Why does Sigma Sigma Phi honor society recruit members in their first year of medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tozanzibarbymotorcar

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought a medical school honor society was supposed to be about what you have accomplished in well..medical school - not undergrad. SSP allows for students to use accomplishments from undergrad for their application.

The allopathic honor society AOA recruits members in their 3rd/4th year if I remember correctly. Why aren't we doing the same?

Members don't see this ad.

I thought a medical school honor society was supposed to be about what you have accomplished in well..medical school - not undergrad. SSP allows for students to use accomplishments from undergrad for their application.

The allopathic honor society AOA recruits members in their 3rd/4th year if I remember correctly. Why aren't we doing the same?
Because SSP doesn’t mean a thing. You’re eligible in the top half of the class. Not a huge “honor” when it has to include volunteering and things

Reactions: 1 users
Because SSP doesn’t mean a thing. You’re eligible in the top half of the class. Not a huge “honor” when it has to include volunteering and things
But apparently it does mean a thing. It is a checkbox in ERAS so someone out there things it is legit. You are eligible if you meet a GPA requirement YOUR FIRST SEMESTER of medical school and you can use activities during undergrad. How is that a good way to determine if someone should be in an honor society? Maybe someone should reach out to the AAMC.

Members don't see this ad :)
But apparently it does mean a thing. It is a checkbox in ERAS so someone out there things it is legit. You are eligible if you meet a GPA requirement YOUR FIRST SEMESTER of medical school and you can use activities during undergrad. How is that a good way to determine if someone should be in an honor society? Maybe someone should reach out to the AAMC.
It’s different by school because that isn’t the case at mine, which again speaks to how not standardized it is

Do not worry about SSP. It is not exclusive and when you explain what it is to people who have no clue they will be even more confused.

Reactions: 1 user
I didn't join SSP and guess where I ended up.... exactly where I wanted to be.

But you didnt make any lifelong friends that encourage you to strive for excellence:(

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
But you didnt make any lifelong friends that encourage you to strive for excellence:(
It really is sad that the community of <3.3 GPA’s will never have this luxury in life. Can’t we make an honor society where those people can encourage each other to be their averagest selves?

It really is sad that the community of <3.3 GPA’s will never have this luxury in life. Can’t we make an honor society where those people can encourage each other to be their averagest selves?

We need something like AT stills skull to drink out of during initiation and some tightly fit togas. Also I would like to establish ground rules about whether naked wrestling is acceptable or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users
Because SSP is a joke and a scam to make money. Once you understand that, the illogical nature of the actions associated with it make more sense.

Lol I did apply SSP because it was 60 bucks and something to put on my CV. You know what happened? I forgot about it and didn’t put it on my CV. I didn’t remember until graduation when they handed me cords

Lol I did apply SSP because it was 60 bucks and something to put on my CV. You know what happened? I forgot about it and didn’t put it on my CV. I didn’t remember until graduation when they handed me cords
But did you forget to check it off on ERAS?

So I decided again that it was not worth it to sign up. By GPA I was definitely qualified, and I was feeling the pressure to add a checkmark, but the community service requirement and the clueless 'officer's at my school pretty much sealed it for me. After talking to residents again about this I have no idea why I thought it was useful. No standardization really makes it kind of pointless. No one even knows that my GPA is good, one resident told me he thought the average GPA at his DO school was a 3.8. GPA is pointless at that kind of average.

Anyway, the comments on my Evals/MSPE I fully expect to take me a lot further than SSP would.

So I decided again that it was not worth it to sign up. By GPA I was definitely qualified, and I was feeling the pressure to add a checkmark, but the community service requirement and the clueless 'officer's at my school pretty much sealed it for me. After talking to residents again about this I have no idea why I thought it was useful. No standardization really makes it kind of pointless. No one even knows that my GPA is good, one resident told me he thought the average GPA at his DO school was a 3.8. GPA is pointless at that kind of average.

Anyway, the comments on my Evals/MSPE I fully expect to take me a lot further than SSP would.
Oh. Did you have the killer 3.25?

• Haha
It’s just a popularity contest at my school.

Reactions: 1 users
Ok all seriously..some Pds do take SSP seriously. Why don’t they make it better?
Same reason they don’t make anything under the DO degree better. Because it’s already making money and that’s the only goal.