Why do you want to be a physician?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

usermike8500

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How did you go about answering the interview question, "why do you want to be a physician?"

I feel like I'm faced with two options:

1. Sound like an airhead
"I wanna be a doctor cuz I like science and I wanna help people."

2. Sound like a pompous self-indulgent loathsome gunner
"While engaging in several award-winning research projects, I found the saliance of the RAS oncogene to squamous cell carcinoma to be of the utmost interest to me. Therefore, I conclude that it would behoove me to partake in the pursuit of a discipline, the nature of which, would do justice to my intellectual prowess...."

Neither one of these vomit-inducing answers is very attractive. How did you approach the question, "why do you want to be a physician?"

Members don't see this ad.

Be genunine, anything else is just lame.

Because being a doctor is fun! Duhs! :p

Members don't see this ad :)
because my original plans of growing up to be a princess aren't working out.

How did you go about answering the interview question, "why do you want to be a physician?"

I feel like I'm faced with two options:

1. Sound like an airhead
"I wanna be a doctor cuz I like science and I wanna help people."

2. Sound like a pompous self-indulgent loathsome gunner
"While engaging in several award-winning research projects, I found the saliance of the RAS oncogene to squamous cell carcinoma to be of the utmost interest to me. Therefore, I conclude that it would behoove me to partake in the pursuit of a discipline, the nature of which, would do justice to my intellectual prowess...."

Neither one of these vomit-inducing answers is very attractive. How did you approach the question, "why do you want to be a physician?"

LOL at the "utmost interest to me" part. I'd reject you on the spot if someone said something that dorky in an interview. :laugh:

Geez, thanks for all the thoughtful answers! ;) Just kidding

I think the question was too personal for this forum. I'm sure you guys all have your own reasons, hopefully I can find ways to articulate mine as well.

Geez, thanks for all the thoughtful answers! ;) Just kidding

I think the question was too personal for this forum. I'm sure you guys all have your own reasons, hopefully I can find ways to articulate mine as well.

Dude, honestly don't worry. Just think about it for a while. Be honest with yourself. Then just think of an outline of how you'd want to express yourself when asked during the interview. You'll get it soon enough. :thumbup:

I did use the "help people" as an undertone to my answer. Honestly its not cheesy if you don't say, "I want to help people."

Throw in a personal story or volunteer experience that sets "helping people" medically away from helping them in another way: garbage collector, barista, waiter, librarian.

I think the best answer is what is true. How did you actually decide that you wanted to become a doctor. If it really was just that doctors seem to make a lot of money and have power, then you are probably choosing the wrong profession. For most, their is a story of how it all came about.

My answer:

I want to be a physician because I want to know how the human body works.

I want to be a physician because I enjoy learning about disease and how we can eliminate it.

I want to be a physician because I enjoy solving puzzles and playing detective. I want the gratification of discovering the cause of a patient's symptoms and coming up with the appropriate plan of action to fix them.

I want to be a physician so I can be in the position of trust that patients have in their health care provider. (And by extension, I want to be in medical school/residency/fellowship so I can make sure that trust isn't wasted.)

I want to be a physician so I can share in the camaraderie that exists between fellow doctors in a hospital environment.

I want to be a physician so I can wear the white coat. To be proud that I was capable of sacrificing so much in order to have a job that means far more to me than a mere salary.

Members don't see this ad :)
My answer:

I want to be a physician because I want to know how the human body works.

I want to be a physician because I enjoy learning about disease and how we can eliminate it.

I want to be a physician because I enjoy solving puzzles and playing detective. I want the gratification of discovering the cause of a patient's symptoms and coming up with the appropriate plan of action to fix them.

I want to be a physician so I can be in the position of trust that patients have in their health care provider. (And by extension, I want to be in medical school/residency/fellowship so I can make sure that trust isn't wasted.)

I want to be a physician so I can share in the camaraderie that exists between fellow doctors in a hospital environment.

I want to be a physician so I can wear the white coat. To be proud that I was capable of sacrificing so much in order to have a job that means far more to me than a mere salary.

Good answer. :thumbup:

For me the reasons are highly personal. I hate death in all its forms. I lost my dad and a slew of other people who were near and dear to me. I know I'll be fighting a losing battle, but I want to give the bitch hell while I'm on this earth.

Just tell them it looked cool when you first considered it. It's the most honest answer one could give.

the powa and the moneh

the moneh and the powa

MINUTE
afta MINUTE

HOWA
afta HOWA

coolio%20your%20daily%20doggy%20style%20weblog%20cool%20hip%20hop%20blog.jpg

my parents are making me

Well House is a genius, but i do admitt JD and Turk would be a blast.:D

Yeah, and working with House would be way too dramatic.

I prefer a happy job!

I enjoy learning, and I want to go into a discipline that consists of learning throughout the rest of my life. However, I want to apply this earned intellect in practical situations.

I could go into astrophysics, engineering, and lots of other fields, but nothing is as hands on as being a practicing physician. And to add onto all of this, I enjoy helping people and am a pretty social person, and enjoy interacting with people, especially making them feel better in their bad times in life.

The question isn't so much why I'd want to be a physician as it is why I'd want to be anything other than a physician.