Why do you want to be a doctor???????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedstudent1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
why do you guys wanna be doctors? Do you already know your specialties and subspecialities, if any.

Members don't see this ad.

This comes up a lot, and most people won't post their exact reason. Mine was a conglomeration of my mom dying of pancreatic cancer when I was twelve, working for a surgeon throughout high school, and volunteering in the hospital for 400+ hours in college.

I don't plan on choosing a specialty until I've done rotations. But when people ask me I usually tell them what specialty i'm interested in at the moment. I'm pretty interested in Internal Medicine, Bariatrics, Anesthesiology, and Orthopedic surgery.

I want to be a doctor because I love working over 40 hours a week. Ok i'm kidding there...

Members don't see this ad :)
This comes up a lot, and most people won't post their exact reason. Mine was a conglomeration of my mom dying of pancreatic cancer when I was twelve, working for a surgeon throughout high school, and volunteering in the hospital for 400+ hours in college.
I am sorry to hear about your mother, my condolences. So what would be your specialty?

I simply want a more satisfying career. I've done a couple stints in the military, then worked in real estate for a couple years. Neither provided the satisfaction I desired. As long as I'm close to those I help, I don't need a boss to tell me I've done good, and it doesn't get much closer than the doctor-patient experience. There are many other factors, but that's the biggest of them all.

I have enough experience in EM to know that it probably won't be my specialty. Although that may change once I do the core rotations. At this point it's basically, "Should I generalize or specialize?" EM would be extreme generalizing and I'm not sure if my brain is built for that kind of work. Do I want to know a little about everything?

I want to learn more detail about one specific area, I'm just not sure what area yet. Neuro, endocrine, heme interest me right now. I guess I just like details and getting the sense that you are delving into something.

Some people say "I'm going to medical school so I can be an emergency[or other specialty] physician". I'm definitely not one of those people but I do put substantial thought into it.

why do you guys wanna be doctors?

Certainly not to change the world or for any of those BS idealistic reasons some people say. I want to be a doctor primarily because I love learning and being challeneged. I love solving problems and especially solving the problems of people in need who depend on you. I also want the respect that physicians in my town get from the general population (I'm in a rural area). I also want to make a good living... I want to make a lot of money so I can afford to take vacations, buy nice cars, give my family opportunities I never had, and get that 90 inch flat screen TV for the superbowl.

I'm not smart enough to be a Physicist, so this is the next best choice - at least it begins with a 'phy'.

And I'm going in with an open mind as to the specialty - anything from Family Medicine to Neurosurgery. Obviously, if I get 190 on USMLE, a lot of the specialties are out for me, so a lot depends on that too.

threads like these always bothered me. worry about getting in first, then worry about what you are going to specialize in.

from what i gather, many students end up going into a specialty that has nothing to do with what they thought they would be when they entered med school. In most cases, the field chooses you, not the other way around. isnt that what the 3rd and 4th year of med school is for?

once you actually start med school, go in with an open mind.

I went to the wrong testing center and ended up taking the MCAT instead of the GMAT. So here I am.

hard science gets the gilrs

It's a tough choice - I can go into Physics and do real science but saying you're a physicist is the quickest way to end a conversation with the opposite sex. Saying you're a doctor, on the other hand....

Anyway, I found this pretty humorous:

I believe I have found proof that infact, biology is NOT a science.

My proof is as followed:

1) There are too many good looking chicks who are biology majors

This is self-explanatory

2) Biology is in the news too much (evolution)

People are not interested in science. People are interested and talk about evolution. Thus, Biology can't be a science.

3) People do not recoil when you say "biologist"

People are amazed and in awe upon uttering the fact that you are a "physicist" or "chemist" (and a few others, except geology, no one is scared of geologists). This is not true of biologists.

4) There is too much memorization

Where are the formulas? Science without formulas is like Italians without spaghetti.

5) Nothing explosive is made

Explosive things are the secret "coolness" of science. Biology doesnt like to blow things up. I do.

6) People don't mispell "biology"

Ok I guess this only is a problem with physics (seriously people, there is only 1 'i' in physics and no 'k')... but I'm still using it. Tough.

7) Biologists seen on tv are women much of the time, not men with receeding hairlines, thus, biology isn't a science

Only men with receeding hairlines do science. Except one of my chemistry professors, but that's just because he's awesome.

I shall approach my university with this proof of biology not being a science so that I may replace it with a journalism class.