1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Why does the Exam Cracker O-Chem guide skip so many reactions and topics ?

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by FreeMeDoctor, Apr 25, 2007.

1. FreeMeDoctor

FreeMeDoctor Membership Revoked
    Removed

Does anyone have any experience with the Exam Crackers o-chem book ? Is it safe to skip all the topics in the textbooks that are not in the EC review book ?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Wanna_B_Scutty

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
  4. TheAmazingGOB

TheAmazingGOB It ain't easy bein' white
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    It's probably a safe bet. There are so many possible O-Chem reactions that there is no way the MCAT could test them all. Remember, the MCAT only tests general principles. So, if you know the EC OChem really well you should do fine.

5. sagentt007

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    The MCAT tests your understanding of electron movement for Orgo. It expects you to memorize very little for this subject

6. EBI831

EBI831 legend in the making
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    because orgo is being slowly minimized on the mcat so EK is reflecting that by focusing on the important stuff. also, as i found the mcat orgo section explains the mechs in a paragraph or draws them out for you, you just have to interpret you don't really have to memorize much.

7. foofish

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I only glanced at EK when I was doing my prep, so I can't say for sure, but my guess is because many of those reactions are not tested by the MCAT. Alkenes, for instance, are off limits.

Little-known fact: if you go to the official MCAT/AAMC website, they actually list outlines of the subjects tested by the MCAT....the orgo one is especially worth checking since a lot of topics you'd expect to be tested are not, and you'll save yourself a lot of time.

8. FizbanZymogen

FizbanZymogen Guitar Hero Champion
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Because you don't need to know every freakin O-chem reaction to do well on the MCAT. O-chem was definitely the lighest section when I took the CBT MCAT last year and had only one long difficult passage which everyone pretty mcuh agreed was an experimental (not graded) section. Trust EK!! Its the best study guide next to the actual MCAT Tests you can purchase and take.