Why DPT/DOT are paid less than diagnostic imaging (x-ray, ultrasound) Norcal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bearfaced

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN'ers,

I am torn between going after a doctorate in physical therapy or master's in occupational therapy. But my dilemma lies in that fact that here in the Bay Area, Northern California imaging techs whom only need an AS for program acceptance make more money than physical or occupational therapists! More money for less schooling you say? X-ray programs are two years, ultrasound programs are 1.5 years. I was somewhat shocked to learn this as usually higher education equates to a higher wage/salary. With Kaiser's imaging program, one finishes with a bachelor's of science degree. A doctorate or master's is even sweeter but money takes the cake when we are all in the rat race of a struggle! I know that money isn't everything but I have shadowed in all areas and think I would do well in them all.

Here are some examples as to how much UCSF pays its starting per-diem (non benefited) staff here in the Bay Area. Don't forget cost of living here is the one of the highest in the nation. As you can see, imaging techs make more in every field than OTs or PTs. I wonder why this is? Do health organizations not think highly enough of the OT/PT field? Y

Physical therapist $59.62/hr
27307858178_1f1083e183_c.jpg

Occupational therapist $58.48/hr
27307844518_296a5eac2e_c.jpg

Radiologic technologist(x-ray tech) $60.40/hr
27307844588_6889ded5f1_c.jpg

Ultrasound tech/Sonographer $67.84/hr
40497802614_edd5c0f67b_c.jpg

Radiation therapist $70.67/hr
39371290260_67aae5c036_c.jpg

If you are a government worker, your earnings are public info. Here is an example of how much x-ray/CT techs can make in a year. Note their regular pay, OT, and other pay. Other pay comes from taking call where you can make substantially more being on 'standby'. This is insane when I learned about this! These people are making well into a quarter million a year with just a highschool/AS degree and a relatively easy and stress free job to boot!!
40469126444_7f2d712f29_c.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think it's nuts, but at the end of the day, I want to be a PT, not an ultrasound tech or respiratory therapist or anything else. Those types of careers do not appeal to me what-so-ever. I understand the debt is much less, and as a result, the pay much greater, but I want to do something I know for a fact I'm going to be very passionate about. Do I think PTs need to be paid more for not only the doctorate level degree but also the amount of debt taken out? Heck yes! I absolutely do. They are sorely underpaid. But I know that will never get better without people in the profession being advocates for said profession.

You just gotta ask yourself if it's a profession that's going to keep your interest. Making a bunch of money means little if you're not interested at all in what you're doing. Part of why I want to be a PT is there's just so much you can do as one and so many different environments you can work in. From what I understand, you can make 6 figures starting out doing something like home health or travel PT.

Reactions: 2 users