Why don't they encourage pre-meds to get a BSN?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Member 870

The Member...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
That way, if they don't get into med school on their first try, they can work as a nurse while they reapply--instead of starving to death with a useless Biology, Chemistry, or other liberal arts degree. That's the situation I'm in--working as a lab tech, barely scraping by, when I could be a freshly minted BSN, making bank......****banging head against wall....+pity+

Members don't see this ad.

to answer the title of the thread;
they dont want people to impact those programs anymore than they already are. you dont REALLY want to be a nurse, so let someone who actually does have that opportunity. besides, scraping by in life makes it that much more interesting. necessity is the mother of all inventions, right?

to answer the title of the thread;
they dont want people to impact those programs anymore than they already are. you dont REALLY want to be a nurse, so let someone who actually does have that opportunity. besides, scraping by in life makes it that much more interesting. necessity is the mother of all inventions, right?
I agree with this. Nurses are in short supply, so it would be wrong to take a spot in a nursing program when you only plan to use it as a temporary job, while someone else wants to be a nurse for a living. Not to mention, I have taken a class through my university's nursing school, and if that professor was any sort of representative of nursing school professors, they're not very kind about med students and doctors. He was actually a professor for both the nursing and medical schools and claimed to crack such jokes about nurses to the med students as well, but it was still a little uncomfortable to sit there while he kept poking fun at med students. Oh well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup. Already been stated.

1) There is a nursing shortage in the US. The reason one year BSN programs exist is to try to compensate for this. Becoming a nurse with the intention of applying to medical school is somewhat like being trained by the army to be a soldier, only to enter the Air Force to fly jets. Leaving to become a doctor after becoming trained as a nurse is completely blowing off the program that gave its time to you--it's rude.

2) I know this one from having a conversation with a current outspoken BSN my age (recent grad) who I was talking to about going into nursing (or possibly becoming a nurse practitioner) if med school never worked out. The work of nursing is significantly different than the work of a doctor--Doctors worry about the illness and the cure of the patient. Yes they can care for the whole patient and be compassionate, but, especially in death, it's the nurses who deal with patients everyday, keeping them comfortable. The jobs of a nurse tend to suck a little more too...to quote my friend "I wipe ass everyday, but I still love my job.

That way, if they don't get into med school on their first try, they can work as a nurse while they reapply--instead of starving to death with a useless Biology, Chemistry, or other liberal arts degree. That's the situation I'm in--working as a lab tech, barely scraping by, when I could be a freshly minted BSN, making bank......****banging head against wall....+pity+

The courses that nurses take aren't adequate to prepare you for medical school. The sciences required for a BSN aren't anywhere near as detailed as the premed courses. In fact at my school, there was a separate A&P for allied health (nurses) and one for pre-meds. Everyone knew that the one for premeds was much harder. If you try to do the BSN and take all of the pre-med courses as well, you will likely be in college for 5 years or more, since you only spend 2 years on campus as a nursing student.

The courses that nurses take aren't adequate to prepare you for medical school. The sciences required for a BSN aren't anywhere near as detailed as the premed courses. In fact at my school, there was a separate A&P for allied health (nurses) and one for pre-meds. Everyone knew that the one for premeds was much harder. If you try to do the BSN and take all of the pre-med courses as well, you will likely be in college for 5 years or more, since you only spend 2 years on campus as a nursing student.

There are 4 year Nursing degrees...

There are 4 year Nursing degrees...

That is what a BSN is.

The first 2 years are on campus, the final 2 years are spent doing clinicals.

That is what a BSN is.

Oh alright... I misinterpreted what you said. My apologies.

Why not do any number of majors? People do what they want. The nursing curriculum doesn't follow the other stuff very closely. I have a degree in Information Science Technology, and only a few credits short in German. I could make real bank in any number of areas...I'm premed too..no biggie. People do what they want. FYI...The average salary of a chem major is something like 50k starting...that isn't exactly poor person money to start.

That is what a BSN is.

I guess it depends on the school. My wife spent the first two years taking Gen eds for the BS degree and in the middle of her second year started the Nursing program. All 4 years of nursing school(BSN at least) are spent in the class with clinicals(starting somewhere in the middle of the program...perhaps junior year) scheduled by the students on their own time. They do clinicals on off days and weekends. It isnt as cool as med school where we have the opportunity to do the final two years in a pure clinical setting.

