why don't you want to be a nurse?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dulcina

=)
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I started volunteering recently, and I realized that I have no good reason to be a dr over a nurse.

I'm now considering changing tracks--what are other ppl's reasons for choosing one over the other? thx!

Members don't see this ad.

So I started volunteering recently, and I realized that I have no good reason to be a dr over a nurse.

I'm now considering changing tracks--what are other ppl's reasons for choosing one over the other? thx!

are you wanting help for secondary essays.

Well, personally, I just look ridiculous in printed scrubs ;) haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why don't you spend a little extra time watching what nurses do all day as you go through your volunteer experience. I bet your opinion will change.

Uhh... we could spoon-feed you answers or not, but it really doesn't matter because unless you figure it out, you'll flop on interview answers.

The only "good" reasons for choosing one over the other are the personal ones. The careers, and the preparation for them, are different. Just like there are many specialties for physicians, there are also many tracks through nursing. Only you can decide which is the most appropriate for you. It's good that you are thinking of these things now, before you've gone regrettably far down either path. That way, once you decide to commit, you will know you've made the right personal choice, and understand your own reasons.

I'd rather be a researcher than a nurse. For me, the science aspect of medicine trumps the humanity part of it. At the end of the day I want to be the guy solving the puzzles, not the one caring for the patients.

The best way is to talk to current doctors and nurses (through volunteer work and shadowing). They will give you an honest opinion of what you're in for.

Its really a personal choice. Like others have said you need to figure it out because its a common interview question.

Personally until my Sophomore year I hadn't decided whether I wanted NP, PA or MD. And I really really want a family and a strong family life. So NP and PA were starting to look a lot better than MD.

Ultimately my final decision came down to: I like a challenge and have nothing better to do for the next 7 years. More than that working in the free clinic I worked at convinced me that working in free clinics was something I wanted to do for the rest of my life and I would have more opportunities to work in/run free clinics with an MD than a PA or NP.

Nurses cannot perform surgery.

Uhh... we could spoon-feed you answers or not, but it really doesn't matter because unless you figure it out, you'll flop on interview answers.

no interviews yet =) I wont even apply until i make a decision!

For me its a decision of whether or not to "settle". Nurses are a very important part of patient care, and honestly where I work in the ER the doctors would be completely lost without the nurses, especially the good ones. They all know a very large deal about caring for critical patients, but they dont have the experience to make the judgement calls of when to give certain meds, etc.

Nursing school is also shorter and in my opinion easier than med school. But as someone has said above, they are used for different tasks. Nurses are available to take care of patients and to do a majority of the paperwork involved in starting a patients care - med lists, allergies, etc... The docs also ask about these, but the docs are more interested in actually setting into motion the process of uncovering problems and making a diagnoses on the patient. Granted some of the older nurses can do almost everything without a doctors prompting, the final decisions still remain on the doctor, and many of the nurses are nurses because of this.

Dont know if that helped any, but there you go. My $0.02.

-Ryan

For me its a decision of whether or not to "settle". Nurses are a very important part of patient care, and honestly where I work in the ER the doctors would be completely lost without the nurses, especially the good ones. They all know a very large deal about caring for critical patients, but they dont have the experience to make the judgement calls of when to give certain meds, etc.

Nursing school is also shorter and in my opinion easier than med school. But as someone has said above, they are used for different tasks. Nurses are available to take care of patients and to do a majority of the paperwork involved in starting a patients care - med lists, allergies, etc... The docs also ask about these, but the docs are more interested in actually setting into motion the process of uncovering problems and making a diagnoses on the patient. Granted some of the older nurses can do almost everything without a doctors prompting, the final decisions still remain on the doctor, and many of the nurses are nurses because of this.

Dont know if that helped any, but there you go. My $0.02.

-Ryan

thank you, very helpful