Why does the research strength of a school matter at all?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SUNY DOWNSTATE

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I understand that performing research is important for obtaining residency placement and that would make schools with strong research programs particularly attractive.

However, what is stopping me from going to a poorly ranked research school, and during my MS1 Summer break applying for research positions at strong research schools?

I ask because I am currently working in a prestigious lab with notable faculty, and I was wondering if it were possible to come back to the lab during my MS I summer break instead of finding research at the school I am matriculating .

Members don't see this ad.

That would work well! No need to worry about that then! And research is not always needed for residency placement - it all depends on what you go into, but it can be a huge plus, or just a little plus. At the very least it can be a nice topic of small talk with program directors. (I presume you got into Downstate?)

You can, but usually the question is funding. Many schools provide research funding for their students for the summer and longitudinally. People also do research during the school year which would be very hard to do at another institution.

So I understand that performing research is important for obtaining residency placement and that would make schools with strong research programs particularly attractive.

However, what is stopping me from going to a poorly ranked research school, and during my MS1 Summer break applying for research positions at strong research schools?

I ask because I am currently working in a prestigious lab with notable faculty, and I was wondering if it were possible to come back to the lab during my MS I summer break instead of finding research at the school I am matriculating .

Research strength is also a/the major constituent of a school's ranking and does benefit you when applying for residency. But sure, you can always do research at an outside institution during the summer after MS1.