SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Why do you want to come to our school?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by MoeDaMan, Jul 9, 2001.

1. MoeDaMan

MoeDaMan Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jul 2, 2001
    I know how to respond to this question for schools I know why I want to go there?

But how do you go about writing an essay, about a school, which you just picked just to increaes your chances?

I know everybody has personal reasons for going to a particular school. However, there are some common factors that everybody picks a school to go to e.g. reputation, cheap tuition etc....

Other those common factors, what else can you include? I mean, how would I know how good the curriculum is, or how good their faculty are, or how happy the students are? To be honest, I have one or two favorite schools, but the rest are just to increase my chances? anybody have the same problem? and please no disparaing or belittling remarks, thank you :D

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Col_4:14

Col_4:14 Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Moedaman,
    Check out their website and find some interesting things about the school in question. This is helped me!!

4. star23

star23 Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Apr 24, 2001
    I think part of the reason they ask this question is to see if you actually know anything about their school. The way I handled it was to research the curriculum, support services, etc. that may be unique to the school. I then mentioned that I thought these programs would be particularly beneficial to me for one reason or another. It was actually interesting to research this for each school as it allowed me to get a feel (pre-interview) about how or why I might fit into their campus.

5. BeckyG

BeckyG Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jun 5, 2001
    CA
    Another good resource for answering this question is the MSAR (medical school admissions requirements) book. As the entries are written by the medical schools themselves, it highlights the programs and features of the school that the directors/admissions committees feel are most important. When I was in doubt about what to write, I would look at the MSAR and the school's webstite and talk about the UNIQUE features of the school that made me want to apply to them. Also, if you have friends or family in the school's region, mention that as well. Good luck!

6. MoeDaMan

MoeDaMan Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jul 2, 2001
    WOW guys, thank you so much for your advice :D

u guyz are Da best thanks :) I will look into it ASAP....(cuz to be honest, I dont know a thing about half the schools I am applying to :rolleyes: ). I will look into those resources...I am sure they are going to help...

7. electra

electra SDN Moderator 7+ Year Member

Apr 20, 2001
    Michigan
    moe, you should take this advice.....for many schools, by the time you get an interview, you are 75% in...the schools want to make sure that you will be happy there. If you know something about the school in general, you will not only apply to the right schools,(which increases your chances even more) but help you to manage your interview, instead of looking like a student who wanted to "increase thier chances."