I guess it depends on the school. My wife spent the first two years taking Gen eds for the BS degree and in the middle of her second year started the Nursing program. All 4 years of nursing school(BSN at least) are spent in the class with clinicals(starting somewhere in the middle of the program...perhaps junior year) scheduled by the students on their own time. They do clinicals on off days and weekends. It isnt as cool as med school where we have the opportunity to do the final two years in a pure clinical setting.

This is how my wife's worked as well.

And, I might add that when I went back, I thought about getting into the nursing program and doing it while taking some of my pre-req's (already had a Bio. degree) and was STRONGLY discouraged from doing so...for all the reasons already stated...

That is what a BSN is.

Not necessarily. The BSN candidates have to complete the university prerequisites for a bachelor's degree like all the other undergraduate students. That leaves the rest of the curriculum to be designed unique to the program.

Edit: looks like someone already posted this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup. Already been stated.

1) .......[sic] Becoming a nurse with the intention of applying to medical school is somewhat like being trained by the army to be a soldier, only to enter the Air Force to fly jets. .............--it's rude.

I agree. I am still feeling guilty about this. I could have given my seat to someone who is more motivated and truly loves being at the bedside. I feel like I let the college of nursing down. They spent their resources to educate someone like me only to leave the nursing profession after a year of being an RN.

2) ................[sic] The work of nursing is significantly different than the work of a doctor--Doctors worry about the illness and the cure of the patient. Yes they can care for the whole patient and be compassionate, but, especially in death, it's the nurses who deal with patients everyday, keeping them comfortable. The jobs of a nurse tend to suck a little more too...to quote my friend "I wipe ass everyday, but I still love my job.

Agree, too. Nursing schools use the nursing model vs. the medical model. I was immersed at hard science, which is probably why I had so much difficulty in nursing school. I think the medical model is designed towards targeting the diseases; that is why it involves so much science like patho and pharmacology. The nursing model is focused on caring, comfort, monitoring the patient, etc. The test format, as well as the board exam (NCLEX), is so much different compared to medical school exams. I honestly think that USMLE is easier (as long as you study) than the NCLEX.

Aren't pre-meds actually encouraged to seek majors outside of the sciences? Something about being well-rounded?

If I had it to do over again, I would have gotten a Business or Teaching degree...with a chem or bio minor...

Our Bio major was WEAK in terms of chemistry, and WAY too heavy on crap like Botany and Orinthology. Thankfully, the school has brought in a more "pre-health" oriented prof...and things are improving.

Very small University.

So start college with an idea in your head that you *MAY* fail at your intended goal.

Yep, sounds like youre about right for DO school. :thumbup:

what would you make of someone who worked as a nurse but decided to become a dr or a pa or get into business side?

if you can compete to get a coveted nursing spots, why not? I know at UT, it was tough to get into nursing school since the space is so limited and everyone gets weeded through pre-reqs.

now, i would think many med schools would critically look at someone because of the nature described on threads above.

personally, i would think the early patient contact and learning aspects of healthcare would help them become better physicians.

I personally thought about doing one those fast-track 1yr BSN programs, but my goal is to become a physician, NOT a nurse.

this brings up a good interview question:

why did you choose to become a doctor, nurse is much easier track?

Nursing and Medicine are TOTALLY different.

Perhaps some nurses turned physicians can comment, but I see no benefit to being a nurse prior to going to medical school.

Nursing and Medicine are TOTALLY different.

Perhaps some nurses turned physicians can comment, but I see no benefit to being a nurse prior to going to medical school.

My mom did it.

She explained it was a little easier in her clinical years because it wasn't as awkward to:

take an H&P
write a good SOAP note
stick someone with a needle (for shot, IV, etc.)
scrub in for surgery
suture (she was a surg nurse for a while)
assist in deliveries
tend to all the scut work
etc.

compared to students who were learning this stuff for the first time in med school. By residency, though, she felt her classmates were just as adept as her for all this stuff. Being a nurse for 10 years before becoming a doc just made the transition easier in the clinical realm.

