DrScottie

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I have been reviewing the boards for a while. Every so often a picture of a penis with some nasty disease pops up. Bonk!!! What do you know-they are all black men. I mean come on. There has to be an image of syphilis not involving a black man who "attributed the lesion to rough intercourse." So you are saying we are dum also? Just a thought. Spread the STDS among the races, who ever you are that chooses the pics for step 1.

-Thanks

superoxide

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2006
Munich, Germany
Status
I don't think those questions are meant to be racist/prejudiced. It's about the prevalance of the disease. Rates of Syphilis continue to be higher among African-Americans and Hispanics than among whites (this from the CDC) and 8 times greater than the rate among whites (also according to the CDC).

Link: http://www.cdc.gov/STD/stats02/minorities.htm

For Cystic Fibrosis, the questions is going to be about a caucasian kid. For TB, it's more likely that the person is going to be a recent immigrant from Mexico or another Third World country. For Tay Sachs, it's going to be a Jewish kid, for sickle cell it's more likely going to be an african american. Are all these conditions also seen in the other races? Sure, but it's more likely that it will be more prevalent in "that" race/demographic.

I can see how you would think it's biased though, but it really isn't.

Just my thought.

Blesbok

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 27, 2007
Status
Medical Student
I have been reviewing the boards for a while. Every so often a picture of a penis with some nasty disease pops up. Bonk!!! What do you know-they are all black men. I mean come on. There has to be an image of syphilis not involving a black man who "attributed the lesion to rough intercourse." So you are saying we are dum also? Just a thought. Spread the STDS among the races, who ever you are that chooses the pics for step 1.

-Thanks
:banana:

Blesbok

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 27, 2007
Status
Medical Student
I don't think those questions are meant to be racist/prejudiced. It's about the prevalance of the disease. Rates of Syphilis continue to be higher among African-Americans and Hispanics than among whites (this from the CDC) and 8 times greater than the rate among whites (also according to the CDC).

Link: http://www.cdc.gov/STD/stats02/minorities.htm

For Cystic Fibrosis, the questions is going to be about a caucasian kid. For TB, it's more likely that the person is going to be a recent immigrant from Mexico or another Third World country. For Tay Sachs, it's going to be a Jewish kid, for sickle cell it's more likely going to be an african american. Are all these conditions also seen in the other races? Sure, but it's more likely that it will be more prevalent in "that" race/demographic.

I can see how you would think it's biased though, but it really isn't.

Just my thought.
I am kinda pissed that all the sickle cell questions are always about black people. Racists.

Taus

10+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2005
Philly
Status
Attending Physician

-Thanks
the nbme was probably just too cheap to get a camera w/ a good zoom feature.....kinda limits their options of who to shoot...;)

TheEleventhReel

Dinkin flicka
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2006
Status
Medical Student
the nbme was probably just too cheap to get a camera w/ a good zoom feature.....kinda limits their options of who to shoot...;)
My thoughts exactly. That stereotype is definately true. If you don't believe me, wait'll you get to clinic :laugh:

aw buddy
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
My thoughts exactly. That stereotype is definately true. If you don't believe me, wait'll you get to clinic :laugh:
They're also more likely to be showers, not growers.

As for the OP - maybe they like to show off their equipment? I dunno.

indo

Feed me a stray cat
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2002
www.mcw.edu
Status
Resident [Any Field]
So, black people love chicken? I don't see how this would become elucidated by clincal work.

Terpskins99

Fear... The Stig
10+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Goljan said it best...

For the purposes of the USMLE, all stereotypes are true.

mercaptovizadeh

ἀλώπηξ
10+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2004
Status
People get less pissed off about genetic diseases because there's no element of responsibility. With acquired diseases and especially something sensitive like STD, there's a stigma, so naturally I can understand that some people are annoyed by all the photos of syphilis lesions being of black people. However, statistics are statistics and if that is predominant population, it makes sense that the photos would be from that.

lankysudanese

antibiotics fetish
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
People get less pissed off about genetic diseases because there's no element of responsibility. With acquired diseases and especially something sensitive like STD, there's a stigma, so naturally I can understand that some people are annoyed by all the photos of syphilis lesions being of black people. However, statistics are statistics and if that is predominant population, it makes sense that the photos would be from that.
very well put.

racerx

ASA Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2001
Status
Attending Physician
What LankySudanese said!:thumbup: