Why do you want to be a doctor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Docsaintrita71

NYCOM Class 2012
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a premed studying for MCAT's and I am really interested to know why some of you have selected this field. It is probably due to some personal experience that triggered your interest or perhaps the money or perhaps the recognition from peers and family members. But, what is it that motivates you each day to pursue this goal? And, is that motivation enough? What is it that drives you to study long, long hours with seemingly no end in sight for something like the MCAT JUST to get into medical school?? Thanks everyone. Please reply via private message, if you like, OR you can simply post it up here so that we all can respond. :D

Members don't see this ad.

istockphoto_842320_flame_boy.jpg

There ya go.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can cut people with knives without going to jail. And get paid for it.

Writing your personal statement?

When I couldn't learn to use the Search Function to look for past threads with the same title, I figured Computer Science was out. :p

I just wanna have my own tv show one day.

As Doctor Cox so elegantly put it, "I want to become a doctor for the same four reasons as everyone else: chicks, money, power, and chicks." That should help you get started on your PS

Members don't see this ad :)
Damn. Beat me to it.

Dep, where have you been? Thought about you the other day when I wore my Evil Medical School shirt out to the bar - everyone loved it btw. Good joerb! :thumbup:

I want to be a doctor b/c I'll likely never be happy doing anything else. I just like being in the clinic with patients. I think medicine is interesting, challenging, and rewarding. I can't wait to start med school....

Dep, where have you been? Thought about you the other day when I wore my Evil Medical School shirt out to the bar - everyone loved it btw. Good joerb! :thumbup:

Awesome!

Anyway, work's been keeping me busy as hell. Only reason I'm on now is b/c the e-mail server's down...

This has always been a trick question for me.

I dont really but my parents pressured me into it. And nurses are hot. You make good money too.

Because nothing else will satisfy my God complex.

For me, I think medicine is a natural compromise between my desire to make a positive difference in people's lives (in which case i would teach or be a psychologist) and my pursuit of intellectual challenge and growth (In which case I would be an engineer or a researcher).

Sounds reasonable enough to me...

I want to be a doctor because i cured two people when i was 10. I am from AFRICA and My father was a traditional doctor (but never went to any school--no formal education). However, one day as we were walking through the forest, he showed me one plant that could be used to treat some kind of infections. So, my 7th grade classmate had that infection and she could not be cured at the local clinic with even antibiotic. So, i went to the forest and i got her the traditional medicine. Told her to rub against her infection for about a week. She was cured and i was told i was a doctor--she even asked me if i wanted to marry her--being the fool that i was i refused.

Another story. I was on a back of a pick up truck that was going from a rural area to the nearest town. The hospital was about five hours away. A woman who was about to give birth was screaming like crazy. I took out a sharp blade and cut open her Vagina and there comes the baby---so cute and the woman was saved. Too many crazy stories but being a doctor is like being god in worldly sense. Does that help?

I want to be a doctor because i cured two people when i was 10. I am from AFRICA and My father was a traditional doctor (but never went to any school--no formal education). However, one day as we were walking through the forest, he showed me one plant that could be used to treat some kind of infections. So, my 7th grade classmate had that infection and she could not be cured at the local clinic with even antibiotic. So, i went to the forest and i got her the traditional medicine. Told her to rub against her infection for about a week. She was cured and i was told i was a doctor--she even asked me if i wanted to marry her--being the fool that i was i refused.

Another story. I was on a back of a pick up truck that was going from a rural area to the nearest town. The hospital was about five hours away. A woman who was about to give birth was screaming like crazy. I took out a sharp blade and cut open her Vagina and there comes the baby---so cute and the woman was saved. Too many crazy stories but being a doctor is like being god in worldly sense. Does that help?

I think I found my personal essay. Oh wait, I already wrote it. Crap!!!

Cheesy or not, changing a persons life weather the outcome is good or bad is a dramatic and wonderful feeling. I've worked in the lower end of health care for the last 7 years, I've seen people die, I've seen people rehabilitated. To be right in the midst of it (as an MD) making the decisions, is and will always be the one and only thing I want to do. I know I don't have to be an MD to take part in some way, but still ...

I'm just following in the footsteps of my hero, Nick Riviera.
"Well if it isn't my old friend Mr. McGreg, with a leg for an arm, and an arm for a leg!"

I've wanted to be a doctor every since my life-changing event following a car accident. I was initially knocked out by the impact, but when I came to, I realized that I had hit a silver convertible Mercedes with a doctor in it. After grasping the reality that my car sucked and this guy's car rocked, I found my new calling. I've wanted to help people ever since.

does anyone who applied this cycle still ask themselves this everyday, even as the interview cycle winds down? believe me, i had an answer on my PS and definately during my interviews. but even though i'm done with the process (finally!) i still wonder if i'm really cut out for this/if i didn't just manage to fool the adcoms into thinking that i'd be a good doctor...

Because nothing else will satisfy my God complex.

Well you could always become a billionaire businessman and then your god complex would be satisfied easily. You just havent figured a fast guaranteed way of getting there, so doctor will have to do. ;) :smuggrin:

We're all in it for the money, glamour, babes, and litigation.

hahahaaha Our friend Panda would love you for your references of DABs.

To save the medical profession from all the tree-hugging, kumbayah-singing, one-world-government social justice left wing do-gooders who are currently cannibalizing it from the inside!

Yes, that's right, next year's applicants. I will become a student interviewer, and when you tell me you believe in universal health care or that you'd practice medicine just to help the underserved even if you had to pay to do it, I will stamp a big fat REJECTED all over your application.

To quote Dr. Cox:

"I became a doctor for the same four reasons everybody else does--chicks, money, power and chicks."

Oooooh---you should have a good chance at getting into a top 10. But only if you get a 15 on one of your sections on the MCATssssssss.

rofl OP, write your own personal statement :rolleyes:

I, for one, have also wondered this same question, and not with the intent of stealing ideas for a PS. :rolleyes:

For me, sure, I do like the idea of being the one that people go to in their times of need (particularly so for my interest in EM, despite the drug seeking / bull**** complaints and such). I will also readily admit that the pay (north of $200,000 on average, I gather) and hours of EM are a huge interest, as I will not - will NOT - go into a surgery-esque field in terms of demands of the position and that sort of thing. I would sooner leave medical practice than go into a field that I (a) didn't enjoy, (b) left me with no time to myself, (c) burned me out extraordinarily quickly and with great frequency, (d) all of the above. But I digress.

And as typical as it sounds to some people, I honestly have a hard time pulling myself away. It's like there's this little voice going, "Hey man, if you don't go to med school, you will wake up in ~5-6 years and say, 'self, you should've been a second-year resident by now.'"

To save the medical profession from all the tree-hugging, kumbayah-singing, one-world-government social justice left wing do-gooders who are currently cannibalizing it from the inside!

Yes, that's right, next year's applicants. I will become a student interviewer, and when you tell me you believe in universal health care or that you'd practice medicine just to help the underserved even if you had to pay to do it, I will stamp a big fat REJECTED all over your application.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I agree with you. I wish they'd take the money cuts from the other 95% of the medical funds rather then doctors' 5% of that chunk of money. I.e. take it from the insurance companies that are cannabilizing on the doctors instead of the doctors.