Ease has nothing to do with it. In my opinion, nobody on the healthcare team can perform differential diagnosis, determine the etiology of a condition, and develop and execute a total treatment/management plan for a given presentation in a patient (and manage the patient) better than the physician.

My mom did it.

She explained it was a little easier in her clinical years because it wasn't as awkward to:

take an H&P
write a good SOAP note
stick someone with a needle (for shot, IV, etc.)
scrub in for surgery
suture (she was a surg nurse for a while)
assist in deliveries
tend to all the scut work
etc.

compared to students who were learning this stuff for the first time in med school. By residency, though, she felt her classmates were just as adept as her for all this stuff. Being a nurse for 10 years before becoming a doc just made the transition easier in the clinical realm.

OK< perhaps I can see how being a nurse can help in orienting yourself to the hospital...perhaps knowing some of the name of equipment. But its a totally different world. This is blindingly clear when you are speaking to nurses and interacting with them on a level that they are obviously not accustomed to.

Nurse play a vital role, but much of their concern is making sure "everything is done" and that "resident aware" is written in the chart so that they dont have to answer to the nurse manager.

There is a totally different level of ownership of the patient from the nurse to the physician.

OK< perhaps I can see how being a nurse can help in orienting yourself to the hospital...perhaps knowing some of the name of equipment. But its a totally different world. This is blindingly clear when you are speaking to nurses and interacting with them on a level that they are obviously not accustomed to.

Nurse play a vital role, but much of their concern is making sure "everything is done" and that "resident aware" is written in the chart so that they dont have to answer to the nurse manager.

There is a totally different level of ownership of the patient from the nurse to the physician.

It's a different world where I come from.

I have heard the question "why don't you just become a nurse" many times. First of all, if I was choosing between nurse and doctor, I would choose the easier route: nursing. I am not saying nursing is not hard to get into, because it can actually be quite competitive.

So the answer to the ever popular question.....I don't want to become a nurse. A nurse profession and physician profession are totally different. If I wanted to consider being a nurse, I would just sign up for nursing and not waste my money on applying. I think people who encourage nursing as an alternative may not fully understand the work of a nurse and a doctor. I would actually rather be a teacher than a nurse if medical school doesn't work out. And actually, it isn't fair for someone who doesn't want to make nursing their profession to take up a spot in a nursing school when so many people are fighting for it. That is like interviewing at a med school that you know you will not attend if you get accepted. Why waste the money and someone else's chance?

One last thing...money isn't everything. If you are in it for the money, you won't enjoy it for long. Yes, you can earn great money with a BSN, much better than working in a lab. And yes, a doctor will earn more money, but you need to enter a profession because you have a passion for it, not because there is a chance at making money.

It's a different world where I come from.

I think its the same everywhere...has been IME. Sometimes we are just lucky enough to work with some of the "good ones" that luckily blind us to the attitudes of the masses.

I'm a RN and I haven't yet started medical school yet, but from my experience while working with residents is that the only similarity between our two respective careers is that we both speak to patients.

Nursing knowledge and procedures will assist you in about the first two week of your 3rd year.

I'm a RN and I haven't yet started medical school yet, but from my experience while working with residents is that the only similarity between our two respective careers is that we both speak to patients.

Nursing knowledge and procedures will assist you in about the first two week of your 3rd year.

:thumbup:

did this thread get JP banned?

Asking so I know what not to say in order to not get banned (if you guys have a problem with me asking).

I chose to become a nurse instead of an MD, despite having the grades/scores to do otherwise.

I raised a child in my late teens, early 20s - a family member's child, and I was treated for cancer in that time. I could have chosen to start med school late, but did not want to make the sacrifices necessary. I could have chosen to give the child over to other family. I felt that raising a child, taking time for myself and doing things, like seeing the world were more "valuable" to ME and my priorities in life, than becoming an MD and having the "power" that MDs have.

I have seen a lot of MDs that envy what I have done as a traveler nurse in later years - I have a lot more mobility than they do. I have worked at the NIH, at JHUH, at many of the most famous facilities in this nation. I have had medical care and have met some amazing people, seen great places. And yet I can take a break, to help a relative in a distant place, do health care in foreign locales, and help with US relief. I don't have to worry about a "practice" or "employees". I am currently work a regular staff position for a year to renovate my mother's and my child's homes nearby. These are things that would be more difficult as an MD. I would have to find someone to "cover", etc.

