Why do you want to go to the school you want to go to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

liger

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why are certain schools your top choices? Are you going based on ranking, cost, location, etc? This might be better with a poll but I'm not sure how to do that.

Members don't see this ad.

liger said:
Why are certain schools your top choices? Are you going based on ranking, cost, location, etc? This might be better with a poll but I'm not sure how to do that.

I like Morehouse. For one I went to Morehouse College and i love the environment of the Atlanta University Center, and ATL as a whole. I also like their above average on the boards, a lot of the time 100% and they have a pretty good 1st choice match rate.

Members don't see this ad :)
At the moment, I'd say location is the most important factor, but that could change if I get interviews. If I could stay in California that would trump everything else, but if not then structure of the third year would become more important.

1) location
2) clinical rotations
3) student body
-mota

jrdnbenjamin said:
At the moment, I'd say location is the most important factor, but that could change if I get interviews. If I could stay in California that would trump everything else, but if not then structure of the third year would become more important.

What about the structure of the third year? Aren't they usually the same?

1) location
2) curriculum
3) student body/feel of the school
4) prestige/ranking

These are basically the factors that will determine where I go, if I have the luxury of choosing from multiple schools. At this point I think I do have a favorite, but I don't even know if they'll give me an interview. Location is definitely most important for me, though, for personal reasons.

GPACfan said:
What about the structure of the third year? Aren't they usually the same?
Usually the required rotations are similar, but affiliated hospitals, grading (% shelf exam), and administrative setups are not the same everywhere. Some schools allow for electives in the third year (Tulane, for example) and others start the clinical rotations early (UPenn, UVM) which is advantageous if you want to try out an unusual specialty early before trying to set up for residency apps in fourth year. Duke's "third year" is actually in the second year, and they waive their research year if you already have a PhD, so I could graduate in three years from there.

So yeah, there are some differences. But I'd still pick any UC or USC first.

I want to go to U Penn because they have a really great website. Also, Rittenhouse has this restaurant that serves one of the best cheeseburgers in the world. The world I tell you.

If I am fortunate enough to be accepted to multiple schools, the deciding factor for me is location, location, location. ;)

I will go solely by US News ranking. ;)

1. relaxed enviornment
2. money
3. ranking

Mr. Adventure said:
I want to go to U Penn because they have a really great website. Also, Rittenhouse has this restaurant that serves one of the best cheeseburgers in the world. The world I tell you.
Yeah, it's all about the best websites and best brochures!

Haha, that's funny Mr. Adventure. In reality, though, my rankings will go according to the following:
1. Location (in-state vs. out-of-state, urban/rural, clinics, city life, etc.)
2. Curriculum (traditional vs. PBL, systems, etc.)
3. Focus on primary care (research is good too), great clinical exp
4. Student and faculty diversity and ratio
5. Prestige
6. Student Body

Based on these factors, I am hoping to end up at UH, USC, or UW next fall.

kalenakai said:
Yeah, it's all about the best websites and best brochures!

It really is all about the websites...especially when your not in the continental U.S. :D

I haven't applied yet, but the schools I plan on applyng to, I plan on doing so because of the following:

Location, curriculum, diversity of clinical facilities and/or opportunities, diversity of student body, match lists, etc. These are just some of the things I'm considering.

Oh and cost is also important in the decision. But we'll see.

tigress said:
1) location
2) curriculum
3) student body/feel of the school
4) prestige/ranking

These are basically the factors that will determine where I go, if I have the luxury of choosing from multiple schools. At this point I think I do have a favorite, but I don't even know if they'll give me an interview. Location is definitely most important for me, though, for personal reasons.

No kidding, where I'm accepted is kind of the determining factor as to where I'll go. But, I did apply to schools where I'd be willing to live and that had a good reputation for caring about what kind of physicians they are training their students to be. In all honesty, though, I'd be happy to get an acceptance anywhere.