Why does goljan book take forver to read?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tadalafil

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if others have a similar opinion. I find the Goljan text very burdensome to read and take forever to get thru couple pages.

I am try to listen to his lectures as I go through the book. Are all the little tidbits (from book/audio) that high-yeild?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if others have a similar opinion. I find the Goljan text very burdensome to read and take forever to get thru couple pages.

I am try to listen to his lectures as I go through the book. Are all the little tidbits (from book/audio) that high-yeild?

Thanks.

I took notes from GOljan lectures seperately and studied them. After knowing these cold I went through the book. Went a lot quicker that way I felt. Plus what was great was I got the images that were lacking with the audio lectures. He touches the important topics really well in his lectures. The little stuff you have to toil with and pick up as you read the book.

Goljan tidbits are pretty high yield. There were about 6-7 questions I got right solely from goljan, and thats when I had only listened to 12 lectures. Had I finished the whole series, who knows...

The problem is, he moves so fast, he explains everything so well that you have to go back and rewind. It takes much more than an hour to finish a 1 hr lecture, which is why I stopped. If you have the time, I would seriously recommend finishing it.

Goljan tidbits are pretty high yield. There were about 6-7 questions I got right solely from goljan, and thats when I had only listened to 12 lectures. Had I finished the whole series, who knows...

The problem is, he moves so fast, he explains everything so well that you have to go back and rewind. It takes much more than an hour to finish a 1 hr lecture, which is why I stopped. If you have the time, I would seriously recommend finishing it.

Most people can read faster than they can listen. So IMHO unless you have some down time driving (or perhaps working out) each day, you are better off with books.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am using Goljan as my schedule, I am studying system by system, and I am using his audio to go system by system as he does it. I follow along in his book as I listen, then I go back and re read the chapter/chapters that we have just done etc. and then read the relevant chapters in FA. I feel I am getting the tidbits and his correllations all in one, then I do the questions in his book, also the Qbank questions pertaining to that system, and some qbook questions I've got from someone at school. seems to reinforce the idea and info I have just reviewed, to me causes me to think and reinforce it!!:D

I have been taking extensive notes on Goljan audio lectures while following along in his book....I have 5 lectures left. I was wondering.....did you guys read your notes and read the book too....or are the notes enough to do well on the exam?

It takes forever b/c he integrates so many other aspects of science into pathology. I listen to his audio once, then listen to it again and incorporate what he says into his RR book. I haven't taken Step 1 yet, but, from the few path questions I've done in UW, I've gotten at least 10 questions correct based solely on what Goljan has said in his audio. Audio + RR book seems to be a winning combo.

RR path definitely takes a while to get through the first time (7-10 days), but I'm very glad I stuck with it. I really like the book, but there is some stuff in there that is low yield/you really don't need to know. The krux is making an educated guess at what you need to know. To do that I'm using the audio, FA, Q banks, and random searchs on SDN as a guide. Everyone has their own way to study, but I found it easiest if I skimmed the RR chapter first to get an idea of where everything was at, as the audio doesn't follow the book perfectly. Then I'd listen to the audio and add clarifications or a put note next to things he emphasized (i.e. anytime you here the two magic words "big time"). I'm now reviewing the book again while focusing on topics mentioned in the audio and learning additional diseases that I've come across while doing questions (as long as they're no too out there). If a disease is in neither or I haven't ever heard of it, then I'm skipping it.

As others have said, it's not pure pathology. I cleared my planned schedule to make time for Goljan and I don't regret it. Some of the threads where people blaze through it are misleading, I think they are fast readers.

Goljan is similar to an aged wine, you should drink it slowly to take in every last drop to maximize the experience. If you treat it like boxed wine and drink it like you're hitting a beer bong then you will not have a chance to fully appreciate what it has to offer and will end up wasting a good opportunity. That said, I believe that the best way to approach Goljan is to either read it during the year along with your path course or (if you buy it late like in my case) read it during Spring quarter as a review for the path final/shelf exam and then hitting it one more time during Step 1 prep. The second time around was faster and served as a good schedule for an organ based approach for studying.

did someone say wine??

i agree with what just about everyone has said. i've used RR throughout the last half-year (i got in january), and have been listening to goljan's lectures for the last year. i'm pretty sure i've listened to them all, but don't necessarily remember everything. thus, i'm trying to finish one or two more complete reviews of his lectures while studying for boards this summer. as for RR path - the most significant aspect about that book - and the most compelling - is its extent of integration with other subjects. thats whay i have saved it for last for subject/book reviews. there is so much info there that can't be absorbed or truly integrated into your knowledge framework of pathology unless you have reviewed such topics beforehand (e.g. micro, or biochem). so, after reviewing everything:

anatomy
biochem
mol bio
pharm
micro
phys

THEN hit RR full force and soak it all up. at least, thats my plan. i'd like to complete as much of Robbins Q's while doing so, but i think that might be a little ambitious for only a 10 day time period, as robbins qbook is very time consuming. anyway, after such a review i plan to focus solely on UW Q's and NBME exams. hopefully i'm on the right track.

but anyway, RR is an awesome book if used wisely. its outline is reader-friendly, its topics are well organized, and basically - its goljan, how could you go wrong?

but it IS dense

I have been taking extensive notes on Goljan audio lectures while following along in his book....I have 5 lectures left. I was wondering.....did you guys read your notes and read the book too....or are the notes enough to do well on the exam?

I've read the book twice and am on my third run through listening to his lectures.

My problem is that tables (both in his book and Step Up) have a lot of information and I'm lousy at memorization.

It takes forever b/c he integrates so many other aspects of science into pathology. I listen to his audio once, then listen to it again and incorporate what he says into his RR book. I haven't taken Step 1 yet, but, from the few path questions I've done in UW, I've gotten at least 10 questions correct based solely on what Goljan has said in his audio. Audio + RR book seems to be a winning combo.

Only 10? On a 350 question test I was hoping that number would be up closer to 50 or so (1-2 questions a lecture hour?)

Only 10? On a 350 question test I was hoping that number would be up closer to 50 or so (1-2 questions a lecture hour?)

Right now, I'm only doing questions that are associated w/the things I've studied. For example, after I've finished preparing for my GI path test, I'll do the GI path questions on UW. Since I only use Goljan for my path class, I guess every question I get right is b/c of him. I just meant that there were 10 or so questions that he said verbatim that were on UW. I guess I avg. around 80% on path questions after I've studied from him. I'd say 10% of missed questions were stupid mistakes and 10% were things he just didn't cover well enough. Sorry for the confusion.

Took me three weeks to get through the book. It is VERY detailed. Fill in gaps of your knowledge from FA with Rapid Review.