Teva

7+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2009
Status
Pharmacy Student
Hi All,

I am working on my supplemental apps and I came across several school asking "why do you wish to attend our pharm school." So I go online and look at what their emphasis are on, etc. Base on that, I praise them on their academic objective that I agree on. Is that the right way to go? I feel like I am just regurgitating what they have on their website. Any other advice on how to attack this question?

Jul 15, 2009
Orange County
Status
Pharmacy Student
during my interview for UOP this year I got a similiar question...basically I played it off that I really liked the campus and felt comfortable there and that it had a nice environment for me to study in.

the route you're going is fine, but I would include other reasons (try to find something...) that are not academic related...

diastole

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2008
Where the sun don't shine
Status
Pharmacist
This was one of my best answers in my interview I think. I said I wanted to go to their school because I thought I would be a good fit and then gave the reasons why. I think the adcoms are looking for students who would be a good fit into their programs so if you can help them along to envision you as that student, it can only help you.

DoctorRx1986

10+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2008
Florida
Status
Pharmacy Student
Honestly, I just lied about this one. I think that's a pretty pointless question because in the end, most people just care about going to pharmacy school, learning, and getting out with their PharmD. I wish we could live in a more honest type of world and speak the truth, as in, "I'm interested in attending any reputable pharmacy school so long as I get my degree, there's really nothing special here." When you're applying for a part-time job and the interviewer asks you, "So, why do you want to work for us?" , what's the point of asking that? It's just a part-time job and so long as I don't have to bust my ***, I'm just there because I want the money I need to live...I don't give two pennies about your company. But whatever. :rolleyes:

Hels2007

I bite
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2007
Status
Pharmacist
Is being honest not en vogue anymore? Wow, I must be old. :D

xtsukiyox

Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
May 19, 2009
Status
Pharmacy Student
Is being honest not en vogue anymore? Wow, I must be old. :D
Eh, if your only reason is "You're cheap and you'll give me the 5 letters I need on the end of my name to get a six-figure income" - honesty don' look too good. :laugh:

I am interested any other good responses people have to this question. :D

Passion4Sci

LML
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2009
Palo Alto, CA
Status
Pharmacy Student
I would focus on anything that makes that school unique. Do they have research programs that you can get into that'll make you stand out from the crowd of Pharm.D graduates? How about a post-graduate rotation or residency? Reputation is also an excellent selling point.

Obviously this depends on what school you're talking about. California Northstate doesn't have as much going for it as UCSF does in terms of breadth of awesomeness, owing mostly to its young age. That's just an example, but I know when I sit for the interviews in the coming months, I'll be very knowledgeable about the programs available at UCSF, USC and UoP and will be able to talk at length about them, why they're important to the community, and why I'd like to be a part of them.

koercive

Industry HE&OR, Large Cap Pharma
Partner Organization
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2005
New Jersey
www.pharmapplicants.com
Status
Pharmacist
I went into specifics at my interviews / PS about strong points about each program.

For example, UCSF provides you with a unique opportunity in 3 different pathways that prepare you for the field you are interested in.

For USC, I talked about my interest in their externship opportunities with Allergan. I also mentioned how I visited their new hosptial and was able to see where pharmacists work in the ICU and how I knew that was one of places pharmacy students went to do their rotations.

I would go deeper than "#1 school in the nation" / "highly ranked school"

Farmercyst

From the shadows
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2006
The bottom of a pile of debt.
Status
Pharmacist
I would focus on anything that makes that school unique. Do they have research programs that you can get into that'll make you stand out from the crowd of Pharm.D graduates? How about a post-graduate rotation or residency? Reputation is also an excellent selling point.

Obviously this depends on what school you're talking about. California Northstate doesn't have as much going for it as UCSF does in terms of breadth of awesomeness, owing mostly to its young age. That's just an example, but I know when I sit for the interviews in the coming months, I'll be very knowledgeable about the programs available at UCSF, USC and UoP and will be able to talk at length about them, why they're important to the community, and why I'd like to be a part of them.
You should be fun to interview.:D Problem is, I make a point not to find out if you're on SDN before, during, or after the interview.

Based on Koercive's comments, I know I didn't interview him.