I don't desire a lot of money or power. I see what I do as valuable to the patient as what MDs do, though different.

Thus my choice was appropriate for me.

Nursing is a different field than medicine, thus not really appropriate as a "fall back" position.

Be aware also that there are extensive waiting lists at many nursing programs. Does it really make sense to possibly endure a waiting list for something to "fall back" on, when what you want is Medicine...truly a different field.

Nursing is a different field than medicine, thus not really appropriate as a "fall back" position.

Be aware also that there are extensive waiting lists at many nursing programs. Does it really make sense to possibly endure a waiting list for something to "fall back" on, when what you want is Medicine...truly a different field.

Nursing is different, no doubt. But I hate this fall-back crap. Anything a person decides to do after not getting into medical school is going to be a fall-back. If that person significantly gets involved in nursing and decides it's for them, good. Also, I know plenty of one year post-bacc BSN programs that are accepting plenty of people.

I think the rest of your post is totally true and worthwhile. I do think the jobs are different and it takes a special and specific type of person to become a nurse. I just hate hearing that propoganda-like pompousness (often fed from nursing schools). Nursing is facing a shortage and should be encouraging people to come into their field. If people aren't right for the work, they'll realize it without being lectured.

Edit: Shame about Dr. JPH, I thought he was pretty insightful in most threads.

Edit #2: I still also do hold the position that BSN is not a good major for applying to med school.

I don't get it... if someone were banned, then how are they still posting with a name clearly displaying that they are banned? Is it a joke?

Anyway, on topic, my mom is a nurse-turned-physician. An LPN to DO, actually. She seems to think her background has helped her in relating to patients... I guess meaning that when she sends them off to the hospital or out to get some test, she is intimately aware of what their experience will be. For some reason, she gets a lot of nurses who come to her as patients. Guess word gets out in their circles. I don't know how their expectations of her will differ from any other doctor, but a lot of them will specifically tell her that they've come to her because they heard she was a really good nurse (she still lives and practices in the same community and is on staff at her former hospital).

I think its a very smart idea to get a bachelor's that actually "certifies" you to do something. I am a little envious of the few nurses/EMTs I know in med school who are able to work per diem, picking up 8 hours here and there for extra money. You can't find work that easily with most degrees. I have a teaching certification, which would allow me to teach night GED classes, summer school or tutor at centers like Sylvan for about $30.00/hr part time (that's what my old school system will pay people, anyway) but I'm not sure if I'll actually do that.

I chose to become a nurse instead of an MD, despite having the grades/scores to do otherwise.

I raised a child in my late teens, early 20s - a family member's child, and I was treated for cancer in that time. I could have chosen to start med school late, but did not want to make the sacrifices necessary. I could have chosen to give the child over to other family. I felt that raising a child, taking time for myself and doing things, like seeing the world were more "valuable" to ME and my priorities in life, than becoming an MD and having the "power" that MDs have.

I have seen a lot of MDs that envy what I have done as a traveler nurse in later years - I have a lot more mobility than they do. I have worked at the NIH, at JHUH, at many of the most famous facilities in this nation. I have had medical care and have met some amazing people, seen great places. And yet I can take a break, to help a relative in a distant place, do health care in foreign locales, and help with US relief. I don't have to worry about a "practice" or "employees". I am currently work a regular staff position for a year to renovate my mother's and my child's homes nearby. These are things that would be more difficult as an MD. I would have to find someone to "cover", etc.

I don't desire a lot of money or power. I see what I do as valuable to the patient as what MDs do, though different.

Thus my choice was appropriate for me.

Your post sounds a little bit uppity to me. My mother was a nurse for 10 years and wanted more so she went back and became a physician. My brother and I don't ever begrudge her for that and my parents are still happily married.

Just because you made that decision doesn't mean it's not ok for others to make that decision.

I'm glad you went with the career you loved, but you really hit a nerve with some things you said here.

I'll second that Megboo. My mom also went back to school while I was young and our family is perfectly happy. I resent the subtle implication that people pursue medicine for the "money and power."

p.s. There ARE doctors that travel around too. Look up "Locum tenens" for more details. We had a radiologist who was all over the US to fill in for various docs that were gone for whatever reason.

