Why don't many DO schools have fancy match ceremonies like MD schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tozanzibarbymotorcar

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will this change with the single match?

Members don't see this ad.

i don't think we're paying enough tuition. we're only doing rookie numbers right now

Reactions: 11 users
My medical school is 3.5 hours away from my clinical rotation site, some people are multiple states away. From what I know about DO clinicals, this is pretty consistent and the logistical challenge this poses to having a match day like MD schools where the vast majority of clinicals are done at a relatively same location to the didactics are the main reason.

This won't change with the single match- if anything the single match could lead to more requirements on DO rotations making the process for DO school administrations tougher (X number of rotations have to be with residents and what not) causing a more broad clinical rotation distribution throughout the US.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I wish I knew because I always dreamed of my match day ceremony. In fact, last year when I was an M1 I searched all over campus on Match day looking for ours for our 4th years. Later after I couldn’t find one, I found out I was wrong in presuming we even had one. A few months ago our class student government polled everyone to see what type of match day ceremony we would like to have so they could present it to the admin. I never heard a follow up but that’s still 2 years away so we have time. We did just have a mini-match day type thing when we picked up our core rotation site envelopes together, so that quenched my thirst a little.

Reactions: 2 users
OK State has one.

Reactions: 3 users
the biggest reason is because its not in the budget. and the second biggest reason is, even though DO schools may have a "100%" placement rate (which is BS, they may have 95% placement rate), MATCH rate is only like 85% and that translates into a day of absolute devastation for a lot of people.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Probably because the majority of DOs will be disappointed on match day.

Reactions: 6 users
We have 1. But, I'm 100% not going. I'll be in the Carribbean taking my vacation period, taking in the sun, and drinking my margaritas at the time.

Because it cost money and do schools dgaf

AT still didn't have a match ceremony, why should you? That's why

Reactions: 24 users
Bc prior to next year DO participated in two matches that are a month apart. Having half the class matching one month and the other a month later probably makes it hard to coordinate a day we’re everyone finds out where they match.

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This "cuz they gon be disappoint lol" line is stupid because most people end up matching fine.

OP, idk, I figure it might be because 4th years in DO schools are typically really spread out.

Reactions: 4 users
I’m not going back for match day when they’re already making me go back for graduation. They can just leave me alone.

Reactions: 10 users
the biggest reason is because its not in the budget. and the second biggest reason is, even though DO schools may have a "100%" placement rate (which is BS, they may have 95% placement rate), MATCH rate is only like 85% and that translates into a day of absolute devastation for a lot of people.
ding ding ding winner winner.

If 20% of your class doesn't actually match on match day, thats a real downer at the party.

Does nobody know what happens on Monday of match week? Nobody should be freaking out at a match party that they didn't match unless they got there last ranked spot haha

Reactions: 1 user
**** match day.

It already sucks ass that our school REQUIRES us to attend graduation.

I plan on silencing my phone and blocking ALL numbers of anybody from my program and going incognito on everything and forget the horrors that my school put me through.

I want to grab a couple beers and champagne, go book a yacht with some family, and smoke a couple cubans and get the best tan I can get before residency.

Reactions: 5 users
**** match day.

It already sucks ass that our school REQUIRES us to attend graduation.

I plan on silencing my phone and blocking ALL numbers of anybody from my program and going incognito on everything and forget the horrors that my school put me through.

I want to grab a couple beers and champagne, go book a yacht with some family, and smoke a couple cubans and get the best tan I can get before residency.
Omg! Lol I love it :0

Compare the match lists and data from any of the lowest ranked MD schools in the nation to any DO school and you'll find out why it would be embarrassing for DO schools to be having big ceremonies.

Last edited:
I don't see why they can't have one now that we only have one match day. Why would anybody be disappointed that they got into a residency spot that they applied to and ranked? I highly doubt that anybody that match would be disappointed. The only disappointments are probably the people that didn't match (2-15%), so I don't get why people are saying the majority of people will be disappointed as reason why we don't have a match ceremony. IDK, maybe I'm too naive to understand any of this yet, and maybe I'll get as salty as a lot of you are at some point.

I don't see why they can't have one now that we only have one match day. Why would anybody be disappointed that they got into a residency spot that they applied to and ranked? I highly doubt that anybody that match would be disappointed. The only disappointments are probably the people that didn't match (2-15%), so I don't get why people are saying the majority of people will be disappointed as reason why we don't have a match ceremony. IDK, maybe I'm too naive to understand any of this yet, and maybe I'll get as salty as a lot of you are at some point.

