Why do you want to become an Optometrist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rusunn

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so far i have asked to 4 doctors this: why do you want to become an Optometrist? two optometrist said, "I dont know" LOL :laugh: I was very surprized. I would thought they would know after 10 years of practicing. the 3rd doctor, didnt literally say "i dont know", but he gave a lame answer,lol, not one that i was satisfied with. The 4th doctor actually gave a good answer, he was an optican for several years and realize he could do better. So i will ask you guys the question: WHY do you guys want to become optometrists???? (dont say i want to help people, i hear that countless times from pre-health students)

Members don't see this ad.

That's a good question...What's YOUR reason for applying to optometry school? That's usually a good question to ask yourself prior to applying to optometry school. You could expand on your answer, and it'd make the best essay because it came out of you.

Reactions: 1 user
You might want to run a search on this forum. There are many similar questions that have been answered before.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rusunn said:
so far i have asked to 4 doctors this: why do you want to become an Optometrist? This is also the topic of an essay which I have to submit with my application to optomety school. two optometrist said, "I dont know" LOL :laugh: I was very surprized. I would thought they would know after 10 years of practicing. the 3rd doctor, didnt literally say "i dont know", but he gave a lame answer,lol, not one that i was satisfied with. The 4th doctor actually gave a good answer, he was an optican for several years and realize he could do better. So i will ask you guys the question: WHY do you guys want to become optometrists???? (dont say i want to help people, i hear that countless times from pre-health students)

a girl in her interview answered to that question,
"I couldn't get into med school. "do u think she got into optometry school? :-D

be honest to yourself and to the opt schools. that's all.

in all honesty no one can answer that question for you besides yourself....you need to find a reason why you want this profession...and if you are applying for fall 2006 and dont know that answer yet, you should definitely do some soul searching...im not trying to be mean just honest

Why did you want to become an optometrist?

Well, it's a profession where you make a REAL difference in someone's life. There are only a few things in this world more gratifying than getting a person who had no idea that they were seeing, say, 20/400, to seeing 20/20 in a matter of minutes, and going "WOW!" This is sometimes overlooked in optometry but at the root of it all, its amazing when you sit back and really think about the impact you just had on that person at that moment and for the rest of their lives. Vision is such an integral part in our lives and as (future) optometrists, to have such an impact on this aspect of life, is truly humbling.

Other reasons include:
1. You are your own boss
2. Respected profession in the big scheme of things and well compensated in the big scheme of things
3. If you decide to go private practice, it's a nice blend of business and healthcare. You can be an entrepreneur while being an optometrist at the same time.
4. Cool toys and a dynamic field with regards to such.
5. Patient interaction and the potential for long term patient-Dr. relationships
6. Relatively low stress
7. Ophthalmology safety net - whatever you dont feel comfortable treating, you can always refer.

But keep in mind, what are positives in the above list can also be slanted as negatives to others. For instance, #7 unexpectedly turned into a negative for me. As well, as the above post states, no one can really answer this question for you as the answers will run the gamut. But I understand what you're trying to get at so here are my two cents.

Rusunn said:
so far i have asked to 4 doctors this: why do you want to become an Optometrist? This is also the topic of an essay which I have to submit with my application to optomety school. two optometrist said, "I dont know" LOL :laugh: I was very surprized. I would thought they would know after 10 years of practicing. the 3rd doctor, didnt literally say "i dont know", but he gave a lame answer,lol, not one that i was satisfied with. The 4th doctor actually gave a good answer, he was an optican for several years and realize he could do better. So i will ask you guys the question: WHY do you guys want to become optometrists???? (dont say i want to help people, i hear that countless times from pre-health students)

For the chicks!!!

i knew it!.....much much disappointment....my future colleagues in optometry :confused: :scared: :eek:

vtrain said:
Why did you want to become an optometrist?

Well, it's a profession where you make a REAL difference in someone's life. There are only a few things in this world more gratifying than getting a person who had no idea that they were seeing, say, 20/400, to seeing 20/20 in a matter of minutes, and going "WOW!" This is sometimes overlooked in optometry but at the root of it all, its amazing when you sit back and really think about the impact you just had on that person at that moment and for the rest of their lives. Vision is such an integral part in our lives and as (future) optometrists, to have such an impact on this aspect of life, is truly humbling.

Other reasons include:
1. You are your own boss
2. Respected profession in the big scheme of things and well compensated in the big scheme of things
3. If you decide to go private practice, it's a nice blend of business and healthcare. You can be an entrepreneur while being an optometrist at the same time.
4. Cool toys and a dynamic field with regards to such.
5. Patient interaction and the potential for long term patient-Dr. relationships
6. Relatively low stress
7. Ophthalmology safety net - whatever you dont feel comfortable treating, you can always refer.

But keep in mind, what are positives in the above list can also be slanted as negatives to others. For instance, #7 unexpectedly turned into a negative for me. As well, as the above post states, no one can really answer this question for you as the answers will run the gamut. But I understand what you're trying to get at so here are my two cents.
VTRAIN are you in med school?