Why do you want to be a doctor ---- when they ask you at the interview!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedstudent?

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all your responses you guys and you guys have real reasons....but that's the problem. I can't say all that when they ask me at the interview. What do I say when they ask me "Why do you want to be a doctor?"
"Why you?"

Members don't see this ad.

Only you can answer that and it should be truthful. I'm not trying to sound harsh, but you should be able to answe that question honestly by now. Just speak from the heart about why you have chosen this particular profession. I don't think Adcoms care why but they do want the applicants to have done some self-assessment in this regard. The "why you" is a bit harder as it means trying to distinguish what makes you stand out from the crowd. Again, that is something only you can answer based on your personal goals and experiences.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cerberus, you managed to sum up my response rather concisely:)

I do want to add that during some of the interviews I was probed rather deftly by my interviewers, not just on the above questions. For example, I was asked what I felt my weak points were. Then I was asked to explain in more detail what I meant by that, and then to give an example of that. In other words, they were waiting for the bulls__t alarm to sound. If you don't really know why you are doing this and you don't know your own mind, they will feel you are just trying to tell them what they want to hear.

Originally posted by Cerberus
If you have to start a thread to figure out why you want to be a doctor than you are in trouble:rolleyes:

This is classic! I also love threads that say "need help writing essay that requires me to tell the admissions committee a little about myself.";)

Well, in defese of those who dont know how to say it. We may not be lacking reasons, but we have truly known for so long that we dont really think of them often anymore. Like the 70 year old christian who has been going to chuch for decades. You ask his why we thinks christianity is the right religion and not judism or something he probably couldn't really say. Its not to say he didnt have alot of reasons (albiet screwy ones) back when he began chuch, but now its a part of him and he doesnt justify it anymore.

Of course, the dude/chick above has a question make after premed soooo...
Im guessing he/she aint the type.

I have reasons:

good money
job security
i want to help people
fulfilling profession
i like science
i want a challenging career

However, is it okay to be so honest to say something like good money?

for the $$ thing...I am going to mention that I want a family someday and like the thought of being financially secure for them. I don't think it is bad to mention that. Just don't say you want to own a $200k ferrari.

Two years later.. I still cannot answer that question in a way that would be coherent to other people.

I do love the opening scene of "Gross Anatomy"

If you where a tree what kind of tree would you be?

............elm........?

"Cause i want to make..(looks around)...lots of money (smiles)"

hehe

Originally posted by premedstudent?

However, is it okay to be so honest to say something like good money?

Well it's not like they don't know thats a factor. You could probably say it if you worded it correctly. I wouldn't use anything off this board though. It will sound fake and rehearsed, because it would be!

Think about why YOU want to be a doc and try and find an appropriate way of saying it. It doesn't have to be some grand Patch Adam's like rant. In fact an adcom member once told me that if a person can not convey why they want to be a physician in 15 seconds then they probably have no idea why they want to be one (aside from unsaids like money, prestige, and power).

I know what you guys mean, but here's my Q:

Do you stress the "compassionate" side of why you wanna be a doc (noble career, help people, give back to society..."

Or the "career-oriented" side (professional, stable, flexible, can be your own boss...)

Or "your history" side (growing up i went to the doc's a lot and thought oh what wonderful people, i wanna be just like them!!!)

Or do you say all these reasons and put the interviewer to sleep, steal the evaluation and give yourself 10's on everything :laugh: ?

Theres not an art or anything to it. Just say why, and move on to the next question.

Originally posted by premedstudent?
Thanks for all your responses you guys and you guys have real reasons....but that's the problem. I can't say all that when they ask me at the interview. What do I say when they ask me "Why do you want to be a doctor?"
"Why you?"

iamwithstupid.gif

I already said this in another thread: tell them you like science and want to help people