Why do you want to be a doctor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nicky44

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I always get this question from people........ I was wondering what you all would say......

Members don't see this ad.

I wanted to be in a position to directly alter the quality of life of someone who had come to me after living with some sort of malady that they should not have to live with in a perfect world. I plan on going into PM&R and specializing in musculoskeletal medicine so you all can tell that I basically want to physically rehabilitate a person AND, more importantly, make tham even stronger and thus better off than when they had come to see me regarding their physical impairment. Just my feelings....

Honestly, God has just put the desire in my heart. After going on a few medical missions trips, I knew that was what I wanted to do with the rest of my life. There is so much need all over the place, it's incredible. I always knew that I would not practice forever in the States, probably only complete the required stuff. Then I am off to some Spanish-speaking country to do full-time medical missions work. I could possibly enjoy working in an inner-city hospital, such as Cook County in Chicago (been there too many times, used to do gang ministry in the city) where there is a large Hispanic population. I cannot wait to be done with school and just get out there and be useful somewhere.......
tongue.gif

------------------
"Come to Me, all you who are weary and heavy laden and I will give you rest."

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly just answer with what is on your hear and your real reason for doing this. Some people ask me that, and they kinda think I'm doing it for the money... but personally I could be a CS or Bussiness and go through less school and make good money. I am personally doing it, becasue I have a desire to help people.

Howdy,

What Dylan911 said! Missions.

This reminds me of the ER episode where the medical school applicants were asked this same question... they all had some variation of "i want to help people" in their replies. I laughed my ass off at that scene...

take it easy

homonculus

ha-ha, so did I!