Why do you want to be a physician?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

usermike8500

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
How did you go about answering the interview question, "why do you want to be a physician?"

I feel like I'm faced with two options:

1. Sound like an airhead
"I wanna be a doctor cuz I like science and I wanna help people."

2. Sound like a pompous self-indulgent loathsome gunner
"While engaging in several award-winning research projects, I found the saliance of the RAS oncogene to squamous cell carcinoma to be of the utmost interest to me. Therefore, I conclude that it would behoove me to partake in the pursuit of a discipline, the nature of which, would do justice to my intellectual prowess...."

Neither one of these vomit-inducing answers is very attractive. How did you approach the question, "why do you want to be a physician?"

DaiCa86

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Be genunine, anything else is just lame.

Twiigg

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Because being a doctor is fun! Duhs! :p

HeatherMD

Queen of Passiveagressiva
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
because my original plans of growing up to be a princess aren't working out.

badasshairday

Vascular and Interventional Radiology
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How did you go about answering the interview question, "why do you want to be a physician?"

I feel like I'm faced with two options:

1. Sound like an airhead
"I wanna be a doctor cuz I like science and I wanna help people."

2. Sound like a pompous self-indulgent loathsome gunner
"While engaging in several award-winning research projects, I found the saliance of the RAS oncogene to squamous cell carcinoma to be of the utmost interest to me. Therefore, I conclude that it would behoove me to partake in the pursuit of a discipline, the nature of which, would do justice to my intellectual prowess...."

Neither one of these vomit-inducing answers is very attractive. How did you approach the question, "why do you want to be a physician?"

LOL at the "utmost interest to me" part. I'd reject you on the spot if someone said something that dorky in an interview. :laugh:

UNMorBUST

Mystery Man
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
" I want to work with Dr. House":D

usermike8500

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Geez, thanks for all the thoughtful answers! ;) Just kidding

I think the question was too personal for this forum. I'm sure you guys all have your own reasons, hopefully I can find ways to articulate mine as well.

badasshairday

Vascular and Interventional Radiology
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Geez, thanks for all the thoughtful answers! ;) Just kidding

I think the question was too personal for this forum. I'm sure you guys all have your own reasons, hopefully I can find ways to articulate mine as well.

Dude, honestly don't worry. Just think about it for a while. Be honest with yourself. Then just think of an outline of how you'd want to express yourself when asked during the interview. You'll get it soon enough. :thumbup:

Bacchus

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did use the "help people" as an undertone to my answer. Honestly its not cheesy if you don't say, "I want to help people."

Throw in a personal story or volunteer experience that sets "helping people" medically away from helping them in another way: garbage collector, barista, waiter, librarian.

NicoDuval

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think the best answer is what is true. How did you actually decide that you wanted to become a doctor. If it really was just that doctors seem to make a lot of money and have power, then you are probably choosing the wrong profession. For most, their is a story of how it all came about.

Terpskins99

Fear... The Stig
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My answer:

I want to be a physician because I want to know how the human body works.

I want to be a physician because I enjoy learning about disease and how we can eliminate it.

I want to be a physician because I enjoy solving puzzles and playing detective. I want the gratification of discovering the cause of a patient's symptoms and coming up with the appropriate plan of action to fix them.

I want to be a physician so I can be in the position of trust that patients have in their health care provider. (And by extension, I want to be in medical school/residency/fellowship so I can make sure that trust isn't wasted.)

I want to be a physician so I can share in the camaraderie that exists between fellow doctors in a hospital environment.

I want to be a physician so I can wear the white coat. To be proud that I was capable of sacrificing so much in order to have a job that means far more to me than a mere salary.

Members don't see this ad :)

teddybear

"Teddy"
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My answer:

I want to be a physician because I want to know how the human body works.

I want to be a physician because I enjoy learning about disease and how we can eliminate it.

I want to be a physician because I enjoy solving puzzles and playing detective. I want the gratification of discovering the cause of a patient's symptoms and coming up with the appropriate plan of action to fix them.

I want to be a physician so I can be in the position of trust that patients have in their health care provider. (And by extension, I want to be in medical school/residency/fellowship so I can make sure that trust isn't wasted.)

I want to be a physician so I can share in the camaraderie that exists between fellow doctors in a hospital environment.

I want to be a physician so I can wear the white coat. To be proud that I was capable of sacrificing so much in order to have a job that means far more to me than a mere salary.

Good answer. :thumbup:

For me the reasons are highly personal. I hate death in all its forms. I lost my dad and a slew of other people who were near and dear to me. I know I'll be fighting a losing battle, but I want to give the bitch hell while I'm on this earth.

Quadratic

Currently not in function
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just tell them it looked cool when you first considered it. It's the most honest answer one could give.

biophysicianai

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
the powa and the moneh

the moneh and the powa

MINUTE
afta MINUTE

HOWA
afta HOWA

coolio%20your%20daily%20doggy%20style%20weblog%20cool%20hip%20hop%20blog.jpg

Lukkie

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
my parents are making me

Twiigg

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well House is a genius, but i do admitt JD and Turk would be a blast.:D

Yeah, and working with House would be way too dramatic.

I prefer a happy job!

Crazyday

Junior in HS
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I enjoy learning, and I want to go into a discipline that consists of learning throughout the rest of my life. However, I want to apply this earned intellect in practical situations.

I could go into astrophysics, engineering, and lots of other fields, but nothing is as hands on as being a practicing physician. And to add onto all of this, I enjoy helping people and am a pretty social person, and enjoy interacting with people, especially making them feel better in their bad times in life.

majahops

YOU are great.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The question isn't so much why I'd want to be a physician as it is why I'd want to be anything other than a physician.