that comes from suffering can just as well be arrived at without suffering. Therefore, it is pointless.

Took a look at a quick synopsis and I think we have a misunderstanding. I tend to distinguish suffering from pain in that I use more of an esoteric definition. Pain has it's place of course: in helping us avert from things that may harm us or those around is. I define suffering as pain without a constructive end benefit. For example, the old lady who never married living alone, whose friends have all died, and who is afflicted by terrible maladies that she cannot afford to have treated. This, to me, is suffering, not just simple pain. It goes beyond the physical to the mental, emotional, and spiritual.

What is the purpose of this person's suffering? So we can feel good about having it better? No, I don't subscribe to that kind of egocentric thought. Or is it so that injustices like these can be made more visible, that we may correct them in the future? This may be true, but I have to ask, what stops us from fixing them now? Nothing at all. And that brings me back to my first point:that any good that comes from suffering can just as well be arrived at without suffering. Therefore, it is pointless.

I don't know about that; from a philosophical perspective, the understanding and insight that personal suffering brings can be enlightening. Granted, nobody's going to call you out on that in a med school interview, probably.. but just a thought.

I like popping huge pus filled zits/cysts and I made the observation that while everyone else was running when the 80year old man with hearing problems came in, I jumped at the opportunity to do an ear irrigation. Nothing was more satisfying than pulling out a big black/yellow hairy wax ball. I realized this wasn't normal and then someone told me I could get paid large amounts of money to continue on with my weird obsession of searching for the most disgusting things to get into, so I thought 'why not'. True story.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5M4-Nh7FPo[/youtube]

Satisfaction from 2:30 onwards. I would pay someone to let me do this.

Complete honesty,

1) I can't imagine doing anything else. I absolutely love the idea of being able to change someone's life. I also just enjoy listening to people, and solving their problems, or helping them through rough patches in their life. Psychiatry ftw. :)

2) It's the hardest goal I've ever set myself up for, and quite possibly the most fulfilling.

3) Job security

The money is great too, but I could live on a 50k job just as well, so...it's not anything too high on the list.

I don't know about that; from a philosophical perspective, the understanding and insight that personal suffering brings can be enlightening. Granted, nobody's going to call you out on that in a med school interview, probably.. but just a thought.

I totally agree, and have experienced as much myself, but I still think non-suffering alternatives can bring the same enlightenment. Further, I think the type of suffering a doctor (excluding psychiatrists) is likely to encounter is more of the pointless variety as opposed to, say, being kicked out of your home and having to be homeless for a month, breaking off a long-term relationship, or experiencing the unexpected death of a close loved one.