why do you want to be a doctor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

watergirl1202

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

okay so obviously the inevitable question that comes up in interview... why do you want to be a doctor?
... okay i know everyone wants to help ppl... obviously that would be your answer but it seems like that is not good enough because you can be other thing and can help more ppl... you know like work for the UNICEF or what not...
and i think answers like i knew i wanted to be a doctor since i was born... that is just lie... and we all know it...
so what makes you guys want to go to med school? what makes your answer stands out?
You obviously don't have an answer for yourself. Reading one hundred reasons why other people persue medicine won't bring you any closer to the real question you want answered.

I would then proceed to offer you my reason but I don't really have one, yet. Maybe after I shadow this summer... but why should you care, honestly.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
To tell you the truth, it's a long journey that I will have to figure out why I want to become a doctor. But my characteristics and interests are leading me into that profession.

I love learning new things from science to art courses. I am very passionate in learning how our body works and how people think (sociology and psychology). I am a very social person to be with (when I'm very comfortable, I'm even more social). Even though I struggle with my academic courses, I still like the aspect of learning new material of how things work and why they work. After taking a two year break from high school, I am ready to take my goal as a challenge.

If you think about it, life is pretty simple, just do it, don't procrastinate.

Please at least try to make your post comprehensible.
Go back to grammar school.

Meh, I'm in a good mood, so I'll share rather than tell you to find your own reason like other (rightfully) are.

In short, because being a physician is the jack of all trades of my interests. All my interests and everything I want out of a career come together in varying degrees as a physician. I've always been the guy trying to decide between careers rather than trying to find one.

In what other career can you be a teacher, a scientist, a healer, and a businessman all rolled into one? In what other career can you go into work and directly make a major impact in a person's life while the next day doing research that may some day save thousands? In what other career can reach some of the highest peaks of education and mental endeavor while still getting to work with your hands? In what other career can you deal with both highly educated peers and John Q Public on a daily basis?

I mean certainly even in medicine you will have to make decisions and turn the slider down on some desires and up on others, but medicine really gives you so much control over those sliders and the kind of work you do.

Basically, I want to be a physician because it gives me the freedom to help people and society on multiple levels as well as satisfy my own convolved desires for a career.

my parents said they'd pay for my expenses + the cost of living as long as i was in school.

thus, i chose something that would allow me to be in school.... forever...

j/k. i want to be a doctor for many reasons. i'll write a book after i obtain my MD.

Helping sick people gets my endorphins going.

...I could write a book.

Members don't see this ad :)
wow, what a mean guy

i just tink... that... as people who... want to be doctors they should... at least try... ... to not write like they... did not graduate high school... else it's like... like... you know?

Meh, I'm in a good mood, so I'll share rather than tell you to find your own reason like other (rightfully) are.

In short, because being a physician is the jack of all trades of my interests. All my interests and everything I want out of a career come together in varying degrees as a physician. I've always been the guy trying to decide between careers rather than trying to find one.

In what other career can you be a teacher, a scientist, a healer, and a businessman all rolled into one? In what other career can you go into work and directly make a major impact in a person's life while the next day doing research that may some day save thousands? In what other career can reach some of the highest peaks of education and mental endeavor while still getting to work with your hands? In what other career can you deal with both highly educated peers and John Q Public on a daily basis?

I mean certainly even in medicine you will have to make decisions and turn the slider down on some desires and up on others, but medicine really gives you so much control over those sliders and the kind of work you do.

Basically, I want to be a physician because it gives me the freedom to help people and society on multiple levels as well as satisfy my own convolved desires for a career.

this is a great answer to this question!!! best I have heard, I often wonder how to put why I want to be a doctor into words and this does it for sure (minor changes for me of course but very good:)!!!

I want to be a doctor so that I can be able to help sick people who have no one else to turn to in the way that I think is best.

There are some really bad docs where I live. One of them came into the room shaking his head and told my mother "I'm sorry, but all of these tests indicate that you are deaf" which she is not and had only come in complaining about her knee. Another perscribed me some acute arthritis medication for my minor tennis elbow.

