Why do you want to become a physician?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reason two: even in the event of zombie apocalypse, people will still need a bonesetter. Perhaps I could trade my services for live chickens or cartons of cigs if necessary. That is called job security.

Members don't see this ad.

Caught! Well, the adrenaline rush thing is only half-true. Funnily enough, I was exaggerating a bit because I saw The Hurt Locker yesterday and I thought it was a fantastic movie, so a moment of whimsy passed over me as I was typing out the reasons. :laugh: But I do manage to thrive on stress at times, which I would argue is a good asset for the job. Incidentally, what was your opinion on the movie?

But seriously, like those answers are so much worse than people who claim to be allured by power or money. I see nothing wrong with enjoying certain aspects that the job has to offer. And I think I have a better idea of what will make my life a fulfilling one than you do. :rolleyes: (Haha, that sounded a bit more snarky than I meant it to; don't get the impression that I harbor ill sentiments.) Those are just secondary things about the job that attract me though. The main reasons why, that I'd mention less jokingly, stem from stuff that's pretty personal, and I wouldn't post in a public thread. If you really want to know, I'll tell you some time. :) But here, it'll suffice to say that I have reasons a-plenty.

If your reasons stem from some personal trauma, or the illness of a family member, etc., be very careful with listing this as your reason(s) for becoming a physician. I have read more than a few "as I stood frustrated over my dying grandmother..." themed personal statements, none of which revealed any genuine understanding of the "right" reasons to become a doctor.

I liked the movie, but did not love it as much as everyone else seems to...in the Oscar race, I prefer "An Education," "Avatar," and "Up in the Air."

dude you will get sued.

edit: i am so, so sorry that rhymed. but seriously when that guy doesn't recover perfectly his lawyer friend he was eating with will advise him to sue you. :(

Nope. Good Samaritan Law FTW!

Members don't see this ad :)
Think of your own answer. I'll let you know when my season is done ;)

:thumbup: Come on already.

1. At this point, I'd think I would give bonus points to the person that would be forthright enough to say, b/c it pays better than McDonalds. :rolleyes:

2. Um, this is all about individual mental processing, period. Adcoms don't want to hear or read someone else's PS. They want to read, specifically, your PS. If you have problems with this, you need to seriously re-think yourself.

If this is posted for kicks, sorry. Number 2. still applies.

And to answer the OP's question.

What I said in interviews: A lot of BS about how I felt that medicine stands alone amongst all other fields because of the altruistic goals, how am intrigued by the doctor-patient relationship, how there is a balance between intellectual stimulation and time with people, how the level of responsibility is appealing, etc.

What I really think: It would suck less than most other careers. I feel that the benefits outweigh the drawbacks (although many doctors disagree). Working in a cubicle would make me want to die.

However, if you're writing your PS or trying to think of answers for interviews, be prepared to answer follow-up questions: "If you want to help people so much, why not just be a nurse/counselor/EMT/etc?" "If you love biological science, why not just be a researcher?" Your answers to the above questions must be airtight, because they are really looking for people who have thought this through. If you can't put the reasoning as to why you want to be a doctor in words for yourself, keep trying, because "I just do" or "I want to help people but also love science" simply won't cut it.

Also, a side note, you can give the exact same answer to two different interviewers and one may find it genuine and compelling, and the other laugh out loud at you. This has happened to me. Unfortunately, like it or not, the ways that they score your performance at interviews are EXTREMELY subjective.

And to answer the OP's question.

What I said in interviews: A lot of BS about how I felt that medicine stands alone amongst all other fields because of the altruistic goals, how am intrigued by the doctor-patient relationship, how there is a balance between intellectual stimulation and time with people, how the level of responsibility is appealing, etc.

What I really think: It would suck less than most other careers. I feel that the benefits outweigh the drawbacks (although many doctors disagree). Working in a cubicle would make me want to die.

However, if you're writing your PS or trying to think of answers for interviews, be prepared to answer follow-up questions: "If you want to help people so much, why not just be a nurse/counselor/EMT/etc?" "If you love biological science, why not just be a researcher?" Your answers to the above questions must be airtight, because they are really looking for people who have thought this through. If you can't put the reasoning as to why you want to be a doctor in words for yourself, keep trying, because "I just do" or "I want to help people but also love science" simply won't cut it.

