Why do you want to join this lab and what do you hope to gain from it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nothing101

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I applied for a research lab and it has to do with muscles. And these questions might be in the interview. So, how should I answer these questions? I dont want to blank out during the interview. Thanks in advance !

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know...somewhat honestly

Reactions: 4 users
Just make sure you know what the lab does, maybe talk about past classes you took and how the subject matter that interested you there motivated you to look for labs on similar topics. Or some other motivation you have for wanting to work in that lab, I don't know your life, lol. What you hope to gain from it may be the ability to form and test your own hypotheses, how to think critically like a scientist, maybe this is your first lab experience and you just want an introduction to research, etc. All the lab interviews I've done haven't really been too intense, perhaps just read a few papers that the lab has recently put out in preparation. Good luck! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I heard your lab doesn't require a usage log for the chloroform.

Reactions: 11 users
Hi,
these questions might be in the interview. So, how should I answer these questions? I dont want to blank out during the interview. Thanks in advance !
maybe you should answer the question. This is the equivalent of someone posting a secondary prompt and saying "how should I answer this?" nobody's going to do your work for you, except for beyonce2.0

Reactions: 1 users
I'm interested in your lab because I'd like more experience in research. To me, one of the most interesting things about research is the fact that you're able to appreciate all of the intricacies of a topic that at first seems simple. I think muscles are a perfect example of this. Everyone uses them every day, but most people never even stop to think about all of the inner workings of muscles. There's still so much that we can learn about the way muscles work, and knowing more about muscles can only help in finding a cure for diseases that affect muscles, such as muscular dystrophy.

By working in your lab, I hope to improve my abilities as a scientist. I also hope to make a meaningful contribution to the study of muscles because it's a cause that I think is important.

So there you have it. I'd say it's at least 25% BS, but whatever. We all know the real reason why people join research labs is to get into med school. Why else would anyone work for free?

Honestly, the whole research thing is such a scam. IMO students shouldn't be allowed to work for free.

Hi,
I applied for a research lab and it has to do with muscles. And these questions might be in the interview. So, how should I answer these questions? I dont want to blank out during the interview. Thanks in advance !
Q: Why do you want to join our muscles lab?
A: Cause chicks like muscles.
There is a solid 3% chance this answer will work....I say go for it and see what happens. :)

Reactions: 1 user