USMLE Why don't all porphyrias cause microcytic anemia?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lucky01

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
if lead poisoning can cause microcytic anemia due to defective heme synthesis, why don't the other porphyrias cause microcytic anemias since they cause a defective heme synthesis too?

sorry if this question seems silly, just trying to grasp a better understanding of this logically.

Members don't see this ad.

if lead poisoning can cause microcytic anemia due to defective heme synthesis, why don't the other porphyrias cause microcytic anemias since they cause a defective heme synthesis too?

sorry if this question seems silly, just trying to grasp a better understanding of this logically.
The enzyme deficiency does not produce a complete block of heme synthesis (you would expect a microcytic sideroblastic anemia in that case). The clinical manifestations are usually due to accumulation of intermediate substrate rather than deficiency of product.

(This question bugged me for months and I finally got an answer from a heme-onc the other day)

The enzyme deficiency does not produce a complete block of heme synthesis (you would expect a microcytic sideroblastic anemia in that case). The clinical manifestations are usually due to accumulation of intermediate substrate rather than deficiency of product.

(This question bugged me for months and I finally got an answer from a heme-onc the other day)

Ah! You saved me months of being bugged. Thank you!!