Also, a side note, you can give the exact same answer to two different interviewers and one may find it genuine and compelling, and the other laugh out loud at you. This has happened to me. Unfortunately, like it or not, the ways that they score your performance at interviews are EXTREMELY subjective.

Nice GPA GTV. Sorry this happened to you. I heard people do this to others in interviews or pre-interviews (health-care job related interviews, not med school interviews). To me, if someone laughs or spews aloud in those kinds of instances, it shows a MAJOR lack of class. If the interviewer has an issue or finds the interviewee's statement as somehow disingenuous, they should be classy and professional. They should just write down their take or speak to it within the confines of the committee, and then keep it the hell to themselves in front of the interviewee. To do otherwise is just classless *****ic, unprofessional behavior IMO. (See you can "educate" some folks, but it will never make them classy--or professional for that matter.)

On interviews, I don't know how anyone can really take the big subjectivity factor out of it. Now when they are evaluating people across the whole in terms of performance, more objective evaluation measures matter. Again, there I'm speaking more with regard to actual job performance--or whether or not someone has actually met some standard for something, etc.

But interviews will always be subjective--and you need wise, fair, balanced professional people to sit on those committees.

Since after some point there is a significant subjectivity factor, well, this is why I don't know that it is a bad thing that they make the first cut based on GPA and MCAT scores. The first cut is more objective, but when you make it to the second phase, well, subjectivity will, at least temporarily, take control. All you can do it your best.

I'm glad you got in somewhere, even though you wanted the other school more.

You're right. At the end of the day, you'll be a doctor, and as I love to say (though some might want to smack me for it) hopefully one day a physician. I say this for a reason.

See, I look at the title (M.D. or D.O--doctors of medicine) as different from actually becoming and growing into a physician. That is my own personal bias there. But I think the two in RL ("Dr" versus "physician") are like night and day. Some that I have worked with are doctors b/c they earned it by virtue of certain requirements. Others are beyond that and are truly physicians. If I refer to someone as a physician, it usually means I have loads of respect for them, beyond their meeting the requirements of getting there.

Last edited:
Basic fascination of anatomy/physiology.

Love people watching but being a licensed voyeur into people's lives is even more fascinating. I'm into each person's story.

Because I tried other things and they sucked.

I want to become a phyiscian because I believe I am called to serve and I find healthcare to be the most personally fulfilling way to do that. There is no other job that impassions, challenges, and drives me the way medicine does.

On a personal note I want to go to medical school to prove to myself that I can make it. I want to fight like he!! to succeed and enjoy the satisfaction of looking up and smiling when I hear my name called aloud at medical school graduation. I want the satisfaction of introducing myself with 'Dr.' in front of my last name. :)

If your reasons stem from some personal trauma, or the illness of a family member, etc., be very careful with listing this as your reason(s) for becoming a physician. I have read more than a few "as I stood frustrated over my dying grandmother..." themed personal statements, none of which revealed any genuine understanding of the "right" reasons to become a doctor.

I liked the movie, but did not love it as much as everyone else seems to...in the Oscar race, I prefer "An Education," "Avatar," and "Up in the Air."

I didn't think his answers were too bad. How would you answer that question?

is it contradictory to be at once trying to improve people's health and at the same time peddling them sugary/buttery/simple carbohydrate-y delights?

I can be the one exception. And my patients don't have to know I taste-test pastry goodies on the side. ;)

big money baby!!

Note: I'm jk.. if I wanted big money.. i won't be wasting all this cash on eucation

For those of you who have interviewed...

ever wonder if you're saying something along the lines of ' i like to work with people blah blah blah" and the interviewer is nodding at you pleasantly but in their head they're thinking "YOU THINK THATS WHAT YOU'RE DOING? JUST WAIT UNTIL REALITY GETS A HOLD OF YOU". kind of thing?

I've interviewed people before for something else and I've thought that but continued to smile and nod....

I didn't think his answers were too bad. How would you answer that question?

What have you done to flesh out your initial interest in medicine, whatever that first spark of interest was? How have you tested your interest? How well do you understand the commitment, the stress, the hours? What about the doctor gig gives you pause? What do you think doctors do, day in and day out? Do you really think the average doctor is doing "life saving, adrenaline rush" stuff?

Answer these - demonstrate your preparation, and demonstrate your understanding of what doctors do, and hopefully align those realities with your goals, and you will be well on your way to writing a good PS, and you will be prepared for any questions of "why medicine?"

