WHY does this happen??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ari1584

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i took a practice test yesterday (just the bio section) and as i was going through i came upon a question that asked "which one of these is least polar"...and the choices had a carbon with 4 Cl's, one with 3, one with 2, and one with just 1. Obviously the answer was the tetrahedral one with 4 Cl's attached and i even drew out my little vector diagram to be sure. BUT THEN...i started thinking "well the more Cl's means there is more polarity..." and picked the wrong answer. I mean, come on. I learned this like in freshman year of college. WHY DID I DO THAT TO MYSELF?? I feel like i do that a lot....second guess what i know and just confuse myself even more. I know most of you just say "dont second guess urself"...but its hard not to for me i guess. Is there anything i can specifically do to not have this problem on test day?? UGH. i feel so stupid :(

Members don't see this ad.

So i took a practice test yesterday (just the bio section) and as i was going through i came upon a question that asked "which one of these is least polar"...and the choices had a carbon with 4 Cl's, one with 3, one with 2, and one with just 1. Obviously the answer was the tetrahedral one with 4 Cl's attached and i even drew out my little vector diagram to be sure. BUT THEN...i started thinking "well the more Cl's means there is more polarity..." and picked the wrong answer. I mean, come on. I learned this like in freshman year of college. WHY DID I DO THAT TO MYSELF?? I feel like i do that a lot....second guess what i know and just confuse myself even more. I know most of you just say "dont second guess urself"...but its hard not to for me i guess. Is there anything i can specifically do to not have this problem on test day?? UGH. i feel so stupid :(

I know it sounds crazy, but a lot of people actually think much clearer on the "real deal" than on practice tests. Sometimes you get a little too relaxed on the practices, which leads to more mistakes than you would like to make. Just try to stay and calm, cool, and collected as possible, and think things through. Be sure of your answer and move on. On the real test, believe that every time you think you know an answer, it is right. Keep your confidence up and the scores will follow. Good luck!!

Have you been practicing with Kaplan? A lot of their questions seem to try to trick you, and so maybe you're having a hard time accepting the fact that some questions are just dead-on easy

Have you been practicing with Kaplan? A lot of their questions seem to try to trick you, and so maybe you're having a hard time accepting the fact that some questions are just dead-on easy

I was before, but i have been doing aamc test for the past couple of practice tests...i just tend to second guess myself on the dumbest things :/