I'd just stick with the different gig part of the argument.

Nursing is facing a shortage and should be encouraging people to come into their field. If people aren't right for the work, they'll realize it without being lectured.

As far as lecturing, I do not see any "lecturing". Just a simple statement of the fact that "Nursing" is different, than medicine...and that someone that is deermined to be an MD will probably not be happy with the difference. They may adjust over time, but just changing to Nursing (as the OP has started the thread about) isn't going to satisfy them.

And no one is discouraging nursing. But a major part of this "shortage" - which is a "questionable" shortage, given that there are 500,000 documented and licensed nurses in this country (over 2.5 times the amount of the so-called estimated "shortfall) - is related to lack of nursing programs, and the large number of nurses that graduate but do not work as nurses after graduation and/or licensure. Not to mention the conditions. The percentage that do not last two years after graduation is quite high. They often decide that nursing is not for them or choose to be away from the bedside. Many stay for the minimum 2 years in ICU, to qualify for anesthesis programs (which annoy SDNers), or go immediately to NP or DNP (also annoying SDNers). Either way, they are not staying at the bedside.

Having someone take up a space in a BSN class (which is what the point of this thread was about) "just in case", when there is a waiting list of those who which to seriously pursue nursing as a career, just worsens the shortage. Nursing school is becoming finite resource with serious limits in capacity......not unlike say MEDICAL school. How many med schools or residencies are going to be happy with an applicant for their limited positions, who says, "Oh, I am just doing this if I fail at X major/career". And if you are the person that takes medicine seriously, and you get passed up for residency for someone who isn't serious and quits...........

As for being pompous....in what way? I have CLEARLY stated that this was my choice and preference, in several places. That does not presume that others' choices are not valid FOR THEM, based on their lives and preferences.

If you note, invariably on these BB, there is a theme of "I went to med school because of :money, independence, power, etc. Some of us do not require that to know that we are helping the patient, regardless of medical interventions. And we are satisfied with that. Others need that independence or money or "power" to feel that they are making that difference or to be satisfied with what they do in patients' lives. Different strokes for different folks. Viva La Difference.

As for being pompous....in what way? I have CLEARLY stated that this was my choice and preference, in several places. That does not presume that others' choices are not valid FOR THEM, based on their lives and preferences.

If you note, invariably on these BB, there is a theme of "I went to med school because of :money, independence, power, etc. Some of us do not require that to know that we are helping the patient, regardless of medical interventions. And we are satisfied with that. Others need that independence or money or "power" to feel that they are making that difference or to be satisfied with what they do in patients' lives. Different strokes for different folks. Viva La Difference.

Yes you have clearly stated your choices, but yes you do presume that others' choices are not valid as you talk about power-hungry or money-hungry people seeking to become physicians rather than continue on with nursing training or enter an allied field altogether. You put power-hungry and money-hungry in a negative light (as most would) and now you expect to backpaddle and say "oh, that's not what I meant".

Yes, it is what you meant, and it was pompous. You are not the only person to ever come to the nursing vs. physician crossroad and for some to go ahead and choose to be a physician doesn't necessarily mean they are money or power hungey. Maybe it means they really want to do the job of being a physician, or did you not think about that?

If you base your opinions on the attitudes of pre-DO and pre-allo folks on SDN, you are definitely shortsighted. In the REAL world, people who switch from nursing or other allied health or other careers (as non-trads) probably aren't as money or power-hungry as you think. For example, as a non-trad SLP in private practice, I could continue on with my current job and live VERY comfortably - enough that my husband could retire at 40 (he's 37). But it's not about the money, see. Or the power. It's about wanting more in my career. If that's not enough, wander over to the non-trad forum and read people's stories or go to www.oldpremeds.com and see what they have to say.

Seems like you are stuck on either jealousy or bitterness for physicians by your posting. I hope that's not the case, but if it is, it would serve you well to stop posting in the pre-med forums and stick to the clinician forums where you'll get better responses.

Though this is a bit off topic, but how are you barely scraping by as a lab tech? I've been an MLT for the last seven and am just finishing my MT, and if you're an MT you're not making much less than a BSN. At least that's how it is in my neck of the woods.