What have you done to flesh out your initial interest in medicine, whatever that first spark of interest was? How have you tested your interest? How well do you understand the commitment, the stress, the hours? What about the doctor gig gives you pause? What do you think doctors do, day in and day out? Do you really think the average doctor is doing "life saving, adrenaline rush" stuff?

Answer these - demonstrate your preparation, and demonstrate your understanding of what doctors do, and hopefully align those realities with your goals, and you will be well on your way to writing a good PS, and you will be prepared for any questions of "why medicine?"

Fair enough, but that doesn't mean that finding medicine exciting, or wanting to help people hands-on while using your science skillz, or whatever it is that moves you, are bad reasons for wanting to be a physician. In fact if those things are not still there as motivators at the end of the day, even after you understand what you can about the mundane/annoying/stressful aspects, shouldn't you consider another field?

Last edited:
I want to become a phyiscian because I believe I am called to serve and I find healthcare to be the most personally fulfilling way to do that. There is no other job that impassions, challenges, and drives me the way medicine does.

this is bull

On a personal note I want to go to medical school to prove to myself that I can make it. I want to fight like he!! to succeed and enjoy the satisfaction of looking up and smiling when I hear my name called aloud at medical school graduation. I want the satisfaction of introducing myself with 'Dr.' in front of my last name. :)

this is not

Fair enough, but that doesn't mean that finding medicine exciting, or wanting to help people hands-on while using your science skillz, or whatever it is that moves you, are bad reasons for wanting to be a physician. In fact if those things are not still there as motivators at the end of the day, even after you understand what you can about the mundane/annoying/stressful aspects, shouldn't you consider another field?

Nothing wrong with the reasons you listed.

Higher up in the thread I challenged someone who cited "adrenaline rush" among other things - from what I have observed, most of medicine has nothing to do with "adrenaline" rush. Thrill seekers should find another field...

Same poster said he wanted a "meaningful life" - well, umm, who doesn't? Sounds like a thinly veiled grab for approval from others to me...or worse, a put down of people in "lesser" careers as if their jobs are less meaningful...

I also questioned people who cite as their motivation some personal trauma, or illness, or the illness of a family member...this is a trite premise for becoming a physician, although it is a very common PS thesis from what I have seen.

Your reasons are your reasons alone, but having read hundreds of these PS's, I am simply telling you what I think works well, and what I think fails...take it, or leave it.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with the reasons you listed.

Higher up in the thread I challenged someone who cited "adrenaline rush" among other things - from what I have observed, most of medicine has nothing to do with "adrenaline" rush. Thrill seekers should find another field...

Same poster said he wanted a "meaningful life" - well, umm, who doesn't? Sounds like a thinly veiled grab for approval from others to me...or worse, a put down of people in "lesser" careers as if their jobs are less meaningful...

I also questioned people who cite as their motivation some personal trauma, or illness, or the illness of a family member...this is a trite premise for becoming a physician, although it is a very common PS thesis from what I have seen.

Your reasons are your reasons alone, but having read hundreds of these PS's, I am simply telling you what I think works well, and what I think fails...take it, or leave it.

You're dissecting my post way too thoroughly. I don't put that much thought into what I post on SDN. :p (Maybe that's why it was misinterpreted so much? haha.) I didn't mean to be condescending at all with the "meaningful life" bit. There are reasons why I believe that being a physician will give me, personally, a meaningful life. I did not mean to insinuate that this is the one and only meaningful path that people can take, or that I want to take this path simply because it's a "better" career. I meant to insinuate that it's the most meaningful path I can take. Different people will find different ways of making their lives meaningful. I believe this is mine.

Since you seem so willing to help, how about once I write my personal statement, you get to read it. Then you can tell me what you think. :)

You're dissecting my post way too thoroughly. I don't put that much thought into what I post on SDN. :p (Maybe that's why it was misinterpreted so much? haha.) I didn't mean to be condescending at all with the "meaningful life" bit. There are reasons why I believe that being a physician will give me, personally, a meaningful life. I did not mean to insinuate that this is the one and only meaningful path that people can take, or that I want to take this path simply because it's a "better" career. I meant to insinuate that it's the most meaningful path I can take. Different people will find different ways of making their lives meaningful. I believe this is mine.

Since you seem so willing to help, how about once I write my personal statement, you get to read it. Then you can tell me what you think. :)

Send it my way...glad to help.