I've had a lot of pretty horrendous medical problems in my family (one g-mom died of a ruptured brain aneurysm, the other had a stroke, one g-dad died of cancer, my step-brother just died of heart failure [21], I've been dealing with panic attacks for 5 years, my Aunt had to have part of her small bowel resected [diverticulitis]...).

Funny enough, though, none of that is the reason for me wanting to go into medicine. I had nothing to do after high school, and my sister suggested the scrub tech program. I started it, and from day one, I knew I wanted to go to medical school. I just really enjoy the science and practice of the field, and I'm one of those people who always wants to learn and do as much as he possibly can; I figured medical school was the best way to facilitate that.

I have a gift and can't seem to escape working in the medical field not matter how many times I've tried. I figure if I'm going to be stuck in a field, I might as well be at the top of the food chain and make a decent living while doing it.

However, I'll probably bull**** when it comes to the actual interviews just like everyone else. Something about how I had an epiphany while holding a dead African baby..... :laugh:

for those of you who answered seriously on this post, it would be a good idea to print it out and hold on to it. I remember myself in your shoes and my perspectives have changed a lot. I think it's inevitable that you will change as you progress but it's important to remember why you chose to go into the field initially. You'd be surprised how much you will change as you go through the process and you will really appreciate if you can one day look and read what "you" had to say 10 years ago.

Well there are several reasons why I want to become a doctor. Although my parents have always wanted to guide me towards this career, that was never my reason. Actually I did not realize my passion for healthcare until my junior year in college. After taking enough bio classes and working closely with doctors in the ER, I knew that this was what I wanted out of life.
I also think that being a doctor will give me the satisfaction making an impact on people's lives and the stability of a long-term career. I also enjoy the challenge that I will face everyday at work. (I dont think I can ever survive an office/cubicle job environment).

Please at least try to make your post comprehensible.
Go back to grammar school.

Haha and I agree, that is not very nice. I'm sure whoever wrote that was just venting.

Ten year high school reunion. At least I will appear respectable, even if I am not.

Ten year high school reunion. At least I will appear respectable, even if I am not.

I thought this was understood to be at least part of everyone's reason for going to medical school.

I want to do medical research (going for a MD/PhD...separately, my stats aren't good enough for one-shotting the thing).

I thought this was understood to be at least part of everyone's reason for going to medical school.

Absolutely. I am also training for a triathalon. So when I show up for my 10 year HS reunion, I can say to Kristen and the other girls, when they ask me what I have been doing...."well, Kristen, I just got my MD degree at this prestigious med school, and I also compete in triathalons which is why I look so damn good. But I am just starting this prestigious residency and, well, I will be working at the hospital for at least 80 hours a week during residency, so I may have to forgo the triathalons until I begin my medical practice in a highly paid specialty. At which point, hopefully, I can control my hours enough, to become a competitive athlete again." Or something like that. Or perhaps I will just rent that expensive car from Enterprise and Kristen can call me Moose, "hey Moose, looking good."

I'm planning on being an astronaut too. That way, when I go to my HS reunion, I can tell everyone that I am a pediatric cardiothoracic surgeon astronaut with two championship medals in Brazilian jiu jitsu and a best-selling novel (will have to find time to work on that last part).

I'm planning on being an astronaut too. That way, when I go to my HS reunion, I can tell everyone that I am a pediatric cardiothoracic surgeon astronaut with two championship medals in Brazilian jew jitsu and a best-selling novel (will have to find time to work on that last part).

I fixed that for you. ;) *

*Don't hurt me I'm Jewish too. :smuggrin:

I'm planning on being an astronaut too. That way, when I go to my HS reunion, I can tell everyone that I am a pediatric cardiothoracic surgeon astronaut with two championship medals in Brazilian jiu jitsu and a best-selling novel (will have to find time to work on that last part).

