This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1064759

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Med school needs to be more like residency. Get rid of liability rules that treat med students like a burden, and the grades and letters will be a lot more valuable.

Reactions: 1 users
Whether one method or not is better - you'd be shooting in the foot people from lower-tier med schools gunning for competitive residencies or locations by removing another form of stratification.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Whether one method or not is better - you'd be shooting in the foot people from lower-tier med schools gunning for competitive residencies or locations by removing another form of stratification.
Correct. There are "top schools" that can get away with this since "the name" can carry the applicants. But, there are high-performers and low-performers and they need to be identified as such (by whatever mechanism however arbitrary schools and residencies choose). Everyone can't get gold stars.

Especially with Step 1 turning P/F soon, it's getting closer and closer to everyone "getting a trophy for participation"

Reactions: 5 users
Reduce preclinical to 1 year everywhere. 3 years of clerkships have far more value
I'd love that, but for those struggling with the pace of 1.5-2year preclinical how would you justify it? Would you scrap some stuff, or have the second year clerkships be lighter in the beginning to allow the continuation of coursework?

Overall, I do wish more schools had clerkshipesque experiences during preclinical years.

I'd love that, but for those struggling with the pace of 1.5-2year preclinical how would you justify it? Would you scrap some stuff, or have the second year clerkships be lighter in the beginning to allow the continuation of coursework?

Step 1 is P/F. That itself is a strong justification. Anki + B&B + Pathoma + UWorld still works and is plenty. A lot of preclinicals is about self learning anyways.

I agree a lighter start to 2nd year clerkships would help. The focus should be very heavily on clerkships and Step 2, not on preclinical stuff. Things begin to click and make a lot more sense on wards.

A 1.5 yr preclinical is a good compromise.

Reactions: 1 users