Why does A&P in particular have such a high fail rate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jackal head

Registered Sex Offender
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone wanna take a stab at it? Sure it's a hard class but even other hard classes usually don't have a 50% fail rate.

Members don't see this ad.

I got an A when i took a&p 1 over the summer.
The grading scaled was 85%-100% A. I think i got an 87%. :D

It was a difficult class with a lot of material to learn, but then again the teacher made the material seem so easy. He was the real life Doogie Howsard -- as in the show was based on him. There was never a time that I was confused or didn't understand what I was being told.

Lots to study and lots to cover, really. The body connects all systems and you must know how every system assists each other. It's very easy to lose your way, especially when the professor makes you think - without providing all details - about how the systems work with one another. It's really not-so-much the anatomy...I think if you're lazy, the anatomy will catch you. However, the physiology part has the potential to drive someone crazy.

Anyway, my experience with A&P was fine; however, people I studied with were going crazy at the amount of material covered every class period. I got an A, but that was definitely not an easy class. In fact, my experience with biology hasn't been all easy...it's a subject, believe it or not, that I've dreaded in the undergrad level (although still have an interest in the material).

Sidenote: My teacher never gave multiple choice exams. His exams were in short/long answer essay format, which could/could not be difficult for some people.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lots to study and lots to cover, really. The body connects all systems and you must know how every system assists each other. It's very easy to lose your way, especially when the professor makes you think - without providing all details - about how the systems work with one another. It's really not-so-much the anatomy...I think if you're lazy, the anatomy will catch you. However, the physiology part has the potential to drive someone crazy.

Anyway, my experience with A&P was fine; however, people I studied with were going crazy at the amount of material covered every class period. I got an A, but that was definitely not an easy class. In fact, my experience with biology hasn't been all easy...it's a subject, believe it or not, that I've dreaded in the undergrad level (although still have an interest in the material).

Sidenote: My teacher never gave multiple choice exams. His exams were in short/long answer essay format, which could/could not be difficult for some people.

I actually loved undergraduate Physiology but I hated undergraduate Anatomy. I failed all of the lab exams except for the muscular system in that course.

I got a 95 (A) in A&P. I thought it was relatively easy, nothing compared to the physiology that you cover in pathophysiology <--- love this class.

:laugh:

I think many people find it difficult because you simply have to memorize it - there is no other way to do it. You can't just understand, you have to memorize. Most people are not good at that.

Also...if a class has a 50% fail rate, then I bet part of that is hype. For my anatomy class, a 95% is the lowest A.

Really?! I never knew that. For me, I thought it was easy enough if you actually took the time to study...I have gotten an A in the class. It's physics that 's killing me

A&P is a class for nurses and doesn't apply to science majors at my school. I took A&P 1 and thought it was easy. I also took the biology major Physiology and separate Vertebrate anatomy classes which are much more difficult.

It has a high fail rate because most people who take the class are either not serious about education or don't necessarily belong in the class. Of course, getting an "A" all depends on the professor as I know some professors will considerably lower the cutoff %age for an "A" while others will only hand out 2 or 3 "A's" in the whole class.

because of the majors some of the students are going into. They don't realize how much work it is and simply aren't dedicated enough.

It has a high fail rate because most people who take the class are either not serious about education or don't necessarily belong in the class. Of course, getting an "A" all depends on the professor as I know some professors will considerably lower the cutoff %age for an "A" while others will only hand out 2 or 3 "A's" in the whole class.

because of the majors some of the students are going into. They don't realize how much work it is and simply aren't dedicated enough.

Consistently these two are the ones who give the most definitive and valid answers. Once again, they are on the money.

These classes, while they have the highest fail rates, are perhaps the most informative and interesting courses in science. If you're taking them for fun, you're dead; if you take them to learn, you're going to learn.

I got A's for Anatomy 1 and 2. I am simply just good at memorizing stuffs. I have my own way to put them in in brain.

A&P is geared towards a specific type of learning style. Those people that are geared towards detail orientated things (rather than the big picture) & organized / structured do well in A&P.

The class is mostly going to come down to how well you route memorize things. And then your subsequent recall under the pressure of a timed multiple choice exam & fill in the blank lab exams.

There is no room for asking why? or wondering about possibilities of different body functions for a disease state. If you consider yourself a creative out of the box thinker watch out!

If you are a big picture / unstructured person than you will really need to make use of flash cards, drawing diagrams from recall until you've got it down, and practicing taking timed multiple choice exams.

I got an A when i took a&p 1 over the summer.
The grading scaled was 85%-100% A. I think i got an 87%. :D

It was a difficult class with a lot of material to learn, but then again the teacher made the material seem so easy. He was the real life Doogie Howsard -- as in the show was based on him. There was never a time that I was confused or didn't understand what I was being told.

The real life doogie howser ended up teaching a/p ... how depressing.

I got a 97 in AP1 and a 98 in AP 2. There were 8 TESTS in each semester. For A&P 1 there were 5 100-question multiple choice tests for lecture and 3 80-question multiple choice tests for lab. For A&P II, again they were all multiple choice except this time there were 5 80-question multiple choice tests and 3 100-question lab tests. The curve given on each test was anywhere from 5 to 7 points which would not do anything for you if you got a bad grade. For A&P I, only 2 out of every 20 people in each section would get an A. For II, it went to 4-5 people in each 20 person section. It was real intense and I probably studied a total of 140+ hours total for all of the tests total. But I love anatomy and physio so it was easier for me then other people that studied days before each test. I would only study 2 days before each test and do a quick 1-hour run through before the actual test.