Impressive..hehe:laugh:
I wish this would work at my high school, but I already know of one pro-football player and one pro-baseball player, so the jocks win again. F-ers

I fixed that for you. ;) *

*Don't hurt me I'm Jewish too. :smuggrin:

HA! That was good. I think I want that shirt.

Speaking of Jew stuff, I looked up the meaning of the word ****. Apparently, it comes from the Yiddish word for "circle", which is kikel; Jews called each other that since most of the Ashkenazi Jews signed a circle at Ellis Island instead of a cross, since it reminded them of the Christian persecution from which they fled. I love when ethnic and racial slurs aren't derogatory in the slightest. It just makes it easier to laugh at some d-bag using it.

I wish this would work at my high school, but I already know of one pro-football player and one pro-baseball player, so the jocks win again. F-ers

Yeah, well we have our share of jocks too. One of our wrestlers set the national record for the fastest pin. But, I broke his little brother's arm senior year, so it's all good. :smuggrin:

HA! That was good. I think I want that shirt.

Speaking of Jew stuff, I looked up the meaning of the word ****. Apparently, it comes from the Yiddish word for "circle", which is kikel; Jews called each other that since most of the Ashkenazi Jews signed a circle at Ellis Island instead of a cross, since it reminded them of the Christian persecution from which they fled. I love when ethnic and racial slurs aren't derogatory in the slightest. It just makes it easier to laugh at some d-bag using it.

Yeah, well we have our share of jocks too. One of our wrestlers set the national record for the fastest pin. But, I broke his little brother's arm senior year, so it's all good. :smuggrin:
Interesting etymology...

Interesting etymology...
It's very similar to the use of the word "Kraut" for Germans. People who use it have no idea what the hell they are actually saying.

I think scrubs are pretty dang comfy. No, really, I do.

i was born with a birth mark that looks like ama symbol, you know, the medical symbol with the snakes and all. so my church, community and i agreed that it was a calling from god and that i should enter the medical field. i see big things in my future. so any school that does not admit me will be guilty of blasphemy and will be going against the big man himself.

To tell you the truth, it's a long journey that I will have to figure out why I want to become a doctor. But my characteristics and interests are leading me into that profession.

I love learning new things from science to art courses. I am very passionate in learning how our body works and how people think (sociology and psychology). I am a very social person to be with (when I'm very comfortable, I'm even more social). Even though I struggle with my academic courses, I still like the aspect of learning new material of how things work and why they work. After taking a two year break from high school, I am ready to take my goal as a challenge.

If you think about it, life is pretty simple, just do it, don't procrastinate.

Ditto. Only, instead of a break I just kept going. (which puts us in the same position, only I don't have to take eng101 etc now that I'm ready to actually do it.)

The "knew I wanted to be a doctor since I was born" is not always a lie. Literally, yes. However, we have pictures I drew when I was 4 years old of me being a doctor and I always said that was what I wanted to do since I could speak. I am going to end up going the PA route because I can still do what I want (practice medicine) while eliminating the cons of going into medicine. However, I literally have wanted this since I was 4. I tried to explore other options, but I always came back here.

Just pin a photo of Bill Gates as a college kid at Harvard on your bathroom mirror and you will feel better. He still looks like a geek. He did pretty well. And I say this as a guy who was a jock, in high school and college. So, no the jocks don't always win, but sometimes the jocks are not who you think they are. Just a thought.

I woke up one day and found a stethoscope around my neck. The rest is history.

I woke up one day and found a stethoscope around my neck. The rest is history.

My uncle breaks into bank vaults, and he tells the same story.

Makes you wonder who put it on you...

I wanna be a doctor because because I don't wanna get laid on or laid off in Dangerous Street. :eek:

The "knew I wanted to be a doctor since I was born" is not always a lie. Literally, yes. However, we have pictures I drew when I was 4 years old of me being a doctor and I always said that was what I wanted to do since I could speak. I am going to end up going the PA route because I can still do what I want (practice medicine) while eliminating the cons of going into medicine. However, I literally have wanted this since I was 4. I tried to explore other options, but I always came back here.