For some reason, this topic has to do with nursing per the OP's post?

So I guess that nurses have no place addressing the differences in nursing and medicine, and why the OP's position is not appropriate?

So only DO's are equipped to discuss nursing programs? I think you need to look at yourself for some of that pomposity, of which you speak.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
It was questioned somewhere here why people become nurses. I have explained my reasons. You do not have to like them. And after the length of time that I have worked, and having worked for the best and the worst, I stick by what I have said. Others can misinterpret it/define/or interpret as they wish.

As a nurse, I would think that would be appropriate. But I suppose that only DOs and premeds are qualified to speak to that.....
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Perhaps we should go back to discussing the topic of the thread, rather than doing faulty psychoanalysis. The analysis wastes band space and does little to advance the topic. Useless mudslinging can be better done in the lounge.

OH snap! Come on....group hug all. I want you all in here. Just don't stick me with the hepatitis needle or anything.

Perhaps we should go back to discussing the topic of the thread, rather than doing faulty psychoanalysis. The analysis wastes band space and does little to advance the topic. Useless mudslinging can be better done in the lounge.

Yes, of course, the old "change the subject" tactic.

The only mudslinging was done on your part by questioning the motives of those who choose medicine over nursing. You came right out and called physicians power and money-hungry for doing what they do instead of being a nurse.

This is a public bulletin board where a plethora of ideas are thrown around. You can't tell someone to stop posting because of "bandwidth" issues. :rolleyes: If you are really concerned about bandwidth, you could remove yourself and your posts :idea:

Yes, of course, the old "change the subject" tactic.

The only mudslinging was done on your part by questioning the motives of those who choose medicine over nursing. You came right out and called physicians power and money-hungry for doing what they do instead of being a nurse.

This is a public bulletin board where a plethora of ideas are thrown around. You can't tell someone to stop posting because of "bandwidth" issues. :rolleyes: If you are really concerned about bandwidth, you could remove yourself and your posts :idea:

At no time have I told ANYONE to stop posting

I was not the one that suggested that my ideas were not welcome here as I am a clinician, despite the fact that the topic is about nursing. You did, however, say that nursing opinions do not belong on a thread about getting a nursing degree.

I am the one trying to stay on topic and stay "on subject", instead of indulging in unnecessary pychoanalysis.

I did not personally attack you. I noted that some MDs go for the degree because of issues with power/independence and money. Many of the posts on this BB reflect this. At no time have I said "power-hungry" nor indicated that there is anything wrong for valuing any of those things - they are important and there is nothing wrong for that. Nor did I ever say ALL people get an MD for that.

Wanting a certain level of power/control and being "power-hungry" are two very different things. There is a clear distinction.

And at no time did I make it personal, attacking you specifically for your personal beliefs. You, on the other hand, did make it personal and insinuate that because you chose to offended by comment, and then tell me to post elsewhere, when I chose not to waste time on a urinating match. Cat fights are a useless waste of my time, and just make both participants look bad.

Though this is a bit off topic, but how are you barely scraping by as a lab tech? I've been an MLT for the last seven and am just finishing my MT, and if you're an MT you're not making much less than a BSN. At least that's how it is in my neck of the woods.

Some "necks of the woods" pay better than others, and others have a higher COL.

At no time have I told ANYONE to stop posting

I was not the one that suggested that my ideas were not welcome here as I am a clinician, despite the fact that the topic is about nursing. You did, however, say that nursing opinions do not belong on a thread about getting a nursing degree.

I am the one trying to stay on topic and stay "on subject", instead of indulging in unnecessary pychoanalysis.

I did not personally attack you. I noted that some MDs go for the degree because of issues with power/independence and money. Many of the posts on this BB reflect this. At no time have I said "power-hungry" nor indicated that there is anything wrong for valuing any of those things - they are important and there is nothing wrong for that. Nor did I ever say ALL people get an MD for that.

Wanting a certain level of power/control and being "power-hungry" are two very different things. There is a clear distinction.

And at no time did I make it personal, attacking you specifically for your personal beliefs. You, on the other hand, did make it personal and insinuate that because you chose to offended by comment, and then tell me to post elsewhere, when I chose not to waste time on a urinating match. Cat fights are a useless waste of my time, and just make both participants look bad.

