Why do you want to be a Pharmacist ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coolboy16

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well guys....this will be very interesting. Why I chose Pharmacy is becoz I think its the closest profession to medicine. I want to be a doctor, but things are not working out so I am into pharmacy now.

What about you guys? Why do you guys want to be a pharmacist. And do you think the demand of pharmacist will decrease in the next 2 decades.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi OP,

You should choose a profession which suits you well. Only Allah knows what the future holds.
Best of Luck!

Last edited:
Hi OP,

have you also considered a career in ophthalmology? It really is a great career and a "little different" from medicine.
http://www.opted.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3347Dont do pharmacy just because people tell you to. Do something because you enjoy it and can see yourself doing it for the rest of your life.
Have you also considered nursing, dentistry, veterinary medicine, law, accounting, computer science, business, engineering (electrical, mechanical, civil), political science, law enforcement, or grocery clerkship? Find your calling and follow your dreams wherever they may be. Pharmacy is not the only job out there.
Best of Luck!

You go to Optometry school to become an optometrist, not an ophthalmologist. The latter is a specialty of medicine, not a "little different."

Members don't see this ad :)
Well guys....this will be very interesting. Why I chose Pharmacy is becoz I think its the closest profession to medicine. I want to be a doctor, but things are not working out so I am into pharmacy now.

What about you guys? Why do you guys want to be a pharmacist. And do you think the demand of pharmacist will decrease in the next 2 decades.

It isn't the closest profession to medicine. Nursing, physician assistants are professions which are closer, just to name a couple.

I really like white coats.

I chose pharmacy school because I made the mistake of turning down medical school admission for a girl that I was madly in love with. I worked as a medicinal chemist to help her through grad school.

But then like so many cliche'd story, the girl didn't turn out to be the one. And it was too late for me to go back to medical school + 5 years of oncology residency. But medicinal chemistry and Pharm.D are right up my alley, so here I am. :smuggrin:

The moral of the story? Don't ever trust yourself when you are 21 and madly in love. They call it "madly" for a reason. Everyone can fail and betray you except yourself. :rolleyes:

I chose pharmacy school because I made the mistake of turning down medical school admission for a girl that I was madly in love with. I worked as a medicinal chemist to help her through grad school.

But then like so many cliche'd story, the girl didn't turn out to be the one. And it was too late for me to go back to medical school + 5 years of oncology residency. But medicinal chemistry and Pharm.D are right up my alley, so here I am. :smuggrin:

The moral of the story? Don't ever trust yourself when you are 21 and madly in love. They call it "madly" for a reason. Everyone can fail and betray you except yourself. :rolleyes:

A lesson to be learned from you......Great share.........I am still 19.....Looks like you have warned me lolz......

does anyone search on this forum?

Not if I can help it, no.

For myself? Mostly because I believe I'm capable of doing it, and it will give me an opportunity to have a relatively stable and well-paying career. Of course, this is what everyone wants... but I figure if there's a way to do both of these things while being able to make other people's lives a little better, then that's preferable, isn't it?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been working at family owned pharmacy since I was 13 back in my country. I enjoy talking to patients and very curious how drugs can react in human body. When I graduated from high school ( I was only 15, youngest in my class), I went to pharmacy school for one year. I did really enjoy learning those topics. But I didn't really like the educational system so I chose to study pharmacy in U.S. Now, I am on my way to accomplish my goal:D

because i was born to be one, lol. no kidding. i just realized ive been an amateur pharmacist my entire life. somehow i was completely oblivious to this fact until recently.

because i was born to be one, lol. no kidding. i just realized ive been an amateur pharmacist my entire life. somehow i was completely oblivious to this fact until recently.

Lol how? By selling illegally to your friends?

I like to count by fives. I also have an intuitive grasp of organic chemistry. It's a healthcare career (so it isn't going anywhere in any economy) that can't be outsourced or automated. You have to possess intelligence and a scientific mind, but you also have to be able to deal with people. The job is steady enough to offer stability but varied enough to keep you interested. Increasingly, the pharmacist is becoming the general practitioner, so it's very hands-on, day in/day out treatment of patients. I mean, you see your doctor when you're sick but you see your pharmacist every month, or more often, for your whole life.

Those are some of my reasons. The money isn't bad, either, but I could make similar (or better) money going into business for myself or as a lawyer or as an engineer or a software developer or... you have to find a career you can do for your whole life, not just one that pays well.

Me?
Because Ochem changed my life, because it shaped me as a person, disciplined me. I also like how chemist study and teach other people; they are not selfish people, they spread the love of chemistry, and are very good at math too. When I study with a chemist I understand things really well.

I want to go into pharm school to study with chemist, to view things differently, and have a good position in life.

Why, Pharmacy? because, although I want a degree in chemistry in the future, I also want to do pharmacy first, to learn from the other chemist about what chemistry is like; to go forward with many people who are experienced and learn from them. I am also doing this to get a girl haha?

I considered being a doctor, until I spent time in a doctor's office. Having crazy people coming up to you crying and asking you to refill their prescription of (insert narcotic here) day after day would make me hate my job. Being the guy who has to fill those orders is exceptionally easier. Plus, I get to fulfill my own mandate of knowing about medicine without having to touch and inspect various sorts of goo on people. All while making an obscene amount of money. And if I'm REALLY crazy, I'll apply to med school when it's all over.

Money isn't everything. But if you're going to be working your whole life, you might as well make good money doing it.

I'm very interested in how medication "helps" people, so that's why I wanted to pursue this field, not only that, but I love anatomy and physiology, and I believe that is the main core to pharmacy, like how the medication is distributed in the body, etc.

I'm very interested in how medication "helps" people, so that's why I wanted to pursue this field, not only that, but I love anatomy and physiology, and I believe that is the main core to pharmacy, like how the medication is distributed in the body, etc.
Yeah, AP2 was making urea + H20 = Urine; and showing the amine groups. Also it shows how co2 is breathed out and how HCL is made in the body.

I'm specifically talking about how drugs act like chemical messengers, what they actually do.

really? you do that in AP? I never really noticed.

really? you do that in AP? I never really noticed.
No, we don't discuss that in Anatomy and Physiology, I took other courses, like pharmacology, to understand how they actually work, fun, but really hard.

I hate pharmacokinetics, so annoying.

I considered being a doctor, until I spent time in a doctor's office. Having crazy people coming up to you crying and asking you to refill their prescription of (insert narcotic here) day after day would make me hate my job. Being the guy who has to fill those orders is exceptionally easier. Plus, I get to fulfill my own mandate of knowing about medicine without having to touch and inspect various sorts of goo on people. All while making an obscene amount of money. And if I'm REALLY crazy, I'll apply to med school when it's all over.

Money isn't everything. But if you're going to be working your whole life, you might as well make good money doing it.

LOL. You certainly make pharmacy sound better than being a physician.

So are you guys suggesting that pharmacists learn the bulk of what medical students learn? It's a given they'd have to understand physiology. I wonder if they're taught diagnostic skills. I saw a picture of a pharmacist practicing injections on an orange once. I thought that was odd.

Just don't say as much in your personal statement... and don't laugh. Plenty of people make this mistake. Although I shouldn't post the link, this was specifically addressed in the blog.

http://pharmacyschooladmissions.blogspot.com/2009/05/what-should-i-avoid-saying-in-my.html