Why doctor and not nurse?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

suzie4399

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all! I have an interview coming up and I'm almost 100% sure they will ask me why I want to be a doctor and not a nurse... How to you tactfully answer this? I don't want to sound negative about nursing in any way, but very sure that medicine is the path for me...
Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, what do doctors do? And what do nurses do? You want to be a doctor because physicians do insert answer here.
Just think about this as an extended "Why medicine?" question.

nurses and doctors are both looked at as sex objects. however, the doctor always has control whereas the nurse doesn't.
-mota

Members don't see this ad :)
DaMota said:
nurses and doctors are both looked at as sex objects. however, the doctor always has control whereas the nurse doesn't.
-mota

:thumbup:

DaMota said:
-mota
It's like you read my mind.
Anyway, to answer the OP's question, nurses are sexy and you want to be a doctor because physicians do the hot nurses.

If I were ever asked this question, I'd like my interviewer in the eye and say,

"Because I'm a MAN. A man who discovered the wheel and built the Eiffel Tower out of metal and brawn. That's what kind of man I am."

ND2005 said:

"Because I'm a MAN. A man who discovered the wheel and built the Eiffel Tower out of metal and brawn. That's what kind of man I am."

hey i am a senior med student trying to organize a site to help all premeds. if you could check it out and put in your 2 cents at www.scutmunkey.com i would really appreciate it. as for your specific questions i can only say that the best approach would be the most honest. doctors have a much broader education than nursing staff and they have many more choices with their career. they are also the ones that make the most direct and positive impact on ppl. nurses are great for support but at the end of the day it is the doctor that is most responsible for what happens to the pt.

ND2005 said:

Fastest rejection ever.

:laugh:

You have to have reasons for wanting to go into medicine right? If you want to "help" people then they will hammer you about nursing, social work, stripping, etc. I had to think this out for myself a while ago. Shadow a doctor and a nurse and see the difference.

Because nurses do menial bull**** work like douche the patients all the time. I was volunteering at the hospital one time and this nurse was like "Why dont you be a nurse? Nurses are few and far between. You should be one" Im like "Ok after that convincing argument I think I will be a nurse now" She knew I was being sarcastic though and got pissed off at me.... lol PWNED.[/size=4]

MEG@COOL said:
Because nurses do menial bull**** work like douche the patients all the time. I was volunteering at the hospital one time and this nurse was like "Why dont you be a nurse? Nurses are few and far between. You should be one" Im like "Ok after that convincing argument I think I will be a nurse now" She knew I was being sarcastic though and got pissed off at me.... lol PWNED.[/size=4]

they really should start douching some patients :rolleyes:

I don't wanna be a Murse (male nurse)...I don't look goode in a skirt.
Plus, I like making decisions as opposed to taking orders.
Nurses are important, just not my cup of tea.

ericL said:
I don't wanna be a Murse (male nurse)...I don't look goode in a skirt.

Only on an anyonomous forum would you hear a quip like that . . . the ER nurses I know would rip that kind of mental midget a new one. Male or female, makes no difference . . . he's insulted both.

Plus, I like making decisions as opposed to taking orders.

Why, given the wealth of healthcare experience floating around this board, do we hear the same stupid fallacies about the modern workplace again and again? Do people say "shadowing" on their resume when they mean "watched hospital-related movies from the fifties"?

Nurses are important, just not my cup of tea.

In the unlikely event you and your attitude make it that far . . . I'm sure the feeling will be mutual.

The research I want to do will be easier to do as an MD than an RN (or just a PhD, for that matter).

Nurses really do run the show, though. If you're interested in being a doctor primarily to help people, then you should at least consider nursing too (or even being a nurse practicioner). Nurses do way more for patients in terms of day to day care than doctors do.

As a doctor you have so much more power to help people. You're allowed to make decisions regarding care based on your interpreation of data, you're allowed to act as a scientist while still remaining compassionate about the patient you're allowed to use your judgement in order to decide what is best for the patient.

As a nurse you do get more face to face interaction with the patient, but your decision making is limited, unless you are a nurse practitioner, even then you do not get the same training as a doctor gets. You are primarly there to cary out the decisions of someone else. You are the face of grace for many patient but this is not for me.

Besides, I've always known deep down that I'm right and everybody else is wrong. :cool:

rsfarrell said:
Only on an anyonomous forum would you hear a quip like that . . . the ER nurses I know would rip that kind of mental midget a new one. Male or female, makes no difference . . . he's insulted both.

There's a reason ER nurses are almost universally some of the smartest nurses - they have to be or they won't survive. I've met some nurses who literally could not/would not do a THING without a doctor practically holding and guiding their hand. I've met other nurses who were very independent and capable of making decisions. Truth be told, though, the decision-making capacity of nurses is limited by LAW, so what ericL said is true to some extent.

suzie4399 said:
I have an interview coming up and I'm almost 100% sure they will ask me why I want to be a doctor and not a nurse...

Why are you so sure? I was never asked that question. It's a bizarre question that assumes the role of the physician and the role of the nurse are in some way easily comparable.

Quik Clot...lighten up, I have many male friends that are making the transition from the street into nursing and I work with many nurses whom I respect highly...I was being sarcastic, evidently it is hard to pick up ones tone on a forum...didn't mean to nor was I trying to offend anyone.
Like I said, nurses are very important and serve a vital role in medicine. In many cases they are the ones who actually provide the care, especially on going care in care facilities and ICU's and such. In practice they very often make the same critical decisions that the MDs make, this is especially true when you watch the interaction between new residents and nurses. I'm sure you've seen it in your experience, the nurse guides the pt's care, catch teh new MD's (or vetran MD for that matter) mistakes.

ericL said:
I don't wanna be a Murse (male nurse)...I don't look good in a skirt.
Why do you know that? And sometimes it's better to keep stuff like that a secret, champ.