:laugh: When I was in first grade, I used to draw pictures of patients on a table and pretend to operate on them. I had "clamps" and other "instruments" that I'd use to fix them up, and then I'd "close" with tape. I used to make my sister be my scrub nurse.

I haven't seen any of these so far (which are accurate for a lot of people):
  1. I want to do it because my daddy won't love me if I don't.
  2. I want to do it because I want to get rich.
  3. I want to do it because I'm a self-indulgent *** and I want the letters after my name.
  4. I want to do it because that's what everyone in my family did.
  5. I want to do it because I want to wear the 'Trust me, I'm a doctor' sign of universal douchebaggery.
  6. I want to do it because I think chicks dig the white coat.
  7. I want to do it because I think I'm smarter than everyone else.
Instead, we see fake reasons like:
  1. I want to do it because I was born to do it.
  2. I want to do it because I have a passion for helping the needy.
  3. I want to do it because my mommy/daddy/brother got the flu once and I saw the heroism of the medical staff as they got out a pen and prescribed a drug.
  4. I want to do it because I want to help the rural areas with their primary care shortage.

Well, I don't care what my parents think. My mom just wants me to graduate from college, since my dad is the only person in our entire family that has, and she hates him. :laugh: If I did what my mom wanted, I'd get my BA and get a job. My dad doesn't really care what I do, since he lives 1000 miles away and barely talks to me. So, that's number 1. This also takes care of number 4, since no one in my family has graduated from college except for my father.

Number 2 is true, but not the only reason. I'd like to have a boat and a nice house someday. I'd also like to buy a dolphin from the aquarium, but I'm not sure that's possible.

I'm applying allopathic and osteopathic, and I'd actually prefer to go DO, so the letters after my name don't really mean much since most patients won't immediately recognize the DO and most physicians won't give a crap. That's number 3.

Number 5 is tricky. I don't plan on jumping out of my chair shouting, "I'M A DOCTOR!" when someone gets a paper cut; I would, however, offer to help out until the paramedics arrive if someone were injured.

Number 6 is moot since I'm in a committed relationship with a woman I plan on marrying.

And I am smarter than everyone else, so number 7 doesn't apply to me. :smuggrin:

As for the fake reasons, I have always thought medicine was cool (see story above), but I didn't want to go to medical school until a few years ago; I would like to help the needy insofar as those who need a doctor :laugh: ; I've had a lot of medical horror stories in my family, but none of them really had any impact on me deciding to go to medical school; and, I want to specialize, so ha.

Wow, this post is really long and worthless. :laugh:

I've always wondered if my real reason - it looks like a fun job to have - would be acceptable as an answer :laugh: Seriously - it looks like something that I would enjoy doing so much it wouldn't seem like a job. Of course, I have no idea how to put that into an acceptable answer, nor how it would be taken.

Yea, exactly.

Bugs Bunny was my inspiration. I just love hearing "Whats up Doc?" :laugh:

I want to do it because:

1) I shadowed a doctor and liked it, after either being apathetic towards or outright hating several office and research jobs.

2) Security: Financial (EVERY doctor makes at least good money), job (very few unemployed doctors), and moral (you know that what you're doing with your day is 'good'). It's funny how people think the last bit is always a lie for the ADCOMs, but the truth is if I don't feel like I'm doing something 'good' I feel quite miserable about myself. Positive effects of a Catholic education, I guess.

3) Independence: Health care providers are the last upper class small business owners. This isn't that important early in my career, but when I'm getting close to 50 I don't really want my career hinging on whether some ******* MBA thinks I demonstrate enough synnergy with their new 6 sigma plan.

4) Military: I've always wanted military service (no idea why), and Doctor is one of the few scientific, high paying jobs compatible with a military tour/career.

I WANNA BE RICH.......:eek:.....the hardest way.:eek::eek: