Why does FADH2 result in less ATP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Deepa100

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
production than NADH?

Members don't see this ad.

the electron transport chain only has 3 spots where nadh, fadh2, and gtp can feed its electrons. each of those 3 spots (on the electron transport chain) makes one atp. nadh2 is fed to the first protien, therefore it goes through all 3 making 3 atp's. fadh2 skips the first protien, and deposits its electrons to the second protien, therefore, fadh2's electrons only go through 2 of the protiens, yielding 2 atp. gtp is feeds its electrons to the third, making only one atp...... remember, nadh2 only makes 3 atp per nadhs when it is making atp via oxidative phosphorylation, in substrate level phos, it makes only 2.

the electron transport chain only has 3 spots where nadh, fadh2, and gtp can feed its electrons. each of those 3 spots (on the electron transport chain) makes one atp. nadh2 is fed to the first protien, therefore it goes through all 3 making 3 atp's. fadh2 skips the first protien, and deposits its electrons to the second protien, therefore, fadh2's electrons only go through 2 of the protiens, yielding 2 atp. gtp is feeds its electrons to the third, making only one atp...... remember, nadh2 only makes 3 atp per nadhs when it is making atp via oxidative phosphorylation, in substrate level phos, it makes only 2.

Yes, I think marathons are cool too. Thx for the answer, man!
Fellow marathon addict

FADH2 makes less ATP because it enters the electron transport chain at a later stage than does NADH.

The electron transport chain is made of carrier molecules assembled into 3 protein complexes, and the passage of an electron through each complex generates enough energy to make roughly 1 ATP per complex. NADH enters the cycle at the first complex, so NADH produces 3 ATP. FADH2 enters the cycle at the 2nd complex, thus generating 2 ATP.

Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I think marathons are cool too. Thx for the answer, man!
Fellow marathon addict

Awesome! training for new york marathon in the fall, then boston next april. moving to new england in a few months, so next yr is the perfect opportunity to partake in the boston marathon.

More specfically, FADH2 doesn't create 3 ATP because its redox potential is only slightly lower than the complex in the ETC where the electrons from FADH2 enters (Complex II).

Remember that the complexes in the ETC go from more negative to more positive Redox potential as you move further down the line. This change in redox potential is why the ETC can generate an H+ gradient for ATP.

So the electrons from NADH travel from NADH --> I --> III --> IV, which is three increases in redox potential (from NADH to I, then I to III, and III to IV)so 3 ATP are created. (This is very simplified to make it MCAT relevant).

The electrons from FADH2, however, Go from FADH --> Complex II --> Complex III --> Complex IV. In this progression there are only 2 increases in redox potential (from II to III, and III to IV). The change in redox potential between FADH2 and Complex II isn't large enough to translocate H+ to the IMS. Thus, there are only 2 ATP produced.

http://tainano.com/Molecular%20Biology%20Glossary.files/image078.gif

More specfically, FADH2 doesn't create 3 ATP because its redox potential is only slightly lower than the complex in the ETC where the electrons from FADH2 enters (Complex II).

Remember that the complexes in the ETC go from more negative to more positive Redox potential as you move further down the line. This change in redox potential is why the ETC can generate an H+ gradient for ATP.

So the electrons from NADH travel from NADH --> I --> III --> IV, which is three increases in redox potential (from NADH to I, then I to III, and III to IV)so 3 ATP are created. (This is very simplified to make it MCAT relevant).

The electrons from FADH2, however, Go from FADH --> Complex II --> Complex III --> Complex IV. In this progression there are only 2 increases in redox potential (from II to III, and III to IV). The change in redox potential between FADH2 and Complex II isn't large enough to translocate H+ to the IMS. Thus, there are only 2 ATP produced.

http://tainano.com/Molecular%20Biology%20Glossary.files/image078.gif

Nice, easy to understand explanation!!

This is pretty funny. They claim you only need basic science for the MCAT and you guys are worried about material I just went over in a 3rd year biochem class. :D

I think the AAMC needs to work on its honesty level a bit with what test takers need to cover.

Are Glycolysis, the Citric Acid Cycle, the ETC, etc, actually covered on the MCAT?

This is pretty funny. They claim you only need basic science for the MCAT and you guys are worried about material I just went over in a 3rd year biochem class. :D

I think the AAMC needs to work on its honesty level a bit with what test takers need to cover.
This isn't advanced biochemistry. I learned this in AP Biology.:smuggrin: Biochemistry involved the actual electron transfer mechanisms in each of the complexes and how each product is specifically made.
For the MCAT, we only need to understand that NADH drops off the electrons in the first complex, while the FADH drops off electrons in the Q complex, which skips complex I and misses out on making the same ATP as an NADH would.