Because if you don't get ortho, surgery, ENT, derm, plastics, radiology, anesthesia, you ain't ****.

You just a dumb poo-poo head primary care doc.

Have fun in the middle of nowhere treating DM and HTN and seeing stinky feet ur whole life.

:(

Reactions: 6 users
The DO ACGME match rate was just under 81% last year overall. Thats 1/5 who failed to match on match day. Its not just 2-15%.
Does nobody know what happens on Monday of match week? Nobody should be freaking out at a match party that they didn't match unless they got there last ranked spot haha
This comment makes zero sense. How could someone not match if they got their last ranked spot. By getting their last ranked spot they would have to match by definition. Someone who doesn't match gets nothing, no spot at all. There is literally nothing to celebrate about that. The SOAP is freakin terrible.

Because if you don't get ortho, surgery, ENT, derm, plastics, radiology, anesthesia, you ain't ****.

Have fun in the middle of nowhere treating DM and HTN and seeing stinky feet ur whole life.

I was having this debate with a 4th year at my school this week about why we gun so much for so little. Theres this guy at my rotation doing FM and he is living the life. Chilling, taking a week off to go on trips. Literally NGAF. He was all in on FM from the beginning. Has a plan to use some rural loan repayment programs to knock out 250k of debt in 3 years thru stacking employer incentives plus state incentives, then he will pay off the rest working in a rural ER. Then he wants to be a hospitalist. I have done 4 months of inpatient IM/Hospitalist rotations this year, it isn't that bad. At least as a backup :cool:#gunnerlife.

Being overly cynical and negative about everything is not the same as being woke about the "truth".

With how unaware some of the people at DO schools are, people like me and Sab need to exist. People are just dangerously un-informed, coming from real active experience with people making terrible decisions this past interview season.

Yeah like people trying to match OB w 420 comlexs and multiple clinical failures at my school. Everyone thinks they a special snowflake. They alll scrambled fm

Match day is the great day for medical students. But it seems some DO admin has no idea how important match is. They make a big deal of gradation ceremony in May, and little about match day. Who the hell cares about that diploma giving day?

The DO ACGME match rate was just under 81% last year overall. Thats 1/5 who failed to match on match day. Its not just 2-15%.
This comment makes zero sense. How could someone not match if they got their last ranked spot. By getting their last ranked spot they would have to match by definition. Someone who doesn't match gets nothing, no spot at all. There is literally nothing to celebrate about that. The SOAP is freakin terrible.

My comment was in regards to people saying DO schools don't have match day celebrations because to many people would be upset or mad they didn't match during the match party. But you know on Monday if you match and the party on Friday is for those who matched so its not really a legit reason on why DO schools don't have match parties.

I know the truth hurts... :( But hey, I guess the forum is really just about personal attacks.

Oh Uncle Sab, what hi-jinks won't you get into. But for the last time, I am not buying into your timeshare scheme. The family and I all know where the money is REALLY going.

With how unaware some of the people at DO schools are, people like me and Sab need to exist. People are just dangerously un-informed, coming from real active experience with people making terrible decisions this past interview season.

There have been PLENTY of threads regarding this subject, including just about anything regarding the 2018 match results. The fact of the matter is, someone with a 450 COMLEX applying to derm or a 420 applying to OB is not self aware enough to be on here. In the mean time, there is reasonable and productive posting and then there is constantly crapping on the degree. I love DO-bashing as much as the next Lightning Bone Setter with a Self Loathing Complex, but there's a limit.

SDN (especially DO SDN) is not exactly a place brimming with self-confidence and bravado. Anyone who thinks its their solemn duty to talk about how we're all doomed can put their capes back in the closet/stop pretending to be martyrs.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users
SDN is not exactly a place brimming with self-confidence and bravado. Anyone who thinks its their solemn duty to talk about how we're all doomed can put their capes back in the closet/stop pretending to be martyrs.
This.

It's just weird.

Reactions: 7 users

Legit ROFL

My point was that it's not the majority people that are disappointed. But I can see people not in the mood to party after receiving the news that their friends/classmates didn't match.

Last edited:
My point was that it's not the majority people that are disappointed. But I can see people not in the mood to party after receiving the news that their friends/classmates didn't match.
Why do you think the only disappointed people are the people who didn't match? Going to 8 on your already weaker list than your stats should provide interviews for is going to disappoint a lot of people. Just the way it is.