Funny, you never come out and "say" certain things - you rest on implication, so when someone calls you on what you're saying you can go back and claim you never wrote any of that. And then you cry "catfight" because I happen to take issue with what you post here. :rolleyes:

I never said nursing shouldn't be discussed here, I said digs at those who choose medicine over nursing is ludicrous.

You didn't use the words "money or power hungry" per se, but you definitely place people who choose medicine over nursing in a negative light. I'm not the only one who noticed and responded btw.

Oh, and I never personally attacked you either. I question your posts and motives, but have never personally attacked you. Just because you write something that sounds pseudo-intellectual here doesn't mean it's right. I've had my @ss handed to me a few times thinking that. Open your eyes and think before you speak when it comes to comparing nursing to physicians. You've indicated medicine is all about the power and money and that nursing is about being a better parent and less selfish (referring to post 29). You've even indicated that disagreeing with you isn't worthy of "bandwidth" space.

Megboo are you sure you don't want to go into law? you do a fabulous job and making your point and defending it rationally and factually

Megboo are you sure you don't want to go into law? you do a fabulous job and making your point and defending it rationally and factually

I thought about law once but changed my mind. Medicine is where it's at for me :)

P.S. Don't you have the MCAT coming up soon? Congrats on the LMU interview!

I thought about law once but changed my mind. Medicine is where it's at for me :)

P.S. Don't you have the MCAT coming up soon? Congrats on the LMU interview!

I think that was a good strategy. I thought about law once too, but then quickly changed my mind when I realized it would entail being a lawyer.

MCAT in Tminus 4 days and counting:eek:

Well, if I don't get into medicine, I won't be doing nursing, so it would have been a waste of time for me.

I am so glad you brought this up! I am just finishing my BS in Medical Technology. To be honest, I don't know why more people do not choose this path. I had thought about taking the nursing/premed route, however, after reviewing the nursing curriculum I felt that the there were too few premed preparatory science courses. While I'm not knocking that route, it just didn't seem for me. At my school the Medical Technology curriculum almost parallels that of a Biology Degree for a total of 35 hours of Biology, Chemistry minor, and an additional 40 hours of Clinical Laboratory Science during the clinical-intern year. The Clinical Laboratory Science courses are essentially in-depth biology courses with an emphasis on making a clinical laboratory diagnosis. For me, this path just seemed ideal and really seemed to fit my own personal interests while giving me the opportunity to gain some healthcare experience. You also receive a great deal of knowledge in terms of developing a diagnosis; a background that is impossible to receive in the classroom (80% of a physicians diagnosis comes from the clinical laboratory). While MT's know absolutely nothing about treating patients (that's simply not their job) they do know how to correlate the laboratory results with a diagnosis. You have to know what the results are indicating so that you will know rather they are critical values, a rare disease, normal reportable results, or erroneous results that need to be repeated. The depth of knowledge that a MT must possess in Microbiology, Hematology, Serology, Electrophoresis, Blood-Banking (one of the easiest areas of the hospital to kill a patient if you don't know what you're doing), and Mycology is also something that a lot of people fail to realize. The downside, however, is that the field is underappreciated, which is why I don't plan on staying in it long. Many people believe that a MT (with a BS) and a phlebotomist is the same thing. They look at the people in the lab as *****s despite the fact that the only people that do not possess a degree are those that work in the specimen processing room. Everyone else that works in the lab that I am at has a BS, MS, PhD, or MD. They do not even hire MLT (associate degree) because there is no shortage of MT grads in the area that are looking for work Sorry to stray/rant, just thought I would mention that while speaking on the topic.

The upside however, is that you will have a guaranteed job in healthcare with a solid background in science/premed and decent salary ($54,467 according to salary wizard, depending on where you work/live) until/if you start medical school. While I'm not knocking the traditional pre-med degrees or nursing, I just think students should major in what they like and not what they feel they have to major in to fit the traditional premed mold. I guess it really just boils down to what you're interested in.

Sorry, Not into fake displays of affection, but with you it wouldn't be fake ;)

Oh baby. I'll hold you to that. ;) I just got done playing 2 hours of tennis, but I'll lift the post exercise hug ban just for you.