First of all... you guys need to chill with the bickering. Second, Caribbean schools have match day celebrations, so this whole “DO schools don’t do it because we suck and nobody wants to see the tears” is absurd. In a traditional match you find out before hand if you matched at all, and then going to the celebration is optional. @sunshinefl our school has a get together with a map and treats and all that, but not many come because a huge chunk of the class does ACGME and the dates are not the same. Being spread out is also a thing, but schools like DCOM send out a special poster to their students and encourage them to post a pic saying where they’re going.

These regular SDNers acting like they go to a fake medical school becuase it’s DO is not doing anyone any favors.

Reactions: 14 users
First of all... you guys need to chill with the bickering. Second, Caribbean schools have match day celebrations, so this whole “DO schools don’t do it because we suck and nobody wants to see the tears” is absurd. In a traditional match you find out before hand if you matched at all, and then going to the celebration is optional. @sunshinefl our school has a get together with a map and treats and all that, but not many come because a huge chunk of the class does ACGME and the dates are not the same. Being spread out is also a thing, but schools like DCOM send out a special poster to their students and encourage them to post a pic saying where they’re going.

These regular SDNers acting like they go to a fake medical school becuase it’s DO is not doing anyone any favors.

Ohhhh... I was looking on NMRP/ACGME match day, not AOA day.

That poo-poo primary care doc joke cracked me up xD

I wish I knew because I always dreamed of my match day ceremony. In fact, last year when I was an M1 I searched all over campus on Match day looking for ours for our 4th years. Later after I couldn’t find one, I found out I was wrong in presuming we even had one. A few months ago our class student government polled everyone to see what type of match day ceremony we would like to have so they could present it to the admin. I never heard a follow up but that’s still 2 years away so we have time. We did just have a mini-match day type thing when we picked up our core rotation site envelopes together, so that quenched my thirst a little.

My school does the match day on the ACGME Friday and the AOA people get an envelope as well. They get to participate even though they know where they are going. That being said, less than 50 students ever go and the class size is well over 150. Waste of time. Most of us are jaded by our school and would rather take off to Vegas for the weekend with our friends.

Please keep it professional. Removed ad hominem attacks.

He means that everybody gets an email that they matched before they actually find out where they matched. MD schools that have match day celebrations do them on the day you find out where you match but after you know you’ve already matched. That way if you didn’t match or matched in your backup specialty you don’t participate in the ceremony. It would be impossible for somebody to find out in match day ceremony that they didn’t match.

He means that everybody gets an email that they matched before they actually find out where they matched. MD schools that have match day celebrations do them on the day you find out where you match but after you know you’ve already matched. That way if you didn’t match or matched in your backup specialty you don’t participate in the ceremony.
Compare the match lists and data from any of the lowest ranked MD schools in the nation to any DO school and you'll find out why it would be embarrassing for DO schools to be having big ceremonies.
My friends girlfriend is at an MD and they stand up on stage and announce where they matched live as they see it for the first time. She’s says it’s the most awkward thing ever bc you can tell when someone is devastated if they fell in their rank and the whole thing is recorded lol

My friends girlfriend is at an MD and they stand up on stage and announce where they matched live as they see it for the first time. She’s says it’s the most awkward thing ever bc you can tell when someone is devastated if they fell in their rank and the whole thing is recorded lol

DAMN, that's brutal.

How are these schools hiding that 5% of their graduates are unemployed?

Mine's shown a 100% placement. As I understand its considered one of the better DO schools, has its own healthcare system/hospital, etc. I mean I think its good but this does worry me a little.

And of the DO students who don't match is this pure chance based off bad luck on clinical rotations? The fact these students had no business being in medical school?

How are these schools hiding that 5% of their graduates are unemployed?

Mine's shown a 100% placement. As I understand its considered one of the better DO schools, has its own healthcare system/hospital, etc. I mean I think its good but this does worry me a little.

And of the DO students who don't match is this pure chance based off bad luck on clinical rotations? The fact these students had no business being in medical school?

Usually applying above their application due to delusions.

Reactions: 7 users

All first years should be required to attend this as motivation to ACTUALLY study.

We had a few students who apply to primarily Ortho programs w/ FM places as backups. Some bitter tears were def shredded during Match Day when they found out that they were matched to some random FM programs in some random places.

We had a few students who apply to primarily Ortho programs w/ FM places as backups. Some bitter tears were def shredded during Match Day when they found out that they were matched to some random FM programs in some random places.
Huh? Do people actually do this?

Apparently yes bc the person told me that he or she was applying to both Ortho and FM programs and was fine with either specialties.

We all know that being fine with either specialties is bs. Ortho gunners aren't fine with FM.